Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 36700 times)

Offline scott123

Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »
It's either going to be Friday, March 9th or Saturday, March 10th (or both?  >:D )

Who can make it, and, of those that can, where do you want to go?

My preliminary thoughts are here

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16969.msg173262.html#msg173262

but I'm flexible, so I'll go where everyone else wants to go.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
I could probably make March 9. Can't do the 10th. Need to know pretty quick though.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
Craig, would love to meet you in person.  Let's see what Scott thinks about Friday.

Chau

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
If y'all come to Brooklyn or Manhattan let me know.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
I can do Friday or Saturday.

I know John Conklin expressed an interest, so let's see what his availability is like.

Chau, we might have some people available on Friday with others available on Saturday. Would you be open to the idea of maybe a Brooklyn excursion on Friday and NJ on Saturday? Or vice versa?

Craig, if you come up, will you be available during the day? Friday night is fine for me, but I'd prefer to be hitting places during their less busy times so we can minimize any line waiting.

Johnnydoubleu, if we go to Brooklyn, which day is better for you?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:21:12 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
Scott, I should be available both days.   ;D

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
If you guys are coming to Brooklyn and I have enough notice, I will work around everyone else's schedule as I would likely be traveling the least. I will have to check with my better half tonight to make sure I don't have any conflict/s I don't know about! :)

Any ideas on what places might be on the itinerary (in Brooklyn)?

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
John, in the other thread, Chau expressed an interest in having one from each of these styles:

slice, old school ny, np, hybrids, or coal

Here's my preliminary recommendation:

slice - ?
old school ny - Pizza Town or Best (or both)
np - Barboncino
hybrids - Vesta? Paulie Gee?
coal - ?

Barboncino is appealing because many of us haven't been there and I've heard good things about it. Differentiating between 'old school NY' and 'slice' is tricky for me, because I tend to combine them. I consider Pizza Town a 'slice' place, but I'm pretty sure both you and John Conklin probably put it in a different class.  Best is also a bit tricky to classify.

If everyone REALLY wants to go to Totonno's, I'll tag along, but I was thinking that Chau could cover coal on his own with a subway ride up to Patsy's  ;D

Those are my thoughts, but, honestly, I think, when it comes to Brooklyn, we should probably be asking you where to go.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:19:29 PM by scott123 »

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
That is good, sensible list. I will think about it a bit and then add some suggestions. The ease of getting from one of these places to the next should factor in a little so that way we aren't skipping all over. I agree with the idea of trying to hit these places earlier in the day for our purposes (so we can geek out unfettered and get doted on :)). Are there any neighborhoods or landmarks that are of interest as well (e.g. http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/ is pretty neat and there is a very solid "regular" gas deck place near it -- Fascati)? Totonno's is near enough to Nathan's that we could pop into Nathan's real quick for those that want to check it off their bucket list. Of course if the focus should be or needs to be solely on pizza that is fine too, just might be nice to work it all in together and make the experience a little fuller/richer. The drive from Totonno's to L&B ain't bad either...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:43:37 PM by johnnydoubleu »

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »
Man I wish I could go to NY.  I have to keep working to pay for my pizza habit :P

One question tho... My wife just got back from NYC and she went to Jon Waxman's Barbutto's.  They had the pizza and she said it was the best ever.  We go to Chris Bianco's place on occasion and she said no contest?  WT Heck?  

I never hear you NYC guys even mention it.  Did she have to many martini's before she went and her judgement was clouded? :-D

Scot

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »
Man I wish I could go to NY.  I have to keep working to pay for my pizza habit :P

One question tho... My wife just got back from NYC and she went to Jon Waxman's Barbutto's.  They had the pizza and she said it was the best ever.  We go to Chris Bianco's place on occasion and she said no contest?  WT Heck?  

I never hear you NYC guys even mention it.  Did she have to many martini's before she went and her judgement was clouded? :-D
I haven't had it and I do like and admire Jonathan, but cheffy pizzas usually aren't "great" -- it is not a core competency of theirs generally. That said, I have no doubt it was delicious in its own way/within the context of being in NYC, at a beautiful, well regarded restaurant helmed by a "famous" chef -- probably didn't hurt your wife's perception of the pizza.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:58:12 PM by johnnydoubleu »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
Craig, if you come up, will you be available during the day? Friday night is fine for me, but I'd prefer to be hitting places during their less busy times so we can minimize any line waiting.

Scott, I could come up either the evening of the 8th or the morning of the 9th. I would also be free during the day on the 10th. I'd probably be free for lunch on the 11th too.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
Craig, what time would you turn into a pumpkin on the 10th?

Also, where do you want to go?  I really want to try and cater to the people that will be traveling the furthest.  Chau is leaving it up to us.  Is there anywhere that you really want to hit? Also, you've been hitting these places quite a lot on recent trips- is there anywhere that you'd like to avoid?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:00:11 PM by scott123 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
Craig, what time would you turn into a pumpkin on the 10th?

Also, where do you want to go?  I really want to try and cater to the people that will be traveling the furthest.  Chau is leaving it up to us.  Is there anywhere that you really want to hit? Also, you've been hitting these places quite a lot on recent trips- is there anywhere that you'd like to avoid?

Probably around 5ish on the 10th, but not positive.

I don't particularly care where we go. I'm in it to hang out with you guys. Barboncino maybe? Franny's? Dannatella?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
I'm not feeling the '3 months training in Naples' or the gold oven, but the reviews seem pretty good, so if everyone wants to go to Donatellas, I'm game.  ;D

It looks like Adam has been going to Franny's since their opening night in 2004. I'd like to know his thoughts as to how they rate now vs. 8 years ago.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
Yeah, last pic I saw posted here of a Donnatella pie I wasn't terribly impress with.  I know we all have off days but...I'm with Scott.  Literally, he'll be my ride so I'll go where he's going.  ;D

Offline scott123

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
John, how would you compare Fascati to Joe's?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
I'm not feeling the '3 months training in Naples' or the gold oven, but the reviews seem pretty good, so if everyone wants to go to Donatellas, I'm game.  ;D

It looks like Adam has been going to Franny's since their opening night in 2004. I'd like to know his thoughts as to how they rate now vs. 8 years ago.

I don't need to go to Donnatella. Just trying to think of places I had not been. I was at Franny's a month or so back and it (the clam pie) was great.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
I'm just yanking your chain, Craig  ;D I'm actually not that averse to Donatella.

Take a look at this:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/donatellas-pizzeria-chelsea-manhattan-nyc-pizza-review.html

Now... I'd like, if possible, to get a confirmation that the pizza quality hasn't dropped, from someone who's been there recently. If we can get that, I'm on board- especially if we do other Manhattan places like Keste or Don Antonio.

I've seen photo's of Barboncino's offerings (that looked pretty amazing), but I'm not sure that they qualify as a true representation of Neapolitan that Chau is seeking.  We may need to do Barboncino + one other Neapolitan place.

I'm sorry I forgot about your Franny's review.  So, you're telling me that you'd go back after the whole "we only have basil 3 months a year" fiasco?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
I'm sorry I forgot about your Franny's review.  So, you're telling me that you'd go back after the whole "we only have basil 3 months a year" fiasco?

For the clam pie - in a heartbeat!

And I'll bring my own basil for the cheese pie... maybe they would get the message

CL
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:08:21 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan