Author Topic: Best method of dough forming?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline TimEggers

• Homemade pizza and home roasted coffee! YUM!
    • Pan Roasting Coffee
Best method of dough forming?
« on: August 24, 2005, 03:03:20 PM »
A matter of opinion I am sure as well as what the desired crust is.  However what method do you prefer and why?  I have been working on my hand forming technique and making some nice progress.  My crusts are now more bread-like while still retaining a nice chewy texture.  In the past I have used a rolling pin and the crust was thinner, denser with an enhanced firmness.

I have also found it easier to hand form a thick crust style pizza probably because it takes less forming.  None-the-less I think that hand forming has some distinct advantages especially when it comes to preserving delicate dough structure and gas content.

I am sure this is old news to you upper level pizza makers but I am curious to get a feel for what others are doing with their pizzas and I am also curious as to how you progressed to the level that you are at.

Thank you and happy baking!

piroshok

Re: Best method of dough forming?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 05:50:07 PM »
Hi Tim
Without being rude take a look at the pizza Neapolitan style pizzaiolo Ciro Gallo at work
http://wwwlapizza.altervista.org/cirogallo/CIMG0011.AVI

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 06:25:20 PM »
You have to paste into the browser (or at least I did).  Otherwise, it goes to the altervista homepage (odd).

I've never seen dough formed that way.  I've seen sheeted out, and hand slapping, but not slapping on a table and stretching like that.  Interesting...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 10:22:17 AM »
Every pizzeria in Naples used this method to form the pies when I was there.  As Marco noted when he originally posted they do this faster than pictured, usually in just three or four slaps. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 10:24:55 AM by scott r »

piroshok

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 05:49:49 AM »
Every pizzeria in Naples used this method to form the pies when I was there.  As Marco noted when he originally posted they do this faster than pictured, usually in just three or four slaps. 
Well yeas if you take the dough pie and rotate it slapping it you get to extend the pie or use pizzamike method to drop the dough to strecht it to desired lenght. Pizza dough doesn't necessarily have to be round you know

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 06:21:19 PM »
Pizzamike is not a professional pizzaiolo! (I see that you have been hanging around pizza.it)

Anyway, there is another point to take into consideration:

A proper neapolitan dough is not very elaastic.

My dough, after 2 slaps has reached almost the desired size. To complete the process, I strech it a bit further when I pull the disc on the pizza peel.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 06:32:37 AM by pizzanapoletana »

piroshok

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 06:42:57 PM »
I see that you have been hanging around pizza.it
Nothing wrong with that? I hope
Unfortunately can read much more than I can write but I have a lot of fun
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 06:49:20 PM by piroshok »

pizzapan