Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 35701 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
Lucali?

CL
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:10:40 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 06:00:30 PM »
I have heard from some reliable sources that said they were not impressed with Donatella, yet some others have told me they liked it a lot. The pizza heads thought less of it than the regular folks. I haven't been yet because a friend of mine had unbearably salty food there -- so salty they actually couldn't eat it, pizza included. Could have just been an off day though.

I have always enjoyed Franny's and the apps are amazing in my experience (as are the seasonal cocktails). Yes it is a "fussy" place but part of that is what makes the food as good as it is...you can't say they don't have standards! :)

Lucali's construction is basically a less oily Di Fara on a cracker crust (the sauce and cheese are the stars). It is not bad per se but those that believe crust is the most important part of pizza will be disappointed -- the bones are, IMO, entirely inedible. That said, Lucali is an experience and the environment is kinda like a little Paulie's -- it is a sexy, sexy restaurant, the waitresses are truly gorgeous Italian girls -- it could be worse, that is faw shaw ;). Carroll Gardens (where Lucali is) is my all time fav neighorhood in all of NYC -- old mobsters, conversing in their regional dialect/s, play bocce in the local park there and the Italian pastries and sandwiches in that area are no joke.

Fascati is a lot like Joe's -- very thin (but slightly less "done"). I mentioned it primarily for if any of the other choices where down in DUMBO or Brooklyn Heights. Fascati is a good example of the style if you/one is in the area anyway, but not a destination slice. Wild Rise is in DUMBO and is one of if not the only sourdough leavened pizza in NYC. So there are some places in that area worth hitting...

Fascati pic:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20110311fascati.jpg

Joe's pic:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20110218-joes-aerial.jpg
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:29:39 PM by johnnydoubleu »

Online scott123

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »
Wild Rise is in DUMBO and is is one of if not the only sourdough leavened pizza in NYC.

I checked their hours earlier today- closed on Friday and Saturday.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
Yep Scott, Wild Rise is a "pop-up" (in a full time bar) and only open Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. :( Probably not gonna work out this time, but something to consider for the future.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
Cool!
 8)

Wish I could make the trip that way soon.Maybe someday!
Have a great trip Chau!

:)

-Bill

Online scott123

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
Bill, we would love to have you.

Thanks, John, that's helpful feedback. I think I can begin to see an itinerary forming here, but want to give other members a chance to chime in. JohnC?  Larry?  Adam?  Norma? Steve?

And Kelly, you've got an opportunity here to see Chau AND Craig (and the rest of us). Don't miss out on this!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:34:14 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
Thanks Bill, I'll try to eat enough pizza for the both of us.

Did someone mention clam pie? Yum!!!

Gorgeous Italian waitresses?  I don't even need pizza.  :-D

All these places sound great.  Thank you for the suggestions Johnny D.  This is going to be an amazing experience for me.  Can't wait!

Chau

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
:D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:20 PM »
Cool another pizza trip 9th is a definite no problem 10 th is probably also good if I don't go to Hilton head? If I do pizza expo it's deo on the 11 th
You guts don't want to try don Antonio Starita the  montarano? bobocilonos, granny's donatello I go where there is pizza ! Chau may enjoy eataly based on his variety of cooking
Can't wait to meet again!
John
Ps promis to have a new camera by then  :-D
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:16 PM »
Awesome. I'd love to go to the Brooklyn one. I could meet up with you all if you're still going strong during the early evening of March 9 (Friday), since I can't get out of work during the day. Or if it's March 10 (Saturday), I could join for most of the day if not all.

Touching on some other topics ...

Barboncino: I'd say it's no more "cheffy" than Paulie Gee's. Caveat: I've only been twice. Not enough to truly say where it has shaken out. But it wasn't "cheffy" in that way that Batali's Otto is — ie, pizza seems like an afterthought or something they just wanted to open as their umpteenth restaurant in an empire.

Donatella: I enjoyed it. I don't know if the crust is crusty enough for the pizzaheadz. I think maybe some people would find it flat. It's almost pancake-like.

Franny's: That clam pie IS really good. If we/you end up there, hopefully they'll have it that night. It is often sold out or not available. Also: might either have to call to see if they take reservations for large parties or plan to wait ... and wait ... and wait.

Best Pizza: !!!!!!!! YES.

Lucali: JohnnyDoubleU hits the mark. It's Di Fara–esque in cheese combo. (He got a lot of press for saying he was "Di Fara–inspired.") But the crust is crackery. Crustheads (that's everyone here, right?) might be disappointed.

I'm with Scott123 on difference between "slice" and "old-school." They overlap a lot for me, but I would love to hear the nuances of how they are different from John Conklin and JohnnyDub.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »
I'd love to join the crowd on this tour but it's doubtful I'll be able to.  :'(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
I also would love to join everyone on this tour, but also doubt if I will be able to.  Friday is the day I start my preferment at market.  Sure hate to miss out though.   :(

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online scott123

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
I also would love to join everyone on this tour, but also doubt if I will be able to.  Friday is the day I start my preferment at market.  Sure hate to miss out though.   :(

Norma

Norma, what about Saturday?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
Norma, what about Saturday?

Scott,

I am not sure.  I won’t travel to NY by myself and as you already know it takes a full 24 hrs.(from the time when we leave until we get home) when Steve and joined you and the other members before.  If Steve and I would come, (which I doubt right now) we would have to take the subway around to different pizza places.  I know both of us would love to join everyone though.  :) Even if we don’t make it, eat at least one slice for us.  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
Adam, it will be great to have you join us.  The more the merrier, especially you locals who know the pizza scene so well.

Franny's clam pie and Best pizza sound like a must.  I'm still a bit confused on the differences between old school NY and slice, so I'll start a new thread and see if you guys can help clarify.

Steve and Norma.  I would love to meet you two, but I understand it if you can't make it.  24 hours is a lot of traveling for anyone.

Chau

Online scott123

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »
Cool another pizza trip 9th is a definite no problem 10 th is probably also good if I don't go to Hilton head? If I do pizza expo it's deo on the 11 th

John, as of now, what do you think your chances are of going to Hilton Head? When do you think you might know for certain? It looks like we have just about everyone that can make it available from 11:00 to 5:00ish on Saturday the 10th. If we go with Friday, the 9th, we lose Adam during the day, and, as I said before, I'm trying not to get too evening-y.  I'm not saying we can't go into the evening- it may just be a matter of planning- right now, we're 7 and I think we're going to be at least 8 by the time the dust settles, so, with 8+ we might be able to swing reservations. But, still, Friday night, at a pizzeria (during Lent), if we can avoid it, I'd like to.

Maybe I'm planning a bit too aggressively here, but I'd really like a NJ day so Chau can try Vesta, and, if we do Vesta, it would be really nice if you could join us. In fact, I'm thinking Chau (and Craig, if he wants, and anyone else) can hop on the path train, I'll pick him/them up in Harrison and if time is tight for anyone, we'll only do Vesta, but, if we can squeeze it in, we'll do Vesta, Pizza Town and Amano.  Amano would be especially nice if we don't make it to Keste, as we could assure that Chau's Neapolitan requirement would be covered.

I've mentioned Don Antonio a couple times, but the list is getting a bit long. I really want to try a fried pizza, but I'm not sure how highly it ranks in this tour and whether or not it works within the framework of Chau's desire to cover the basics.  Now, if we can confirm that the questionable margherita you received was just a fluke and we can cover fried pizza AND traditional Keste quality Neapolitan there, then that makes Don Antonio a lot more tempting.

If we did a Manhattan day AND a Brooklyn day, we could really hit just about everywhere, but the problem is, neither Manhattan nor Brooklyn offer a Vesta type pie (or, for that matter, Pizza Town), while we can pretty much cover the pies available in Manhattan with places in Brooklyn- with the exception of confirmed authentic Neapolitan.

If I'm hearing everyone correctly, here's the short list so far:

Franny's
Barboncino
Best

I also think I'm hearing (much to my chagrin :P) a general agreement on Totonno's. After seeing Craig's review, I'm not stepping foot in Lombardi's and I wouldn't trust Grimaldi's as far as I can throw them, so, I guess, since we're in Brooklyn, we might as well cover coal with a trip to Totonno's. I will say, though, that I don't want to end up at Totonno's on Friday night, even with reservations- I think it's going to be really crowded and noisy.

Speaking of noise, one thing that I noticed about these last few trips is that certain places, during certain times of the day, are conducive to conversation and some places are not.  Even if we do score reservations for Friday night at a few of these places, are we going to end up having a hard time hearing each other because of the noise?  Paulie Gee's was pretty noisy when we went on a weekday night.

Speaking of Paulie Gees... I really want Chau to have the Paulie Gee 'experience,' but, the bench flour and the high level of undercrust char are kind of dealbreakers to me. But, then, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to char, so I might be in the minority opinion.  If Chau is coming to Brooklyn, though, I can't really see him missing out on Paulie's.

Thoughts?  ;D

Online scott123

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:39 AM »
Scott,

I am not sure.  I won’t travel to NY by myself and as you already know it takes a full 24 hrs.(from the time when we leave until we get home) when Steve and joined you and the other members before.  If Steve and I would come, (which I doubt right now) we would have to take the subway around to different pizza places.  I know both of us would love to join everyone though.  :) Even if we don’t make it, eat at least one slice for us.  ;D

Norma

Norma, I'll be driving in, as I think John Conklin will as well, so I don't think you'd have to take any subways if we planned it well, but I completely understand where you're coming from in regards to the 24 hour scope and how incredibly daunting that might be.

Online scott123

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
Awesome. I'd love to go to the Brooklyn one. I could meet up with you all if you're still going strong during the early evening of March 9 (Friday), since I can't get out of work during the day. Or if it's March 10 (Saturday), I could join for most of the day if not all.

That's phenomenal that you can make it Adam.  This is shaping up to be a pretty incredible group.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Has Chau had L&B (I know some of you just had Mr. Bruno's though)? Not that it was on his list of styles but I think everyone should have an L&B square at least once in their lives -- it is a right of passage (and the spumoni is awesome)...driving wise it is fairly close to Totonno's. FWIW, Totonno's is probably the most consistent of the old school coal-fired places in NYC and during the day (if they are open) it is easy to get a table (and convos are easy as their is little din) -- especially in "winter". Lombardi's and Grimaldi's don't compare at all. Patsy's is pretty great but it is a trek in its own right. Also maybe no one cares cause it is not pizza but Nathan's Coney Island is famous for a reason -- their dogs and cheese fries are bangin'! It is easily walkable from Totonnno's it is that close. Might be nice to throw one non-pizza place in the mix just to break things up a bit. Just a thought.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »
Johnny, I have yet to have any pizza in NY!  :(. But that will be taken care of very soon.  ;D

I trust the judgment of the members immensely.  L&B square sounds awesome.  I'm open to trying anything you guys wanna throw my way.   Grimaldi's, I tried the one in Scotsdale, Az.  Good but I wasn't crazy about it.  I'd rather try something new to me, which most everything will be.

Nathan's dogs and cheese fries?  Let's do that for lunch!

Chau

pizzapan