Author Topic: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza  (Read 23848 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
Exactly what was thinking.  This particular low pressure regulator may be designed to work off 11 psi not tank pressure. 
Agreed.  But what input pressure is the low pressure regulator expecting to see?  Straight tank pressure or 11 lbs?  Maybe why the low pressure regulator can't do its job properly.
-Jeff

buceriasdon

« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
Ok,  I'm going to have to backtrack, the pilot now keeps blowing out. I got to it fire up just fine a couple of hours ago but now the pilot keeps blowing out when I release the pilot button. I'm calling back the men that first installed the line and have them change it since the guy I hired yesterday won't do it. What a nightmare. The instructions clearly say 3/4" line, red adjustable regulator and a low pressure regulator. The sellers and builders of the oven won't be of help until it's according to the instructions.
Don

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »
I'd have them give the low pressure regulator a good once over while they are there.  If it is in fact designed for 11psi on the input side I would want to make sure running it at tank pressure hasn't damaged the diaphragm.
-Jeff

buceriasdon

« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
I was able to track down a gent who has done plumbing work for me in the past and he came by the shop and looked at the diagram of the setup and agreed with me, it was all done wrong. He's coming back in the morning to tear out the 1/2" copper tube and replace it with 3/4" and the proper regulators. Jeff, this regulator they use with tanks is meant for that purpose. We'll use it after the adjustable one just before the oven. the saga continues.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
As fate would have it I lost the race against time and until Monday when the hardware stores reopen I'm dead in the water. My guy is coming back Monday to finish the installation when he can buy the required parts. Semana Santa is the biggest holiday of year here in Mexico with most small businesses closing and I just can't do anything about. I might get some pics taken and posted, I now have some tables and chairs that will hold me over for awhile. I'm ready to open once I have a oven that works.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
some pictures.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:00:04 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
I love the decor, and the boxes.  Is that dough in the coke cooler?  Looks very clean and fresh, good work Donaldo.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Ev

« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2012, 10:04:37 AM »
Beautiful! I love it! ;D

buceriasdon

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
Steve, Since I have the time now I'll be doing some fine tuning, going to change the wire mess that Alejandra did in the kitchen, don't like the jumble of wires and some other slight changes. Also whether I can bake or not I will continue working on dough ball size, opening methods, etc for the next couple of days. Scott, thank you, Alejandra and I are both on the same page as far as cleanliness of the restaurant goes. We may disagree on other things but for certain it will be spotless. Top priorities are cleanliness, prompt service and a pleasant dining experience. And yes, those are dough balls in bags for my daily experiments even if they get thrown out. Also there will not be the clutter seen in these photos, we put things up for cleaning.
Don
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:28:40 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline franko9752

« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
Really looks great! Can't wait to see your pies.

Offline namssalg

« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
 ;)
Looks kinda homey. I'd definately eat in.

The wires caught my eye. Good thing you'll be rearranging them.

I'm looking forward to the soft open post.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:40:10 PM by namssalg »

buceriasdon

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2012, 11:17:01 AM »
You and me both brother.
Don

Really looks great! Can't wait to see your pies.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »
Don,

Your pizzeria looks great!   ;D Very nice job!

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
So in a few hours I find out if my oven performs correctly with the new regulators and larger copper tubing. I think I have my dough recipe calculated now for easier opening, dropped the hydration rate two points, not a problem for me but Alejandra was getting frustrated with the way it was handling. I hope that in time I can up the ratio. I made a couple of dough balls last night to hopefully bake this afternoon if all goes well today. Keeping my fingers crossed. ;D
Don

Offline franko9752

« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »
Good luck today. Hope to see how your pies look cooked today.

buceriasdon

« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
No go today. I couldn't get the man doing the conversion to understand that the first adjustable valve must be turned waaaaaay down. The directions for installation call out 11 column inches of water, all I have is a psi meter but I know enough, and I found this chart:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-converter-d_825.html           to know the meter should be reading about one pound. I'll have to find a way to get up on the roof in the morning and turn it down myself.
Rats
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:03 AM »
Another night of restless sleep, there as been way to many of those lately. Did some more research over the awake time and am convinced that yes the adjustable regulator has to be turned down, or 1. something is wrong with the pilot light valve or 2.something is wrong with the second regulator. When I release the pilot light button the flame just goes out and only half of the pilot light tube stays lite.  I'm borrowing an extension ladder from a friend this morning and doing the process over again. If that fails to solve the problem I'll have to go into Puerto Vallarta today and once again voice my complaints about the oven. Alejandra finally agrees that something has to be done or we shop around for a new oven.
Don

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2012, 08:58:30 AM »
To me, it's amazing that you can't put the installation guy on the phone with the manufacturer, who could probably explain what is needed a bit better than you can.  Or that the manufacturer won't send someone out to troubleshoot / oversee installation.   When I had a fiberglass pool installed, the manufacturer's rep flew out from the Midwest (1000 miles away) and then rented a car and stayed in town a few days to work with my pool installer to make sure it was done right.   These guys are just leaving it all to you.  Is it some form of prejudice?  Bait the gringo?   I'd be stomping around with a black, stormy cloud over my head at this point.   

I sure hope this all works out with the oven- If all else fails, you have oven-building skills, and maybe you could just mod your LBE into a big box...
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
Really coming along nicely, Don.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

buceriasdon

« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
What I can't understand is this the first oven they have sold? Like I said I'm leaving in just a bit to speak with the vendor who in the past has been very lacking in the service end of the sale. Yes, I'm angry and frustrated and it's best I have my partner do most of the talking. I tried again to keep the pilot lite this morning, the problem there is no flame except about half the tube, the thermocoupler sensor is not getting heated enough to keep the pilot going after releasing the button because of it's location along the tube. It started this about a week ago. Ok, I'm off. More later.
Don

To me, it's amazing that you can't put the installation guy on the phone with the manufacturer, who could probably explain what is needed a bit better than you can.  Or that the manufacturer won't send someone out to troubleshoot / oversee installation.   When I had a fiberglass pool installed, the manufacturer's rep flew out from the Midwest (1000 miles away) and then rented a car and stayed in town a few days to work with my pool installer to make sure it was done right.   These guys are just leaving it all to you.  Is it some form of prejudice?  Bait the gringo?   I'd be stomping around with a black, stormy cloud over my head at this point.   

I sure hope this all works out with the oven- If all else fails, you have oven-building skills, and maybe you could just mod your LBE into a big box...

buceriasdon

« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
Quick update, the service man did show up this afternoon and agreed to change the control unit as the oven burners go out at 475F. Why it did not come with a higher thermostat setting is anyones guess. He also showed me how to purge the pilot tube before lighting. If all goes according to plan I will have a operating oven late tomorrow.
Don

Offline franko9752

« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
Fingers crossed. I want to start seeing some of your pies SOON :chef:  Seems that you are learning all about your oven though, as some kind of positive thing anyway. Just look at all of the obsticals as like a basic training camp for the biz. It can only get better!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
Don,

I sure am not an expert at how gas ovens work and hope your issues with your deck oven soon work out.  I just wanted to let you know of my experiences with the problems I had with my deck oven after I purchased it.  I have two regulators for propane gas, one being on the tank and the other being at the controls where I turned the deck oven on as shown in Reply 963 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg153747.html#msg153747  The bottom regulator in my deck oven had to be replaced twice before my deck oven would work right.  I think something happened with the diaphragm in my deck oven the first time it was replaced, because I had the same problems that you are having now.  I have a Ĺ in. pipe leading from where my outside propane tank is into the flexible tubing that runs into the deck oven inside.  I donít know how your regulator looks inside of your deck oven.  I sure wasnít the one that worked on my deck oven, but had two repair men work on mine until it worked right.

I know your deck oven is new, when mine was used.  I would think the company you purchased your deck oven from would help you more.

Best of luck with your deck oven!  :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
Norma, I had the first system torn out and replaced according to the manufacturer's specifications. I now have a high pressure adjustable regulator at the tank on the roof and a low pressure regulator just before the oven with 3/4" copper tube thoughout. When the service man fired the burners yesterday I could tell right away, and he agreed the flames were larger and hotter than before, with a much faster heat up time. Within a half an hour or so the stone temp. hit 472F. when the burners kicked off as they did before. So once again I say it's not hot enough and he then agreed to return today and change the control box which is the same conversation I had with him two weeks ago. Sigh....Mexicans are fond of saying "poco a poco" means little by little. It's become my motto.
Don

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
"poco a poco" would be a nice name for some new signature pizza.  You could laugh every time you sell one. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan