Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 42492 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »
I sense a fat-ache in the making.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »
Hey! I resemble that remark! >:( :-D

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »
Wherever you are going on Saturday afternoon please count me in.  That's if there's room.   I'd join you on Friday during the day but it's a big shopping day for me.  I might be able to hit a place or two later in the afternoon.   Friday is our 2nd anniversary and I would love it if you all could find your way over befor we close at 11pm for some of my celebratory Limoncello.  Please keep me posted.

Ciao,

PG

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
This just keeps getting better and better!  He have to make room for you Paulie.  I'll ride in the trunk if need be, no joke.  ;D

Would also love to try one of your pies and limoncello!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:22:26 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
Just poppin' in here...what an extraordinary weekend this is shaping up to be! :)

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but money is very tight at the moment for me so I will only be able to participate in some of the journey -- probably more of the places where they have slices. :( I am really curious about the Staten Island places too since I rarely get over there unless just driving through, coming back from Jersey into Brooklyn.

If my tax return comes in time (which it is very likely to do) I may be able to do more...

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
Just poppin' in here...what an extraordinary weekend this is shaping up to be! :)

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but money is very tight at the moment for me so I will only be able to participate in some of the journey -- probably more of the places where they have slices. :( I am really curious about the Staten Island places too since I rarely get over there unless just driving through, coming back from Jersey into Brooklyn.

If my tax return comes in time (which it is very likely to do) I may be able to do more...

I've got your tax return right here, pal.

You should not miss out because money is tight at the moment. I've certainly been there and others have helped me out, which I'm more than happy to do for you for the daytime portion at least.

Just show up and partake in all of it!  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
PB, Thanks very much for that sentiment! :) I am def on board for as much as I can. I wouldn't miss this...no way, no how!

scott123

« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
Paulie, that's fantastic that you'll be able to join us. Because Kelly is coming in Friday, we've been kind of focusing on that leg of the tour, but we've got a sizeable group on Saturday, including yourself, 6, maybe 7, and, now that you're joining us, I think that number is going to grow ;)

Since Saturday is still in flux, Paulie, let me ask you this: Where would you like to go?  ;D Would you like to head back to Brooklyn and hit your favorite slice in New Park and maybe a couple places that we don't go to on Friday?  Or would you like to hit a few places in Manhattan? How about Jersey? What would work best for you?

I'm not making any promises, but I do want to accommodate your preferences/availability as much as possible as we plan Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:48:11 PM by scott123 »

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
Whatever works for everyone else works for me.  And if you stop by Friday night for a nightcap I promise there will be no bench flour in the Limoncello.  And Johnny Dubya I got you covered too.

Ciao,

PG

scott123

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
I promise there will be no bench flour in the Limoncello.

:-D

Are you sure, Paulie? Maybe you stumbled on to something there.

Edit: Limoncelldough?   :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:13:20 PM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »
Alright, based upon the new info from Kelly and John, we need to rethink Friday a bit.

Unless we can work around JohnC's schedule, half of us will be in my car and half will be taking mass transit, so that nixes starting off in Staten Island.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and, while tasting lots of pizza from lots of places IS important, one of my favorite segments of all these tours has been the discussion we had at Sycamore. The beauty of Sycamore was the ample seating and quiet atmosphere (and the adult beverages didn't hurt ;) ). I've talked about this a little bit before, but I'd really like to find places that are conducive to discussion.  That's what appealed to me most about Staten Island.  Staten Island gives us a few legendary pizzerias, that, during that time of the day, shouldn't be too crowded or noisy. If the weather is half decent, we might be able to eat outside at L&B, so that could be discussion friendly. I'm also hoping that, as we push later into the night (in Manhattan or anywhere else we end up), things might quiet down- maybe.  Between  around 4 and 10, though... I don't know.

If anyone who's been to these places and could chime in with which one(s) they feel would be most discussion friendly on a Friday night, I'd appreciate it.  Even if it's out of the way, I still think it's worth considering.

On another note, I was looking over Franny's website and noticed this:

Franny's cannot accommodate parties larger than 6 and does not take reservations. We are a first come, first serve restaurant and parties are seated when completed.

This does not bode too terribly well.  Maybe we can try to play the VIP card and see if they'll bend the rules for us, but, that's probably a long shot.

And, of course we're going to Paulie's  ;D  When I drew up the previous plan, the logistics only worked out to hit two Brooklyn sit down places, and, based on feedback, Franny's and Barboncino had the two top spots, but I've always had Paulies in the back of my mind as a third option. I would still really like to head into Manhattan later in the night, so that means that we either go to Paulies after Franny's (8:30 or 9:00) or, if Franny's tells us to go suck an egg, then we go to Paulie's at 7:00 (if he can take us).

Paulie, I know these times all pretty much suck for you, with the later slot being especially difficult, but Barboncino opens at 5:00, so it only makes sense that we go there first, and I'd catch hell if I didn't at least try to score everyone a taste of Franny's clam pie (double entendre not intended ;) ), so that leaves us with a pretty small window.

What do you say, Paulie? Ten people at 7:00 or 9:00 on a Friday night? And, no, I'm not smoking crack  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:27:05 PM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
Re; Lucali's... cross it off the list. Historic venues and gorgeous waitresses are always a draw   ;), but between the minimum 1/2 hour wait, the dry, crackery (I've heard 'tasteless' thrown around as well) crust, and eating into our precious evening itinerary, I just can't see it happening.

Also, thanks everyone for your patience in what is shaping up to be a very long thread- 6 pages and we still don't have an itinerary.  There's a lot more puzzle pieces to put together this time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:46:21 PM by scott123 »

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
We don't take reservations for any time but 6pm and we already have a party of 20 taking our two big tables.  Although you guys are certainly VIPs, so is everyone else who walks thru our doors.  I can't leave the impression that I am treating anyone preferentially.  I hope you understand. I really want you all to come in and celebrate our two year anniversary with me even if it's just for drinks.  If you guys don't mind coming in at 10pm I can make it work although you may have a few minutes wait.  I know it's late, but it will be a better experience than coming earlier.  You can stay as long as you want as long as you get your pie orders in before 11pm.  I might even turn the music down a bit at that point. Waddaya say?

PG

scott123

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
A party of 20?  :o

Paulie, I understand completely. That is very kind of you to offer to allow us to stick around past closing.

If we do Paulie's that means no Manhattan. As far as Manhattan goes, I don't really have a horse in that race.  I'd like to eventually get to Co. and the Pistacchio e Salsiccia at Don Antonio has my mouth watering, but I think other members have a greater investment in a later evening trip to Manhattan than I do. Let's let some of those folks chime in.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:02:24 PM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »
You know what, I'm trying to be diplomatic here and allow as much feedback as possible, but Paulie's being so incredibly gracious, do we really have a choice?

Paulie's at 10 it is ;D

Offline Vesta Wood-Fired

« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
  I'm in for the tour.  I will be on pizzaiolo duty Fri and Sat night, but anytime up until then I'd love to attend.  Also, if anyone needs a ride from Jersey let me know.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Awesome Frank!! Glad to have you of course.  I am trying to go with the flow, however I am going to pizza expo in Vegas on  Sunday and having a possible platform tennis tournament on saturday most of the day, so a bit confused. I have some things to take care of. I am working hard to clear the schedule for friday to make it earlier.  I  don't mind driving and think iwill be ok Scott to meet at 11:00 am somewhere? Friday but not sure I can do the 12 hour tour. 
The weather started getting rough , the tiny pizza was lost,
if not for the courage of our leader scott,
the tour would be lost,
the tour would be lost  :-D

I will be in to Vesta  before the tour to discuss our options, gonna be a bunch of pizza freaks for sure!
We still have some time Scott don't over think it ! Will be a blast nor matter what!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »
Oh remember what mama used to say
You can make some of the people happy some of the  time
But  You can't make all of the people happy all the time
Something like that?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
OK ... Last I saw this was itinerary here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17885.msg173871.html#msg173871

And then I saw the followup comments on that regarding Franny's, etc., and the possibility of there being no Manhattan component. I'm fine with whatever.

Based on that schedule, I can meet up on Friday evening (March 9) at whatever ends up being the 6:30pm pizzeria. Or I could just join at 8pm at Best Pizza.

I think I might have said before, I'm not particular about where we go (or how many pizzerias I can eat at in one day), since I have easy access to these whenever. I'm more concerned with meeting all y'all.

Still working out whether I can do Saturday for Vesta. The old lady and I have "Baby Slice" in the oven, and we're using weekends to slowly get the homestead ready. I usually have to devote at least one day at home to tidying up/remodeling.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
Hi.....I posted this exact post in another thread where Chau and Scott invited me to this NYC weekend.  I would love to accept as long as I am not stepping on anyone's toes.  Thank you so much

Guys

If the invitation is still on, I can make that March weekend.......any day or both........thank  you once again......I guess you guys will get in touch with further info??

Scott.....this seems like a lot of people are gonna be there....if I have to take a rain check, Im cool with that........its just nice to be invited.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:03:05 PM by gabaghool »

pizzapan