Author Topic: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza  (Read 19452 times)

Offline hammettjr

Re: Opening soon, Donaldo's Casa de Pizza
« Reply #200 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Congrats Don, looking good!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2012, 12:24:37 AM »
Tinroofrusted, Yes, we have some good sized crocs around the area. Tragically a couple of months ago one got a hold of a man and killed him. Ok, the moment we all been waiting for. That's right, a picture of Alejandra's canned tuna pizza just baked today. I had one slice, quite good. I am very pleased with the oven, actually I had to turn it down. Getting great oven spring and the crust is very favorful for a one day CF, better than anything around these parts.
Don

It's beautiful. I salute you!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »
Thanks everyone. Even though I'm still working out some kinks in the prep area, today is pizza slice give away on the street and taking out five 14" to the children at the Manos de Amor at six this evening.  http://www.manosdeamor.com/    I'll be sure and get some photos.  I have been gradually increasing my dough ball weight, currently at 13oz. for a 14", I'm happy with it but Alejandra thinks they need to be thicker, closer to an American style than New York. I'm ok with that. More later.
Don

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
Thanks everyone. Even though I'm still working out some kinks in the prep area, today is pizza slice give away on the street and taking out five 14" to the children at the Manos de Amor at six this evening.  http://www.manosdeamor.com/    I'll be sure and get some photos.  I have been gradually increasing my dough ball weight, currently at 13oz. for a 14", I'm happy with it but Alejandra thinks they need to be thicker, closer to an American style than New York. I'm ok with that. More later.
Don

Exito!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »
Your tuna pizza looks really great. I like the color, and you can tell the dough is doing well!  How many minutes?  What kind of flour are you using? And I'm going to need that address too! 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
Sounds great Don!  Can't wait to see the pics.  I bet the kids love it.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »
Hi Don,

I followed the link to Manos de Amor and read about it. What a great charity. I sent them a small contribution via Paypal. 
http://www.manosdeamor.com/donations.htm

Regards,

TinRoof

buceriasdon

« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2012, 08:29:03 AM »
tinroofrusted, I'm using an unbleached, bromated, 11.5% protein flour I order and have delivered from a supplier out of Tepic, about three hours away. It comes in a 44 kilo sack. I'm baking on screens and leaving the pizza on the screen the whole time presently. Pies are done in about 6 minutes. I had a frame built that holds unglazed tiles to lower the ceiling height but wanted to try without it first. I'm picking up tiles today while on a shopping trip to Puerto Vallarta today and will cut them to fit and try it on Thursday. I want just a bit more top browning.
Don

Your tuna pizza looks really great. I like the color, and you can tell the dough is doing well!  How many minutes?  What kind of flour are you using? And I'm going to need that address too!  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:31:08 AM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Gene, Unfortunetly due to my other part time job i couldn't stay to take photos of the children. Had to get back to the hotel to handle a busted door handle problem. I maintain Hotel Palmeras buildings and grounds in the mornings and I'm on call for emergencies.
http://www.hotelpalmeras.com/
Don

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
tinroofrusted, I'm using an unbleached, bromated, 11.5% protein flour I order and have delivered from a supplier out of Tepic, about three hours away. It comes in a 44 kilo sack.

That flour sounds perfect.  Hopefully you can dispense with the screens over time and get the bottom right down on the floor of the oven. But I get why you want to use screens at the outset.

A lot of people I know are kind of afraid to go to Mexico now due to all the violence. I imagine that is very much overblown in the press.  Do you find it to be dangerous at all?

buceriasdon

« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
tinroofrusted, I was going to use screens until Alejandra can handle topping on a peel but now I should mention I'm not adverse to using them for the kind of pies I'm doing. I suffer from a tremor (essential tremor) in my right hand which has always slowed me down somewhat topping wise and feel the screens help me. We work with what we have. In any case I will continue to use them for the 16 inchers.
Don
The biggest crime problem in this area are burglaries, crimes of opportunity or inside jobs. The failed war on drug cartels as well as violence amongst themselves here has guaranteed the PRI candidate will easily win the next presidential election over PAN, the present party holding the office. That's what the media has focused on. There was a Carnival ship tour group that was robbed at gunpoint a few months ago, inside job, and they have now reworked those types of tours to remote areas. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:25:13 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
That flour sounds perfect.  Hopefully you can dispense with the screens over time and get the bottom right down on the floor of the oven. But I get why you want to use screens at the outset.

A lot of people I know are kind of afraid to go to Mexico now due to all the violence. I imagine that is very much overblown in the press.  Do you find it to be dangerous at all?

My family is from Mexico, Sinaloa, and it is really bad. They have had a lot of bad stuff happen to them there. My family stateside won't go visit them. I guess it doesn't help that the Sinaloa cartel is one of the worst in all of Mexico.

buceriasdon

« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
I had a good night last night. Sold out. A couple of comments were posted this morning on the Bucerias yahoo group.

We were there yesterday for dinner.  Dined there.  Agree with all your comments.  The pizza is fantastic.  We highly recommend it.
 Best wishes
Carol and Tom Hunter

To: Bucerias@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bucerias] re: Donaldos Pizza Hogar

I just caught the end of the night at Donaldos tonight, super clean restuarant/kitchen with Don and his Mexican lady friend being gracious hosts. One of the best pizzas I've ever had. I was going to do take out but the decor is so bright and cheerful I decided to eat in and was quite entertained by children coming in to buy slices. Recommended.
Robert

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
your hard work is paying off.  great to see such reviews on the pizza and the atmosphere! 
congrats,
bill 

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »
That sounds really great. It must feel really nice to be able to make a pizza in a nice hot oven and have people enjoy them in your new restaurant. I wish I could pop in for a slice myself! 

Regards,

TinRoof

P.S. Post more photos! 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »
I love seeing the cupped pepperoni.  Very glad to hear about the positive reviews.  Please continue to keep us posted.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline franko9752

« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
Good to finally hear you are off to a great startup.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
I had a good night last night. Sold out. A couple of comments were posted this morning on the Bucerias yahoo group.

We were there yesterday for dinner.  Dined there.  Agree with all your comments.  The pizza is fantastic.  We highly recommend it.
 Best wishes
Carol and Tom Hunter

I just caught the end of the night at Donaldos tonight, super clean restuarant/kitchen with Don and his Mexican lady friend being gracious hosts. One of the best pizzas I've ever had. I was going to do take out but the decor is so bright and cheerful I decided to eat in and was quite entertained by children coming in to buy slices. Recommended.
Robert

Very cool. Exactly what I would have expected. They are lucky to have you!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
 Best wishes
Carol and Tom Hunter

Robert

That's great Don!

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Super!  I was expecting some sort of 'Oh man, that was hard' post after your first service, but I've been following your travails through 11 pages, so perhaps it was more of a relief to get going.

Congratulations.