Author Topic: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza  (Read 20017 times)

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
Re: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »
Mucho Exito Don. Esperamos ver mas fotos pronto.

Edgar

buceriasdon

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »
I decided to begin fabricating the front counter with storage shelves below yesterday, making some good progress. I needed to get a better picture of how much space it would take up as well as it's placement in relation to the dining area and the kitchen. I had placed masking tape on the floor to delineate tables, oven, reefer, etc. however there is no replacement for displacement and several ideas I had changed. Pick a flower, move a star. Came home and worked on the recipe and workflow for mini tuna melts. I tried a cheaper brand of mayo for the chipotle/mayo sauce for comparison and threw it out, not worth the savings. They need lettuce also.
   Today I'm off the get the restaurant license at the county seat here, hoping it goes better than getting the contract with the electric company. ::) It took several trips to get the correct papers required.
Don

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
Today I'm off the get the restaurant license at the county seat here, hoping it goes better than getting the contract with the electric company. ::) It took several trips to get the correct papers required.
Don

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of a 200 peso bill attached to your paperwork!  ;)

You'll enjoy this video:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:52:52 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »
Very exciting, Don! I love the sign work. Can't wait to see more! :D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
Donaldo,
 I understand your will to not compete on breakfast items with your neighbors.  I however wish that you offer a Chorizzo and Oaxaca focaccia with a coconut/mango/habinero dipping sauce for the early passers-by.

'Break a leg'
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 06:29:08 AM »
Bill that was great video!! Just like the NJ DMV!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

buceriasdon

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 06:33:45 AM »
Yesterday didn't go according to plan, I realized I did not have the water company paperwork so the owner of the building has to once again write a letter of permission for me to get it in my name. I'll see what today brings. I almost completed the front counter but ran out of wood so this morning I am off to Home Depot to pick up some more. That leaves me the matching wait station podium to build. I'm shooting for Friday to start varnishing. After a great amount of soul searching I've decided to postpone additional items to the menu and concentrate only on pizza at this time. I can add other items later but I have a new oven and mixer coming to learn how to use and training my staff as well. I need to stay focused.
Don

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »
I'm intrigued by your adventure. Mexico must have changed a lot since I used to frequent there - 'going to Home Depot' ;]

I think you are smart to focus on pizza and add menu items later as things progress. 

buceriasdon

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
Yes, Shopping at Home Depot here is different. Once you go through the checkout line ten feet away you hand the ticket to a security guard who then checks everything you just purchased and stamps it. How anyone could shoplift in ten feet is beyond me.  ::) Thank you for the reinforcement of my decision. All things in due time.
Don

I'm intrigued by your adventure. Mexico must have changed a lot since I used to frequent there - 'going to Home Depot' ;]

I think you are smart to focus on pizza and add menu items later as things progress.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:50:04 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
Yes, Shopping at Home Depot here is different. Once you go through the checkout line ten feet away you hand the ticket to a security guard who then checks everything you just purchased and stamps it. How anyone could shoplift in ten feet is beyond me. 
Don

That is common here in warehouse stores. One purpose is to deter collusion between a customer and a cashier. Loses in many businesses are from employees. But the crooks need a way to get the merchandise out the door. The cashier rings up most items but conveniently "forgets" to scan in the big-screen TV in the cart of their accomplice.

I'm afraid to say that similar scams are common in restaurants. Keep your eye on the cash! As they say in Mexico: "Al ojo del amo, se engorda al ganado". Under the watchful eye of the owner, the cattle grow fat.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »
That is common here in warehouse stores. One purpose is to deter collusion between a customer and a cashier. Loses in many businesses are from employees. But the crooks need a way to get the merchandise out the door. The cashier rings up most items but conveniently "forgets" to scan in the big-screen TV in the cart of their accomplice.

I'm afraid to say that similar scams are common in restaurants. Keep your eye on the cash! As they say in Mexico: "Al ojo del amo, se engorda al ganado". Under the watchful eye of the owner, the cattle grow fat.

I believe the reason warehouse stores (like Costco and Sam's) mark your receipt is to prevent people from coming back into the store and grabbing the same item and walking out as if they just bought it for the first time.

It's the rule that you will get ripped off if you do not keep a close eye on the till - not the exception. 

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
Atleast you aren't hitting discrimatory red tape.  Last time I was in Cozumel I met an American ex-pat who owned a small company booking tours and fishing trips.  He was in the middle of a multi year legal battle because they wouldn't even let him stand at his booth in town square and book tours.  He was forced to hire Mexicans solely for that job or else be shut down.
-Jeff

buceriasdon

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
Jeff, I have the legal status of a citizen although I cannot vote or get a Mexican passport, but anything else I'm good to go here. The other person in Cozumel most likely had a different visa, perhaps a FM3 with a work permit. Immigration is in the process of streamlining the rules presently, however the government here doesn't take kindly to foreigners taking jobs from the Mexican people. I'm the opposite, I'm creating jobs.
Don
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:03:40 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
It's very possible Don.  I know there are a few powerful crime families that own a lot in Cozumel, and I always figured he stepped on the toes of one of them with connections in the government.  Maybe that is an overly american view and stereotypical thought process, lol.

Back to the main topic everything so far looks and sounds awesome.  It's gonna be a lot of fun watching you get this place up and going.  You must feel like you are living a dream.

-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
Fishing in Mexico is a little different.  We were not allowed to take charters on our boat or book charters from other American boats when we fished Cozumel and Isla Mujares..  We did, but it was all under the table and illegal.

buceriasdon

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:10 AM »
My oven and mixer are now in Puerto Vallarta and were supposed to be delivered yesterday afternoon, I waited until 8 last night and gave up, went home. The concept of doing something on time when you say it will be done hasn't quite caught on here. Frustrating. :( These 10 to 12 hour days are wearing on me. It did give me the opportunity to get my wood butchering mess cleaned up. For a guy with a chop saw, circular saw, hammer and a drill I'm happy enough with the front counter and wait station. No fine wood work here. I'll be doing a distressed finish on them today and perhaps get one coat of spar varnish applied depending on how long it takes to complete my application for my tax number. I hope to be able to post some pics in the next couple of days.........
Don

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
Don,
i just caught up on this thread.  This is amazing!  i can't wait to see a photo of your first pizza served.  Sounds like lots of time and work laying the foundation for a great pizzaria.  Best of luck and keep the updates coming.
bill

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »
What a fabulous start. The sign is fantastic.

buceriasdon

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »
Another 10 hour day with a mixture of good and not so good results. Good news I now have my Mexican tax number, bad news, someone at my restaurant supply thought both the mixer and oven were in, when only the mixer came in and called me. Next Wednesday is the new date for delivery. Sigh.........No way I can get open by the middle of March now. More frustration but nothing I can do about it. I have one final license to get today, for the restaurant itself. While in Puerto Vallarta yesterday Alejandra and myself priced out some blenders, table settings, etc. while reordering the screens that didn't get ordered from another supply house, sigh, and came to the conclusion to relook at Walmart today after the application for the final license. Neither of us liked the plates we looked at and we scoured all the places I knew about and the prices for the top of the line Oster blenders were also higher than Walmart. Volume buying I suppose. I'm leaving my room here soon to put the final coat of stain on the distressed finish front counter and varnish later today, another long day. More later.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
Today was not even a day that I could ever look back on later and have a laugh. Forty minutes driving to the office, locating it, sign was an old sign from a previous different office they didn't bother to change, taking a number, waiting in line for another half an hour only to be told the office I had to go to was in my town of Bucerias. I knew the woman was wrong but couldn't convince her otherwise. So I drove back to Bucerias office, took my number, waited in line, wait, I think you know what happened when I finally was called up, that's right, I'm at the wrong office, I have to back and apply at the county seat office. OK, now I'm bit peeved and decided to just leave rather than have yet another discussion that most likely could lead to my raising my voice. Three hours wasted. Grrrr.

pizzapan