Author Topic: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza  (Read 17746 times)

Offline namssalg

Re: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
 ;)
Looks kinda homey. I'd definately eat in.

The wires caught my eye. Good thing you'll be rearranging them.

I'm looking forward to the soft open post.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:40:10 PM by namssalg »

buceriasdon

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2012, 11:17:01 AM »
You and me both brother.
Don

Really looks great! Can't wait to see your pies.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »
Don,

Your pizzeria looks great!   ;D Very nice job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
So in a few hours I find out if my oven performs correctly with the new regulators and larger copper tubing. I think I have my dough recipe calculated now for easier opening, dropped the hydration rate two points, not a problem for me but Alejandra was getting frustrated with the way it was handling. I hope that in time I can up the ratio. I made a couple of dough balls last night to hopefully bake this afternoon if all goes well today. Keeping my fingers crossed. ;D
Don

Offline franko9752

« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »
Good luck today. Hope to see how your pies look cooked today.

buceriasdon

« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
No go today. I couldn't get the man doing the conversion to understand that the first adjustable valve must be turned waaaaaay down. The directions for installation call out 11 column inches of water, all I have is a psi meter but I know enough, and I found this chart:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-converter-d_825.html           to know the meter should be reading about one pound. I'll have to find a way to get up on the roof in the morning and turn it down myself.
Rats
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:03 AM »
Another night of restless sleep, there as been way to many of those lately. Did some more research over the awake time and am convinced that yes the adjustable regulator has to be turned down, or 1. something is wrong with the pilot light valve or 2.something is wrong with the second regulator. When I release the pilot light button the flame just goes out and only half of the pilot light tube stays lite.  I'm borrowing an extension ladder from a friend this morning and doing the process over again. If that fails to solve the problem I'll have to go into Puerto Vallarta today and once again voice my complaints about the oven. Alejandra finally agrees that something has to be done or we shop around for a new oven.
Don

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2012, 08:58:30 AM »
To me, it's amazing that you can't put the installation guy on the phone with the manufacturer, who could probably explain what is needed a bit better than you can.  Or that the manufacturer won't send someone out to troubleshoot / oversee installation.   When I had a fiberglass pool installed, the manufacturer's rep flew out from the Midwest (1000 miles away) and then rented a car and stayed in town a few days to work with my pool installer to make sure it was done right.   These guys are just leaving it all to you.  Is it some form of prejudice?  Bait the gringo?   I'd be stomping around with a black, stormy cloud over my head at this point.   

I sure hope this all works out with the oven- If all else fails, you have oven-building skills, and maybe you could just mod your LBE into a big box...
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
Really coming along nicely, Don.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

buceriasdon

« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
What I can't understand is this the first oven they have sold? Like I said I'm leaving in just a bit to speak with the vendor who in the past has been very lacking in the service end of the sale. Yes, I'm angry and frustrated and it's best I have my partner do most of the talking. I tried again to keep the pilot lite this morning, the problem there is no flame except about half the tube, the thermocoupler sensor is not getting heated enough to keep the pilot going after releasing the button because of it's location along the tube. It started this about a week ago. Ok, I'm off. More later.
Don

To me, it's amazing that you can't put the installation guy on the phone with the manufacturer, who could probably explain what is needed a bit better than you can.  Or that the manufacturer won't send someone out to troubleshoot / oversee installation.   When I had a fiberglass pool installed, the manufacturer's rep flew out from the Midwest (1000 miles away) and then rented a car and stayed in town a few days to work with my pool installer to make sure it was done right.   These guys are just leaving it all to you.  Is it some form of prejudice?  Bait the gringo?   I'd be stomping around with a black, stormy cloud over my head at this point.   

I sure hope this all works out with the oven- If all else fails, you have oven-building skills, and maybe you could just mod your LBE into a big box...

buceriasdon

« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
Quick update, the service man did show up this afternoon and agreed to change the control unit as the oven burners go out at 475F. Why it did not come with a higher thermostat setting is anyones guess. He also showed me how to purge the pilot tube before lighting. If all goes according to plan I will have a operating oven late tomorrow.
Don

Offline franko9752

« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
Fingers crossed. I want to start seeing some of your pies SOON :chef:  Seems that you are learning all about your oven though, as some kind of positive thing anyway. Just look at all of the obsticals as like a basic training camp for the biz. It can only get better!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
Don,

I sure am not an expert at how gas ovens work and hope your issues with your deck oven soon work out.  I just wanted to let you know of my experiences with the problems I had with my deck oven after I purchased it.  I have two regulators for propane gas, one being on the tank and the other being at the controls where I turned the deck oven on as shown in Reply 963 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg153747.html#msg153747  The bottom regulator in my deck oven had to be replaced twice before my deck oven would work right.  I think something happened with the diaphragm in my deck oven the first time it was replaced, because I had the same problems that you are having now.  I have a ˝ in. pipe leading from where my outside propane tank is into the flexible tubing that runs into the deck oven inside.  I don’t know how your regulator looks inside of your deck oven.  I sure wasn’t the one that worked on my deck oven, but had two repair men work on mine until it worked right.

I know your deck oven is new, when mine was used.  I would think the company you purchased your deck oven from would help you more.

Best of luck with your deck oven!  :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
Norma, I had the first system torn out and replaced according to the manufacturer's specifications. I now have a high pressure adjustable regulator at the tank on the roof and a low pressure regulator just before the oven with 3/4" copper tube thoughout. When the service man fired the burners yesterday I could tell right away, and he agreed the flames were larger and hotter than before, with a much faster heat up time. Within a half an hour or so the stone temp. hit 472F. when the burners kicked off as they did before. So once again I say it's not hot enough and he then agreed to return today and change the control box which is the same conversation I had with him two weeks ago. Sigh....Mexicans are fond of saying "poco a poco" means little by little. It's become my motto.
Don

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
"poco a poco" would be a nice name for some new signature pizza.  You could laugh every time you sell one. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »
franko. Thanks so much for your support. There have been moments I've felt like Sisyphus, a mortal who angered the Greek god Zeus and whose punishment was pushing a boulder up a mountain only to have it roll back down to start all over again.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2012, 08:44:40 AM »
Gene, Good one, I'll keep that in mind. :-D
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
Don,

I can understand what you are going though is frustrating.  I wonder why the burners kicked off as they did before.  It makes me wonder if your thermostat is working correctly, but I sure don’t understand all that stuff.  I never heard of “poco a poco”, but can understand why it is becoming your motto.  Gene’s idea is good.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
Norma, Ovens have a sensor which when the ambient temperature in the oven reaches a certain point the sensor tells the control box to shut off the gas to the burners, same with electric ovens. When that temperature drops the sensor then tells the box to allow gas back in the line to the burners or the elements to heat up and the process repeats. Here on the forum covering the heat sensor with insulation is commonly suggested as a way to trick the oven into thinking max heat has not be reached so the burners/elements stay on. That's not practical for a commercial situation so my only alternative is to have a higher temperature sensor installed. Part of my frustration is I purchased the oven with the understanding it came ready to reach 350C. /662 F. now to find changes have to be made to achieve those temps.  ??? Today should be telling.
Don

Don,

I can understand what you are going though is frustrating.  I wonder why the burners kicked off as they did before.  It makes me wonder if your thermostat is working correctly, but I sure don’t understand all that stuff.  I never heard of “poco a poco”, but can understand why it is becoming your motto.  Gene’s idea is good.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Norma, Ovens have a sensor which when the ambient temperature in the oven reaches a certain point the sensor tells the control box to shut off the gas to the burners, same with electric ovens. When that temperature drops the sensor then tells the box to allow gas back in the line to the burners or the elements to heat up and the process repeats. Here on the forum covering the heat sensor with insulation is commonly suggested as a way to trick the oven into thinking max heat has not be reached so the burners/elements stay on. That's not practical for a commercial situation so my only alternative is to have a higher temperature sensor installed. Part of my frustration is I purchased the oven with the understanding it came ready to reach 350C. /662 F. now to find changes have to be made to achieve those temps.  ??? Today should be telling.
Don

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to explain how oven heat sensors tells the oven when to shut off the gas to the burners.  I know here on the forum many tricks are used in covering the heat sensors to trick the oven into producing higher temperatures.  I know my one repair man told me my one oven diaphragm could have gone bad (or could have blow out) from all the fooling around to fix my oven, but I know nothing about how a diaphragm works. 

I know your frustration relates to your oven not performing the way it should in temperatures.

Best of luck to you today!   :)

Norma

pizzapan