Author Topic: Newbie installing a large outdoor wood fired oven - waiting for the cure  (Read 718 times)

Offline Scarbelly

Hello
My name is Gary and my retirement gift to me is a Forno Rustico 100 wood fired oven which is being constructed in my back yard. 

Here is the link to the oven
http://www.dolcevitaspecialtyimports.com/products/forno-rustico-100

We are is still in the construction phase but are nearing the home stretch if the rain stops. The refractory cement was put on the joints a week and a half ago so I can start the small fire cures in another week and a half.

We teach a gourmet cooking class to teenagers in the Fallbrook 4H program and I am a moderator on a smoking forum so food is a big part of our lives. 

I am really looking forward from learning from all of you. I have been lurking for a few months.
If anyone knows of classes in the Southern Calif area please let me know. I am always looking to learn.

Offline Jet_deck

Welcomy Gary.  In the literature it says that these ovens can reach 550 to 650 degrees. Do you know if they can go higher?  I am sure the kids will learn alot either way. :pizza:

Literature : http://www.dolcevitaspecialtyimports.com/italian-quality
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Scarbelly

I was told that it was the floor of the oven not the oven temp they referred to so I think the info is misleading. At least I hope so  

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
I was told that it was the floor of the oven not the oven temp they referred to so I think the info is misleading. At least I hope so  

Welcome!

What kind of pizzas are you looking to make? 550F-650F would be a problem for Neapolitan pizzas. Perhaps they are just being cautious to avoid liability.  

Offline Scarbelly

We are both thin crust lovers but we put a double layer of fire brick under the unit and 4 layers of insulation topped with several inches of pearlite and the guy who sold it to me said we should be able to get it up to 900+
The base alone has 30 bags of concrete in the support walls and the guy building it has 20 ovens under his belt. He says this is one of the best ones he has ever built so I am hoping we are on the correct path.

We plan to use this oven for much more than pizza - I have a source for suckling pigs and we are serious bread bakers.

Does anyone here make their own cheese? We make mozzarella almost every week and Ricotta is next. Smoked mozzarella is incredible if you have never tried it

Online TXCraig1

Very cool. I look forward to seeing what you do with your new oven. Pigs are a very interesting idea. We hunt a lot of wild pigs.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Scarbelly

Very cool. I look forward to seeing what you do with your new oven. Pigs are a very interesting idea. We hunt a lot of wild pigs.

Craig

Craig
Here is a link to one of the recipes I have been looking at. It uses a shoulder but says it can be adapted for a whole pig.  
http://www.losangelesovenworks.com/recipes/porchetta.php
Gary

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Italian quality I like that  :) do you know where these ovens are made? Or of what material?
Looks nice! This forum and all the good people  will help you for sure to get the most from it?
Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Scarbelly

Welcomy Gary.  In the literature it says that these ovens can reach 550 to 650 degrees. Do you know if they can go higher?  I am sure the kids will learn alot either way. :pizza:

Literature : http://www.dolcevitaspecialtyimports.com/italian-quality

Distributor called me back to say 450C or *850F

Offline Scarbelly

Italian quality I like that  :) do you know where these ovens are made? Or of what material?
Looks nice! This forum and all the good people  will help you for sure to get the most from it?
Thanks
John

They are made in Italy from Alumina and High Temp Concrete per the dealer

Offline Scarbelly

Re: Newbie installing a large outdoor wood fired oven - waiting for the cure
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
Here is a pic of the progress so far

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Newbie installing a large outdoor wood fired oven - waiting for the cure
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
Very Nice !! Gable roof? Bet you cant wait to make that first pie!!  :chef:  :pizza:
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan