Author Topic: 14 day cold fermentation?  (Read 2079 times)

buceriasdon

Re: 14 day cold fermentation?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »
Popped a breakfast pizza into my little gas oven at 630F. and got much better crust browning but I knew I would. I used Oaxaca cheese but a different brand, browned up the same as the first. I will say the flavor of the crust did improve. I measured out 156 grams of cold dough and formed the skin on parchment paper using sifted flour on top to keep the mini rolling pin from sticking. Both egg yolks broke while loading, no big deal. In a couple of days I'll do another but I'll use a wetter cheese like panela. Breakfast pizzas are a nice change of pace, if you've never done one, try it.
Don
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:16:51 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline Pizza3.14

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
Don,

That is quite the difference!  I'm glad to see that the color developed and that you said the flavor was better.  My plan is to cook one pizza tomorrow and then one on Tuesday.

I have never tried the breakfast pizza.  When I was in Germany guys would go down to Italy and talk about it but since then I had never really given it more thought.  It does seem like it would be a change of pace.  I will have to give it a shot.

One thing I like to do every once in a while to keep things fresh is the taco pizza. 

Thanks for posting your results.  I hope I can come up with a similar pizza. 

Offline Pizza3.14

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »
I baked the dough today.  All in all pretty good.  I think that I would have liked to let it go a little longer, perhaps as long as 14 days however due to the upcoming Lent I had to get while the getting was good. 

I thought that the crust was much softer than others I have had.  I imagine this is due to the hydration.  I would have liked just a bit more rise in the crust but that is nit picking.  The flavor was pretty mild but it was present and I can imagine that if given time to mature the dough could be quite flavorful. 

I did let it set out on the counter for about 45 min before cooking.  with plenty of flour it was not to bad opening the dough. 

Here is the final result. 

pizzapan