Author Topic: Cheap Polly-O  (Read 1988 times)

Offline atom

Cheap Polly-O
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
Hey just wanted to share with anyone who is military or retired; The Fort Drum Commissary has 1lbs bricks of Polly-O Cheese for $2.99. Local Walmart I believe was $4.69 or something outrageous like that. I haven't tried it yet so I am anxious to see if I notice a difference between it and the Great Value whole milk bricks i've been using.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cheap Polly-O
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
Your Walmart still has Polly-O? I can't find it at any of the 4 Wallmarts near me.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »
"the Fort Drum Commissary", I'm probably one of the few people on this board who even knows where it is. And I'm not about to make the three+ hour trip  to save a buck on cheese when it will cost me$50 in gas! :o
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Tory

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
I tried this cheese a couple times and was not overly impressed with it. I suppose I might use it if I had no other mozzarella options available, but am not real crazy about it. I would prefer "Precious" mozzarella over this. I had been using the "Precious" firm mozzarella,  but I really have been trying to use their 'fresh' (soft, squishy and wet) mozzarella lately. I can buy this at the local air force base commissary. But the Polly-O just isn't that good.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
Tory'

I am going to assume you live on the West coast. "Precious" is the name of the mozzarella which on the East coast is called Sorrento. It is produced in Buffalo, NY. I am also a Sorrento fan, I find it a little firmer then most and is therefore much easier to grate or slice.

Offline mykall

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
Tory'

I am going to assume you live on the West coast. "Precious" is the name of the mozzarella which on the East coast is called Sorrento. It is produced in Buffalo, NY. I am also a Sorrento fan, I find it a little firmer then most and is therefore much easier to grate or slice.

I'm up in the air about Sorrento.  The last pie I made with Sorrento I found the cheese both nutty and runny.  I'm going to have to get my own second opinion on this one.  I'll try it again and we'll see.  I actually as of this writing got better results with the Walmart brand of whole milk, but again I'll revisit on another pie.  That will come after the Polly-O that is on deck.

Offline Tory

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
Indeed. I live in California. I didn't know that about "Precious". That's pretty interesting to know.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
Hey just wanted to share with anyone who is military or retired; The Fort Drum Commissary has 1lbs bricks of Polly-O Cheese for $2.99. Local Walmart I believe was $4.69 or something outrageous like that. I haven't tried it yet so I am anxious to see if I notice a difference between it and the Great Value whole milk bricks i've been using.
I think you'll find it a 'lil better than the Wally cheese...Sorennto seems a bit better, forget Sargento....although their new "Artisan" mozz an provo mix ain't too shabby.
I got Stella last week at BJ's for $1.98 a pound in 5 lb. bags....probably as good if not better than all of the above. I cut it with about 20% asiago....good stuff.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »
Bob

I occasionally by Stella at the deli counter, sliced from the 5-6 lb. log and I have been quite happy with it. My only gripe is that it is part skimmed which isn't my favorite. I only use it when I am going to do a pizza with the cheese layered underneath the sauce. I find that part skimmed cheeses have a tendency to over brown quickly.

pizzapan