Author Topic: Unlearning my way  (Read 367 times)

Offline jtwg

Unlearning my way
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »
My name is Josh and I live in San Diego. I first learned to make pizzas around 1990 with the boom in California-style pizzas. Jeff Varasano has a funny item on his webpage about the "same terrible recipe", which is what I learned to make where I worked. We'd make the dough at 3 in the afternoon and make pizzas from it at 5 pm, rolling the dough out with a rolling pin - in short, we did everything wrong.

After honeymooning in Italy and coming home ruined for local pizza I started seeking out Neapolitan pizza, and then New Haven pizza, and now have begun trying to produce quality pizza at home. I've been working with a dual baking-stone setup in a standard gas oven, and after getting the stones up to 680 degrees I've even managed to get some blistering. I just got a Hearth Kit that I am anxious to try.

I've lurked on the forums for quite some time, reading here and there, and have been very impressed by all the great knowledge here.

Offline Guts

Re: Unlearning my way
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:05:43 AM »
hello from El Cajon, Josh.

This is a really interesting site and a lot of friendly people here, which helped me immensely. Although I'm just a novice pie maker. I'm always open for new ideas. Got any pictures of your pies?
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline jtwg

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
I do have some pix.

It doesn't look like I can just add them as HTML, so I guess I'll cluster them.

My first pies were based on a Serious Eats recipe for a no-knead Sicilian pan pizza. I started w/ half-sheet pans, and then got some 1/4-sheets so I could make smaller ones for my wife and I for dinner. I did them with a baking stone on the floor of a gas oven, with another baking stone above, hitting temps around 650.

Images are below.

Offline jtwg

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »
I moved on to working with a NYC-style dough from Reinhart's book. The first two burned horribly, so I moved the stones up to the center of the oven. Still was getting temps around 670 between the two stones. After the NYC style, which I liked OK but found a little too bready in the cornicione, I attempted the Mozza recipe which I found online. I found a modified version with long rests, and used that. I altered it a bit myself, by appropriating Varasano's methodology. First results were extremely encouraging, though I will need to now make sure to turn the pizza midway through to get more even blistering.

Offline Guts

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
thanks for sharing those are some good looking pies. I cook in a gas oven with only one stone. It will initially go up to about 635 and if making multiple pizzas a recovery time of only about 5 to 10 minutes.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:59:13 AM »
Nice looking pizzas!
Don

Offline Scarbelly

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
Hello Josh and Guts from Fallbrook - just getting started in this adventure. I am building a WFO in the patio and excited to get going

Your pies look great 

Offline jtwg

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

It's definitely been fun learning how to do this.