Author Topic: Ambrogi MEC-80  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Grimaldi

Ambrogi MEC-80
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
I bought a Ambrogi MEC-80 wfo and just fired it up to test it out. This is the 5' diameter model (51" inside) and is just the raw oven with no enclosure or insulation. I bought it used and had it shipped - it arrived in good condition but wet inside. I placed a section of stove pipe on it and built a fire. Lots of smoke coming out the front!

My questions are:

1 - With a hooded front entrance, does it draw better?

2 - Is the bottom insulated? I know the top and sides need ceramic insulation.

3 - Anyone own one of these, and what do you consider its strong points and weak points?

Thanks,
G

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ambrogi MEC-80
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
1. I would think a lot better. I take it you are going to have the oven outside?
2. It's not in a stainless steel enclosure? It's just the masonry and nothing else? Can you send a pic?
3. I think that may be the oven that they have at Pulcinella in Calgary:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17647.msg171145.html#msg171145 They didn't really know how to use it, but it appeared to have pretty even heat.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »
Yes! Identical, and it is yours! Tell me about it, how does it burn, draw, and cook? The one I bought must have been stored outside because it is saturated with moisture - but appears to be in good shape. The floor and dome look good. It will probably take days to drive out the moisture.

I bought it out of state and relied on pics. I think it is going to work if I can get it to draw properly.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
1. I would think a lot better. I take it you are going to have the oven outside?
2. It's not in a stainless steel enclosure? It's just the masonry and nothing else? Can you send a pic?
3. I think that may be the oven that they have at Pulcinella in Calgary:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17647.msg171145.html#msg171145 They didn't really know how to use it, but it appeared to have pretty even heat.

CL

I can tell from the modified arch in the pic at your link that it is an Ambrogi - the big 60+" inside diameter model. I looked at one of those models and passed on it because it was almost 5000lbs and was in a difficult place to move it from. That is what put me on the lookout for another one in a smaller size.

I'll post pics later with my GF's camera - but I've had a problem in the past trying to post pics. Any tips? I always get a too large of file notice.

Stainless enclosure, but uninsulated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:20:12 PM by Grimaldi »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
You need to resize them below 128K if I remember correctly.

There are online tools you can use if you don't have any software for it. Here is one (google "picture resizer" for other choices):

http://www.webresizer.com/

Something around 600-700px wide usually looks good. 50-60 compression/image quality (if that is an option) is also usually about right.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
And - it is going to be inside!

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
BrickStoneOven - Amazing pizza setup! That is about as good as it gets! I read through the thread and didn't find any posts about smoke issues, but you are outside.

I probably overpaid for my oven, but I called Mr. Cappuccino's and they quoted me $13,000 without shipping. A lot different than the old prices on their website or what I saw someone on another thread say they were quoted in 2009.

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
Use this, easy and free:
http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

I can tell from the modified arch in the pic at your link that it is an Ambrogi - the big 60+" inside diameter model. I looked at one of those models and passed on it because it was almost 5000lbs and was in a difficult place to move it from. That is what put me on the lookout for another one in a smaller size.

I'll post pics later with my GF's camera - but I've had a problem in the past trying to post pics. Any tips? I always get a too large of file notice.

Stainless enclosure, but uninsulated.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
And - it is going to be inside!

Then you must vent it, right?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
I don't have any draw issues
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGmwIZP_QA&amp;list=UU8RIlRXtRDpKmErfVVyTDkw&amp;index=6&amp;feature=plcp" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGmwIZP_QA&amp;list=UU8RIlRXtRDpKmErfVVyTDkw&amp;index=6&amp;feature=plcp</a>
. It was fired once when it was bare(no chimney piping) on the stand http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11034.msg101210.html#msg101210 and it never had any problems except for heat retention but that's obvious because of no insulation. The only time smoke comes out the front is when a gust of wind blows into the oven and causes a rolling smoke wall in the entrance like at the end of the video. The one in the video wasn't bad but sometimes(most times) it's worse.

So yours isn't drawing at all through the chimney? This is going to sound obvious but did you check if there is anything to blocking it? Other than that I can't think of anything of why the chimney isn't drawing.

The bottom of the oven is insulated ala email from Ambrogi saying the only thing I needed to insulate is the top and sides. There are 3 rolls around the oven and I think it was like 1.5 rolls cut up and stuffed on top.

Depending on what style I'm going for it takes from 2.5-3 hours for full heat saturation. Every oven is different so your going to have to get used to yours. But I get pretty even bakes when the oven is preheated properly. Sometimes I would rush it and not let it soak in the heat and the bakes would come out unevenly. If your dome cracks don't get scared it happens which Ambrogi said in that same email. There are 3 good size cracks in the back of my dome and there has been no adverse effect on preheat, bake, and heat retention.

It's awesome that your putting it inside your house so you can use it all year round. Sadly I only used mine 2 or 3 times last year but that wasn't because of the oven.

Anyways, I'm really happy with mine and most like you will be with yours.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
BSO,  I would like to point out,  that the oven when previously installed was never used at correct temps.  There was a layer of soot on that dome that took hours to burn off,  while doing so there was qiute a bit of smoke.  I doubt that until the oven dries out and comes to full temp, and gets its chimney installed that it will draw correctly.  -Marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
BSO,  I would like to point out,  that the oven when previously installed was never used at correct temps.  There was a layer of soot on that dome that took hours to burn off,  while doing so there was qiute a bit of smoke.  I doubt that until the oven dries out and comes to full temp, and gets its chimney installed that it will draw correctly.  -Marc
Oh yea I forgot you said that.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
Night pic with phone: (I'll have to work on the pics)

I've got the oven sitting in the driveway where the trucking co. left it - since the oven is saturated, I put a tent over it and will keep a fire going for a few days.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:51:53 PM by Grimaldi »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
I guess I misunderstood your initial question. What does the hooded front entrance add that you don't already have?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
I guess I misunderstood your initial question. What does the hooded front entrance add that you don't already have?

CL

I've built a couple of Pompeii style ovens (hemispherical) and which had an inner arch and an outer arch - the smoke vent was right outside  the inner arch - as it is with this Ambrogi, the outer arch keeps the smoke from blowing around so easily. My Pompeii burns like a furnace and the only time smokes comes out the front is on startup and only for a very short time - minimal at that. The Ambrogi smokes out the front from any wind blowing around - if there is no wind, then it draws. It isn't setup with a tight fit on the chimney, but it is going to have to be drawing without smoking before I can use it inside.    

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
I've built a couple of Pompeii style ovens (hemispherical) and which had an inner arch and an outer arch - the smoke vent was right outside  the inner arch - as it is with this Ambrogi, the outer arch keeps the smoke from blowing around so easily. My Pompeii burns like a furnace and the only time smokes comes out the front is on startup and only for a very short time - minimal at that. The Ambrogi smokes out the front from any wind blowing around - if there is no wind, then it draws. It isn't setup with a tight fit on the chimney, but it is going to have to be drawing without smoking before I can use it inside.    
The same happens with me everytime there is wind. Smoke will always come out the front. I highly doubt you will have this problem if you have it inside your house.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »
It will draw better with a longer chimney which I'm guessing you will need for inside the house?

Mine is 9' of 10" ID insulated pipe straight up and it sucks like a vacuum cleaner.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
It will draw better with a longer chimney which I'm guessing you will need for inside the house?

Mine is 9' of 10" ID insulated pipe straight up and it sucks like a vacuum cleaner.

CL

I checked out your Acunto oven and it looks like an amazing oven - how low is dome and what is the diameter?

This Ambrogi has a 8" ID and 11" OD insulated pipe. It is drawing better today - like I said, it was saturated with moisture, it was so wet that it was steaming all night. From the freight weight ticket I'm guessing it had 200lbs of moisture from being left outside for who knows how long. I'm feeling better about it now that it is drying out - dome and floor look sound so I'll figure it out.

BTW, it is going to be inside, but not in a house - in a 24ft enclosed trailer (8' ceiling, 8.5' wide, 10,000lb capacity).  

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
I checked out your Acunto oven and it looks like an amazing oven - how low is dome and what is the diameter?

Thank you. It is about 47" ID, 65" OD, 15" dome, and 4200lbs.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan