Author Topic: Want more flavor in Crust  (Read 2172 times)

Offline luvtherays

Want more flavor in Crust
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
Hi,

I have made alot of progress in my pizza making in only 1 week with all your help. There are between 5 and 8 people in my household so i can make lots of test pizzas and they get eaten quickly.

I have been using the basic NY pizza recipe you have suggested and it is going great. One thing i would like to improve upon - What would you suggest to make the dough more flavorful. The crust is coming out great but it would be nice to get some more flavor in the crust. I want to try to keep things simple.

Sincerely,

Mike

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Want more flavor in Crust
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
Simplest answer is cold ferment for a few days, more flavor will come with longer ferment time.
Complicated answer, start experimenting with sourdough.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
How is your color? Brown is the color of flavor. If your pies are light, getting more browning (via thicker stone, steel plate, broiler, etc.) will increase the flavor markedly.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »
Mike,

I posted earlier today on the same issue but in the context of a Sicilian style pizza, at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17249.msg168118.html#new. Maybe there is something in that post that will help.

Peter

Offline Making Pizza

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
Simplest answer is cold ferment for a few days, more flavor will come with longer ferment time.
Complicated answer, start experimenting with sourdough.

Dmcavanagh, I was just going to ask the question of why cold ferment the dough...? and then I ran into your post. I have not been fermenting my dough and maybe that would answer a problem I was having with moisture from vegetables along with a better dough taste.

Also, I am using all purpose Costco Harvest flour. Because I am using it for bread as well as pizza. It that a problem and if so what would you suggest? I do have a pizza stone and I have read the posts on turning the oven to 500F for a period. I am afraid to do that too much for fear of destroying the oven.

Thanks for the insight.
Peace, Mark

Offline Cman710

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
Mark,

I am novice who just started experimenting with NY style pizza.  Initially, I started with a bread flour, and now have moved to King Arthur Sir Lancelot, which is a high gluten flour.  I noticed a significant flavor difference when using the high-gluten flour and about 2 days of cold fermenation.  I also use about 2% salt, which may be higher than you are using. That might help out a bit.

Offline Making Pizza

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
Mark,

I am novice who just started experimenting with NY style pizza.  Initially, I started with a bread flour, and now have moved to King Arthur Sir Lancelot, which is a high gluten flour.  I noticed a significant flavor difference when using the high-gluten flour and about 2 days of cold fermenation.  I also use about 2% salt, which may be higher than you are using. That might help out a bit.

Thanks Cman

Offline UPSTATENY

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:19:14 AM »
I use Hummer flour; it is the flour we used in the pizzeria; age it at least two days, and you will have that great NY taste.

pizzapan