Author Topic: Kitchenaid mixer time limits  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Patdf

Kitchenaid mixer time limits
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
Hello all,
   I just joined your forum and would like to start making dough. I've been lurking in the forums about mixers and have seen that the Kitchenaid seems to have issues with the gears etc. I called Kitchenaid tech support today and asked about what would be a good machine for me since I'm starting out and would probably be making small batches. I told them that I see lots of comments about the quality of the machines that there nothing like years of past when Hobart made them. In regards to the gears and motor overheating, they told me that the machines are rated to be used for 4 to 6 minutes max then needs to cool down (approx 2 minutes) then you can proceed again. I just wanted to bring this point up incase someone may be interested. Now my question, since I'm very new at this, do you think that the 4 to 6 minutes operating time seems to be a valid point? Are there people who had issues think that they over worked the machine (over the time limit)? Also what is the average time, if there is one that you knead bread for, is it over 6 minutes? I'm asking these questions more to see if I should purchase a KA 600 with the new spiral dough hook. That seems to be more in my budget than the higher end machines Bosch, Electrolux. Any input would be appreciated in deciding what machine to get.
Thanks all,
Pat

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Kitchenaid mixer time limits
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »
Patdf

If you're strapped for cash, (and even if you're not), there's nothing that says you can't make a dough by hand. In truth, you'll learn more by doing it this way. I've been making pizza for years and have used KA mixers, food processors and bread machines, and they all work. So too does a bowl, a wooden spoon and some elbow grease. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but machines aren't magic, they're just tools.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
Pat, I conducted a brief experiment to study the effects of mix/knead times in my Artisan. I used a 11.5% protein flour with 60% hydration and did one batch at 4 minutes another at 8 minutes, both at speed 2. The 8 minute dough was much more elastic and springy and didn't exhibit that much better oven rise if any. The one time I use an extended mix knead is when I make ciabatta style dough at 90% hydration. IMO 4 to 5 minutes is all that's required and I use a C hook, not a spiral.
Don

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
Patdf;
I totally agree, give hand mixing a try. You will be surprised at how easy it is, and as for being low cost, nothing will beat it. That's the way pizza was first made, and it still makes a great pizza. If you will send me your e-mail address I'll send you a copy of my home made pizza dough recipe/formula to get you started. Roll up your sleeves, grab a wooden spoon and a bowl, and prepare to have fun learning how to make great pizza. Remember, the journey is as much fun as the destination, and as a side bonus, you get to eat your mistakes as well as your successes.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
I've see that time limit exceeded greatly with no issues. KA has to take into account the boneheads who try and whip five quarts of something for 15 minutes.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
Pizzamaster, I quite agree with what you are saying however I wish I had a nickel for everytime someone has come onto the forum asking why their dough is so hard to open after fifteen minutes in a KA. Page 70, pizza crust recipe in my Artisan owners manual states: Add 1/2C flour at a time for two minutes at speed 2 until it clears the sides of the bowl. Mix for two minutes more. To me it's fairly clear four minutes is all that's needed and without fail I have found this to be true.
Don

Offline tikidoc

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
If you want to stay in the same price range as a KA mixer and don't want to deal with letting it cool down all the time, I would look at a Bosch Compact mixer.  Do a search, there are a ton of threads on this site (and on thefreshloaf.com, a bread oriented site) on mixers, and most people who make lots of dough are not fans of the KA.  I am in this camp, after having two of them die on me, both out of warranty.  Love my Compact, as well as my Electrolux Verona (previously the DLX).

Offline Patdf

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
Thank you for all the helpfull replies.
Pat

Offline Chet

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »

I sort of agree on the title for the KA mixers " Kitchenaid mixer time limits" to start smoking & go BOOM. I just stated this as some Humor, but it does hold some truth to it. I have yet to smoke any of my $4 Thrift store 2lb capacity machines, and I load them with 6-7 cups flour, and I don't have to follow the 2 min knead and let cool stuff, ect, I run them flat out, also I do like the Bosch Compact, If it was just a 6 qt machine, I would go for it. good machine

Chet

Offline Patdf

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
I started to review the Bosch compact and many positive reviews. The larger machine is way to big for me. For you that have the compact version, I have another question. I saw a YT video showing the shredder attachment shredding mozzarella and it looked like it worked great. I couldn't find a video on the compact using the attachment, but the shredder description said hard cheese. Anyone have this attachment and tried shredding fresh mozzarella.
Thanks again,
Pat

Offline Chet

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »

PAt

If you go over to the Fresh Loaf forum, there are a few users there, I don't recall the names, but one guy I think his name is John, he has a Bosch Universal Plus and 2 Bosch Compacts with all the available attachments. hope this helps

Chet

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:26 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this thread.  I have the Bosch compact mixer and am very happy with it.  I tried using my KA Artisan and it did seem to be stressing the machine.  After a lot of research, I decided to try the Bosch compact and it has been just great.  My standard batch is 1000 grams flour at 58 - 62% HD and that's a perfect amount in the compact.  Easy clean up, too  ;D  I don't have the shredder attachment so I can't answer that question - let me know if you have any other specific questions.  

Offline franko9752

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »
I just got the new KA 7qt 1.5 horse power mixer and it works pretty good. i also have the 600 6qt, which i burned up about 6 of them which KA kindly replaced but have cut the load down by using less per mix. With the new 7 qt i can mix 3 16oz balls easily. The 6qt one has 1/3 horse power and the new 7qt has 1.3 horse power.

Offline Patdf

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:50 PM »
Well thanks for suggesting the Bosch Compact. I ending up purchasing it, and really like it, I think it's the perfect size for me, especially since I'm experimenting with dough recipes. I did mention that I was interested in the shredder slicer attachment, I figure it'll be good for speeding up the topping process. Well, the shredder slicer didn't work out so well. don't get me wrong it's a nice product but  it doesn't suit me. I wanted it for slicing mushrooms, peppers, etc. But the thickest slice it does it only 1/8" I didn't even bother with the thin measurement. Unfortunately I'm sending the shredder/ slicer back. But the mixer stays.
Regards,
Pat

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 01:09:35 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this thread.  I have the Bosch compact mixer and am very happy with it.  I tried using my KA Artisan and it did seem to be stressing the machine.  After a lot of research, I decided to try the Bosch compact and it has been just great.  My standard batch is 1000 grams flour at 58 - 62% HD and that's a perfect amount in the compact.  Easy clean up, too  ;D  I don't have the shredder attachment so I can't answer that question - let me know if you have any other specific questions.  

What's the lowest hydration ratio you tried in it? Do you know at what point it seems to struggle?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:39 AM »
I have a KA, a 12 year old Ultra Power (300 watt), and it is a workhorse. I have made 60 balls of dough in successive sessions, and I have had the machine running for 10-12 minutes on fast with no hesitation at all. We use it at least 3-4 times a week for dough and baking. So to hear KA say 3-4 minutes then turn it off is near laughable. They do not make the products like they used to. I believe that the UP is made in the US, and the Artisan is not. And I believe that the Artisan has plastic gears.

John

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
@DNA Dan:  I've done as low as 55% and had no issues.  Haven't tried lower than that.  It's a bit noisy and plastic-y but the thing appears to be a workhorse. 

Offline ElRonno

• Keep calm and eat pizza
    • Eetpraat
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
I can recommend the Kenwood K-Mix as a good alternative to the KA Artisan. Modern design, strong, and in Europe it is way cheaper to buy. Never had any overheating issues.

No, I don't sell them, I'm just a happy owner...  ;D

"When a=depth and z=radius of the pie, the volume is pi.z.z.a!"

Offline jever4321

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
The gear went out in my KA Pro-600 after less than 2 years. I estimate that I made dough about twice a month, so less than 24 uses. I'm thinking about getting a Waring commercial 7 Qt mixer. The price seems right, and it seems like a commercial mixer would hold up better than a home use KA even though they say "pro". Anyone have any thoughts about this mixer?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wsm7q-7-qt-commercial-nsf-stand-mixer/929WSM7Q.html
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
I wound up fixing my mixer. I replaced all the gears and it only cost me $60 in parts. I actually bought too many parts but I wasn't sure what I would need. It was pretty easy to fix. If anyone else experiences this problem I recommend mendingshed.com for parts.
-Jay

pizzapan