Author Topic: Proofing my Napoli and Ischia Dry Starters  (Read 879 times)

Offline djamc

Proofing my Napoli and Ischia Dry Starters
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
I received my Napoli and Ischia dried starters from Sourdo.com last night..

They've been growing at 90 degrees in a proofing box for ~16 hours now and there is A LOT of bubble action taking place...  Ed Wood states that there might be a few bubbles at this point.

Does it sound like there is too much yeast action at this point and I might potentially be running into a contamination issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Proofing my Napoli and Ischia Dry Starters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
Too soon to tell. How does it smell? Be careful to avoid cross-contamination between these two cultures. They may still be very vulnerable.

Offline djamc

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
I was kind of wondering whether I should proof in the same box...  Do I run the risk of cross contaminating?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
I was kind of wondering whether I should proof in the same box...  Do I run the risk of cross contaminating?

As a precaution, I never have more than one starter out at a time. There is always the risk of contamination when cultures are not at full-strength. You should be OK if you take care to keep them as isolated as possible (e.g. not use the same whisk for mixing unless sterilized.)

Offline djamc

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
Attached a pic below of the starters after 24 hours of proofing @ 90 degrees...  They do not look at all like I would have guessed (Hooch on the bottom)...  They smell a little strange as well...

U think I have a problem here?  If so, can I wash and fix?

In regard to cross contamination...  I didn't use the same utensils to mix each starter.

Dan

pizzapan