Author Topic: school is out for summer  (Read 1029 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
school is out for summer
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
I started summer vacation yesterday and turned the gas off on my ovens Friday.   I am missing the ovens already- I have 2 slices for lunch everyday........  Thinking of making a pizza/breads/bagels in our home oven just doesn't sound like any fun.  I was at a friends house last week and we made pizzas in her oven.  It was a real drag.  I am spoiled.  I am enjoying the time off from teaching though.  It is a great perk of my job.   If anyone in the Columbus Ohio area wants to make some pizzas this summer I will gladly fire them up!  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: school is out for summer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
Never know when I might make it up through your way on a trip back to sweet home Chicago....

Maybe it's time you made an LBE Walter...a 'lil something to fill the void?  >:D
Enjoy your vacation man; you sure have earned it.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
Hi Bob:  You are welcome here anytime.  I have a full bath/bed set up in my recording studio (a detached building on our property) that can save you a few bucks on a hotel.  Our only rules are ok with dogs and non smoking.   I smoke stuff outside in a nice smoker - ribs, briskets, etc.   I had to a search to find out what a LBE is.  It looks interesting for sure and will keep it in my thoughts.   Walter

scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Walter, while vintage deck ovens can have tremendous sentimental value, the sentimental value isn't what bakes the pizza. It's the heat that's responsible for that  ;D

I'm not sure what bake time you're currently at with the blodgetts, but, if it's 7 minutes or more, then I think you've got about a 95% chance of making the exact same pizza you were making at the school in a home oven- with a little ingenuity and the right hearth material. It's just a matter of taking a look at your home oven, seeing what it can do, and choosing the best hearth for that scenario.  Some home ovens are just plain too weak to match the output of a blodgett, but that's few and far between.

LBEs are pretty major DIY endeavors.  If you enjoy tinkering, by all means, LBE's are a lot of fun, but 'blodgettizing' a home oven is way easier.  If you don't want to heat up the house with the oven during the summer, again, it depends on the bake time, but I think you can blodgettize most propane grills.

You won't have the kids and the bustle and all the other excitement, but if you're missing your pizza, you can do that at home pretty easily.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:39 PM »
Walter, while vintage deck ovens can have tremendous sentimental value, the sentimental value isn't what bakes the pizza. It's the heat that's responsible for that  ;D

I'm not sure what bake time you're currently at with the blodgetts, but, if it's 7 minutes or more, then I think you've got about a 95% chance of making the exact same pizza you were making at the school in a home oven- with a little ingenuity and the right hearth material. It's just a matter of taking a look at your home oven, seeing what it can do, and choosing the best hearth for that scenario.  Some home ovens are just plain too weak to match the output of a blodgett, but that's few and far between.

LBEs are pretty major DIY endeavors.  If you enjoy tinkering, by all means, LBE's are a lot of fun, but 'blodgettizing' a home oven is way easier.  If you don't want to heat up the house with the oven during the summer, again, it depends on the bake time, but I think you can blodgettize most propane grills.

You won't have the kids and the bustle and all the other excitement, but if you're missing your pizza, you can do that at home pretty easily.
Three letters....MPO !   :chef:

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
Hi Scott:  I run the ovens at 550.  I never have really timed them but they come out like I grew up with back in NJ/NYC.  I have messed with home ovens a lot over the years and I know a great pie can be made with them.   I had a 15 year drought between working in a pizzeria and my bakery  today.  I figured my home oven out pretty good using DALE red quarry tiles.   We currently live in an 800sq ft house and the kitchen is about the size of the one we had in my tour bus (Small as all heck).   One gets spoiled in my current workplace  space- approx 1,550 sq ft with tons of stainless steel work tables.  Putting those pizzas, breads, bagels in the blodgett is just so easy.  Plus I find the end product to be better than what comes out of most all home ovens.  My best home oven was an electric.  I hate electric stove tops but the oven worked better than any home gas oven I have owned.  The LBE sounds fun but I doubt I will mess with it.  I live 5 minutes from my Blodgetts and have 24/7 access to the building.  Next week I have a Denison University professor coming by to tour my space.  I am making 10 -20 dough balls and will give her one and bake the rest for delivery to people who have ordered them.  We live in a small village and when the word got out we were closed for the summer lots of calls came in.   I figure I will do 20 pies every couple weeks through summer and put the money in the class fund.   I own the 2 blodgetts and they will go with me wherever I go. 120,000 BTU's per deck means great recovery and even top/bottom baking with no tinkering.  I got them for $1000, paid $700 to move them, and about $500 in getting them running right.  They are pretty much bullet proof at this point and were cheaper than a lot of home ovens.  Thanks!  Walter

Bob;  You use lots of acronyms and I am ignorant to what MPO means. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:17:03 PM by waltertore »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
Walter,

You might check out this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.msg196875.html#msg196875. Judging from the small number of page views, I think I am the only one using the abbreviations list at that thread.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
Walter,

You might check out this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.msg196875.html#msg196875. Judging from the small number of page views, I think I am the only one using the abbreviations list at that thread.

Peter

Peter:  Thanks!  I am ignorant to most of the abbreviations here and that page really helped.  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »

Bert; member "MightyPizzaOven" is a great guy who is starting a Kick Starter for his awesome product. I just threw that out there to you as an alternative to building an LBE.  10-4 ?  :D

Bob
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25065.msg256449.html#msg256449

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
Bob:  Got it.  They are some nice looking pies in that link you sent.  Thanks!  Walter

scott123

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 01:45:35 AM »
120,000 BTU's per deck means great recovery and even top/bottom baking with no tinkering.  I got them for $1000, paid $700 to move them, and about $500 in getting them running right.

$2,200 total? Wow, what a great deal. I didn't know you got them for that little. I just crunched the numbers for the BTUs per square inch of hearth space, and the 1000s have the highest I've ever seen- 68 BTU/sq. inch, compared to 55 for the Marsal MB (the best oven on the market right now), and a measly 39 for the Blodget 1060. Va va voom!  ;D

For quite some time I conjectured that ovens lost a lot of their umph over the years, but this is proof to that effect. Personally, I might put brick ceilings in them with modded thermostats that go to 650 >:D, but those are still some amazing ovens you have there.

Power with a capital P!  Are you running both decks?  Does the school take notice of the gas bill? 

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
$2,200 total? Wow, what a great deal. I didn't know you got them for that little. I just crunched the numbers for the BTUs per square inch of hearth space, and the 1000s have the highest I've ever seen- 68 BTU/sq. inch, compared to 55 for the Marsal MB (the best oven on the market right now), and a measly 39 for the Blodget 1060. Va va voom!  ;D

For quite some time I conjectured that ovens lost a lot of their umph over the years, but this is proof to that effect. Personally, I might put brick ceilings in them with modded thermostats that go to 650 >:D, but those are still some amazing ovens you have there.

Power with a capital P!  Are you running both decks?  Does the school take notice of the gas bill?

Scott: Yes these ovens really hold the heat and my thermostats go to 650.  That is standard on the 1000's.  I believe the big bakers pride y series also are rated at 120,000 btu each?   The new BP still come with this rating while the new blodgetts are not near that number.  The downside of these ovens in todays deck oven mindset is they will only hold 6-16" or 4-18- 20" pies.  The newer ovens have lower ceilings and are wider to hold 6-18" pies.  The plus is I have found them to be about the best pizza/bread/bagel ovens out there for holding heat, even bakes, and have no electronical parts.  These ovens were sitting in the "Pan Head Pizza shop".  They had a harley painted on the window and were using those buboli like premade crusts, canned premade sauce, cheap cheese, and baked on a pan.  The place went under and owed a ton of back rent.  they left all the equipment in lieu of the rent and the owner of the building wanted them out asap.  I don't know where these ovens spent their life but they were in incredibley good shape.  They were not hooked up when I bought them but I could tell they were well cared for and gently used.  Everything on them was original.  People here have no idea of  how good these ovens are.  Most all shops do conveyor ovens and many pizza guys who I meet at the restaurant depot (we see what is on each others carts) have them sitting in a back room and have no idea to how to use them.  I wish I had the money to buy more and store them.   I bet I could get them for next to nothing.

I used these ovens in NJ and Texas in both pizza and bakery settings.  Many of my favorite NJ pizzerias still use the 1000's including Star Tavern which was only a couple miles from my house growing up.  I am not sure stones can be added to these because they are so old.  If I go much above 550 the tops start to brown more than the bottoms.   At 550 they brown perfectly top and bottom to what I like. Yes we run both ovens.  Most of my orders are placed at least a few days in advance.  Because we are in a school that is now locked all the time due to people shooting kids at schools, no direct phone line to our room, people struggling wrapping thier heads around a special education class runs a licensed bakery/pizzeria inside the high school, has panned out to 90% of our customers are standing big order institutional affairs that I have culitivated.   Fortunately we are slowly developing a buzz in the area and walk in/retail customers are steadily increasing.  I tell them it is an adventure to find us but worth it once they get here.  It is attracting people that were raised in major food centers.  We live in a region whose idea of good food is off the chart bad compared to what people raised in good food regions like.  I always have believed a good product will attract and there is no need to advertise/compete with the cheap food places for business.  On busy days for pizzas we run both at 550 and on slower days the lower oven is set to around 450 for our breads, bagels, strombolis, and most recently a sort of hybrid sicilian/deep dish that I cook in a lodge cast iron dutch oven pot with the lid off.  People here are going nuts on it and I will be buying more of the pots. 

I am a licensed special education teacher and my classroom is the bakery/pizzeria.  Like all teachers I get a room and the school district pays our utilities/rent so to speak. Our campus has 1,700 students and is a massive site.  Thus there is no micro management on utilities.  We don't have our own meter just a pipe that feeds the 2 blodgetts and 2 soutbend convection ovens.  I have the custodians available to fix minor problems but beyond that we have to pay for all repairs, new equipment, towels, soaps, aprons, gas/maintaince on our delivery van (I got it through a grant I applied for), hairnets, gloves, food supplies, etc.   The ovens take about an hour to come up to heat but after that they don't use much gas.  The stones are 1.5 inches thick and the insulation in them is really good.  This was our first full year as a licensed bakery and we are producing up to 10,000 products a week.  I had to buy a ton of gear to meet these demands and we are still well into the black.   Walter

spec sheet on the ovens
http://www.blodgett.com/Literature/Spec%20Sheets/Deck/1000-spec.pdf
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:42:47 AM by waltertore »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:20:15 AM »
So how many pizzas were you guys doing on average each week/day or however you measure it?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »
So how many pizzas were you guys doing on average each week/day or however you measure it?

50-125. The number varies widely.  The 125 comes when we cater a large event.  We did that for the swearing in of judge that had 700 people.   This was our first year, with no advertising other than the press we got and word of mouth. People have trouble wrapping their minds around a pizzeria being located in a site that is a high school packed with 1,700 kids, every door is locked to keep out intruders, closes at 2 and not open weekends or school holidays.  On top of this they also have trouble with finding a slot in their minds that they are made by developmentally disabled students.  Most of our business is from contracts I secured with school district cafeterias, agencies, restaurants, cafes, for our breads, bagels, baked goods. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
50-125. The number varies widely.  The 125 comes when we cater a large event.  We did that for the swearing in of judge that had 700 people.   This was our first year, with no advertising other than the press we got and word of mouth. People have trouble wrapping their minds around a pizzeria being located in a site that is a high school packed with 1,700 kids, every door is locked to keep out intruders, closes at 2 and not open weekends or school holidays.  On top of this they also have trouble with finding a slot in their minds that they are made by developmentally disabled students.  Most of our business is from contracts I secured with school district cafeterias, agencies, restaurants, cafes, for our breads, bagels, baked goods.
Walter,
Does your classroom by any chance have an outside wall with windows? Maybe you could install a pick-up window and canvass the local business lunch crowd. Just a thought.

Bob

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
Bob:  That is a great idea but unfortunately our only window opens up to a walk path that is far off the beaten path from the parking lot.  Business is good so I am not complaining.  It is moving at a fun pace.  The insane pace is not to my liking anymore.  I am to old :-D  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
Bob:  That is a great idea but unfortunately our only window opens up to a walk path that is far off the beaten path from the parking lot.  Business is good so I am not complaining.  It is moving at a fun pace.  The insane pace is not to my liking anymore.  I am to old :-D  Walter
Oh man; what was I thinking! Just remembered you mentioned that you guys are making enough to pay for your supplies....I'd be thrilled with that an want to stay in the non-insane growth mode too!!  ;D

pizzapan