Author Topic: flour storage and BPA  (Read 1055 times)

Offline trenz

flour storage and BPA
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:50 AM »
I have been reading about bpa in plastics lately and am trying to avoid when possible. When I store my flour I leave it in the bag as I only buy 5lbs at a time. I have been using a Carlisle 4 qt polycarbonate container. I like this because it is clear so I can see the item inside and it has handles so it is easy to grab out of my pantry.

Cambro has a bpa free translucent one  you can see inside but I chose this over the Cambro because of the handles. If the food is not touching the container is the bpa a non issue or should I go with something else? A 5lb bag could last me a few months since i really have to keep my carbs low and I have a couple of different ones open at any given time, meaning the flour will be sitting for a while.

I know many restaurants use the Cambros but I am trying to do what I can at home.

I was wondering what you guys thought.

Thanks

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: flour storage and BPA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
I use an old, and i mean real old, square plastic container my mom used when i was a kid (atleast 50 yrs old!) but all i keep in it is sugar.  Still here so I guess it's not that "unsafe".  As for the flour i keep on my counter i use an all-clad container that holds five pounds, but it is stainless with a glass lid. 
I'm sure someone on the forums has better info than me.
tom

Offline Pizzamaster

Re: flour storage and BPA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
You get more BPA out of a tomato can than you ever would from a flour container.