Author Topic: Primavera Ovens - How are they after years of use?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline OutdoorPizza

Primavera Ovens - How are they after years of use?
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
I sure would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have a Primavera 60 or 70:

How long have you had your P60 or P70?
How often do you use it?
How is the oven holding up after all those months / years?

I am getting ready to place my order for a Primavera70, but thought I would do one last bit of research on how well the ovens hold up over a long period of time.  Thanks for your help.

OutdoorPizza  :chef:

Offline GlennC.

Re: Primavera Ovens - How are they after years of use?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »
Had mine for a year or two and use at least once or twice a month year round.  Oven is fine.  However the accompanying stand rusts if you look at it, let alone put it outside.  Not sure it will last very long and not sure what to do when it is time to replace.  Slight concern that bolts will rust through and one day I will hear a big crashing sound in the backyard.
Texas A&M NCAA National Champions
Men's Track & Field  2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Track & Field 2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Basketball 2011

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
Had mine for a year or two and use at least once or twice a month year round.  Oven is fine.  However the accompanying stand rusts if you look at it, let alone put it outside.  Not sure it will last very long and not sure what to do when it is time to replace.  Slight concern that bolts will rust through and one day I will hear a big crashing sound in the backyard.

Can you replace the bolts with stainless bolts?

For the stand, sand it leaving a light layer of rust (this is important). Spray with Loctite Rust Converter or Rustoleum Rust Reformer - this will convert the rust to a non-rusting, paintable surface. Then paint with a good exterior protective enamel like Rustoleum.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »
umm ,
Buy a good heavy duty patio chair cover and keep it covered! Get it  while they are sale in the winter. I just got a $45 Cover for $7 bucks using  it to cover Jessabell (the fork mixer)  fits  perfect. Cheap  because they cannot get them back into the tiny box after people tear them out to see if it may work for them  !! Got a noce sofa cover also the cover the mobile that was $8  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline OutdoorPizza

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:45:09 AM »
Thanks GlennC for your comments.  Glad to hear the oven is still fine.  Appreciate hearing about your experience with the metal stand too.  I am having a cinder block platform built for the oven since I am going with a P70 (600 lbs.).  You are not the first person I've heard complain about the metal stand holding up.

OutdoorPizza  :chef:

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »
My P70 has held up reasonably well but not without it's flaws. Large gaps have opened up in the dome, the floor tiles on the left and right have come unlodged, and the exterior has developed cracks. I would assume this would happen to any oven, but the build quality is not exactly what I would have hoped for. That being said, I can produce very good pizza with it. It is a gateway oven if you become addicted to Neapolitan pizza - I want a 42 inch oven now.

John

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
My P70 has held up reasonably well but not without it's flaws. Large gaps have opened up in the dome, the floor tiles on the left and right have come unlodged, and the exterior has developed cracks. I would assume this would happen to any oven, but the build quality is not exactly what I would have hoped for. That being said, I can produce very good pizza with it. It is a gateway oven if you become addicted to Neapolitan pizza - I want a 42 inch oven now.

John

Hi John,

I too am interested in getting the P70.  FB now has a "v2.0" P70 and I hope that addressed the problems you experienced.  Speakin of which:

1.  Can the gaps be filled in with refractory cement?   

2.  Did you notice any deterioration in performance after the gap and cracks appeared?

With regards to installation, I read from the slice article that you had a custom stand made for it. What advice can you give as far as moving the heavy P70. Did you use a forklift, engine hoist, or did you have a lot of folks carry it from the curbside drop off to the final location in your backyard? 

If you have any more pictures (other than the ones shown on the Slice article) of the P70, I would love to see them. 

Cheers,

M

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »
I too am interested in getting the P70.  FB now has a "v2.0" P70 and I hope that addressed the problems you experienced.  Speakin of which:...

The P70 was moved by hired hands, and they used a heavy duty strap that was fitted to their shoulders and looped under the oven. It was placed on the stand with wood blocks first, then lowered by long levers that masons use to precisely drop large granite stones the last few inches after the blocks were removed.

I have no idea about repairing the oven as I don't think I will ever bother. The performance is definitely compromised due to the floor tiles being a pain, but I guess I could re-set them. Overall it is a great oven - I just wish the company had better quality control and craftsmanship.

Here are some more pics of the oven:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15633.0.html

John
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:32:52 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline GlennC.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
Can you replace the bolts with stainless bolts?

For the stand, sand it leaving a light layer of rust (this is important). Spray with Loctite Rust Converter or Rustoleum Rust Reformer - this will convert the rust to a non-rusting, paintable surface. Then paint with a good exterior protective enamel like Rustoleum.

CL

Thanks for the suggestions - have not considered replacing the bolts and may try to do that.  And Jconk - I do have it covered and that has helped some I am sure, but I guess the amount of rain and humidity here in Atlanta is still enough to cause some damage.
Texas A&M NCAA National Champions
Men's Track & Field  2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Track & Field 2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Basketball 2011

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
 i have had my p70 for three years. use it twice a month,and it has held up well.it cooks a good pie. if you have a choice go with the 70vs the 60.at 28 inches it takes practice working in the close space. i think the 60 comes in at 24 inches.i paint it every year but do not cover it.the stand was built for me to my specs. very heavy duty. it is all metal and that also to gets a painting every year. i am a fan of this little oven. i used a engine jack to hoist it into place

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:41 AM »
i have had my p70 for three years. use it twice a month,and it has held up well.it cooks a good pie. if you have a choice go with the 70vs the 60.at 28 inches it takes practice working in the close space. i think the 60 comes in at 24 inches.i paint it every year but do not cover it.the stand was built for me to my specs. very heavy duty. it is all metal and that also to gets a painting every year. i am a fan of this little oven. i used a engine jack to hoist it into place

Hi TheZaman,

Can you please describe the entire workflow of installing the p70?   Did the freight company just drop it off curbside and you had to move it to your yard?  If so, did you simply just use a pallet jack?   How did you attach the p70 to the engine jack?  Did you use some kind of strap? 

pizzapan