Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 41365 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
I forgot to thank Craig for notifying me this was taking place.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you!
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
I'm actually free and willing to make the trip now. Either Friday or Sat.    Norma?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
PB, good to hear you will be able to join us on Friday.   :D.  Atmosphere is nice as no one wants to eat in a dump, but good pizza takes priority over atmosphere for me.  I'd rather eat really good pie at a not so upscale place than to pay for atmosphere, unless there are going to be gorgeous Italian waitresses there, then I can live with crappy pizza.   :P

I'm pretty easy going though, I'll go anywhere you guys and gals want to go.

Yes Craig, title change to NYC pizza expo 2012.

Good news Steve!

Chau
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:35:20 PM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »
Kelly, I'm really happy you can make it.

Right now, nothing is set in stone.  We're just confirming everyone's availability and then going from there.  I'll PM Larry, just in case he missed this thread, as I don't think he's going to want to miss something of this magnitude.

It looks like, with your Friday availability, that, in order to include Adam (which we obviously have to do), we're heading into the dreaded Friday evening zone  ;D

Our numbers are increasing, but, as of this moment, we can fit into two cars.  I think we might be able to cover more ground/hit more places in cars then in trains. Maybe.  Depending on the traffic. Also, depending on the places we choose, it could end up a lot of walking. Some places are close to subway stops, but some aren't.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
I'm actually free and willing to make the trip now. Either Friday or Sat.    Norma?

Steve,

If you can go, I also want to go.   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
I'm actually free and willing to make the trip now. Either Friday or Sat.    Norma?

That's great to hear, Steve. With you and Norma, that's 10.  

We've never been in this position before, but I think we might be reaching critical mass. If Larry and Mike join us, that's 12. Car wise, that's a sketchy proposal, as are reservations.  I'm not sure about making reservations for 12 at a place like Franny's or Barboncino.

For now, let's give Larry the chance to respond, but, unless something changes, the list is set:

Chau
Myself
JohnC
Craig
JohnW
Adam (for the Evening)
Gene
Kelly
Steve
Norma

and maybe Larry/Mike.

Edit: Larry is in Italy from the 5th to the 15th (poor guy! ;D ).  I still think 10 is a good number and might work out car wise, so, unless someone feels differently (or we ditch the cars), then I think this is it (for what's looking to be Friday).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:56:12 PM by scott123 »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
Friday evening past about 6pm or so is no good for me.

I'm going to take either the 6:30am or 7:30am Bolt Bus from Baltimore to Manhattan, which puts me in Manhattan between 9:45 to 10:45am. I'll jam the subway over to Brooklyn from there.  If I need to kill some time before the tour starts, that's no problem on my end.

But I'll likely have to jam the 5:30 or 6:30 bus out of NYC. Maybe 7:30. But since I would need to get back into the city, that means I would need to leave Brooklyn about 30 minutes to 1 hour before the bus leaves (depending on where in Brooklyn we are at that time).

Long story short, I'll be in Brooklyn from call it 11:00am and be available to partake in however many stops 5 or 6 hours entails before I kiss and run.

Sounds like fun!

Definitely excited to meet you guys.  :)

scott123

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Kelly, Steve and Norma have a really long bus ride, so I'm not sure how early they can get in, but for the rest of the people that can do Friday during the day, I think starting at 11:00 is no problem. What I'm wondering, though, is where we can go at 11:00 am?

The other thing I was thinking about was order.  I was thinking about starting in Coney Island and moving up, but that puts us at Franny's later- which might put the clam pie in jeopardy.  It also looks like

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/barboncino-brooklyn

Barboncino doesn't open until 5:00. Totonno's opens at 12:00, so that's not an 11:00 option either.

Btw, if anyone either really wants to go somewhere or, for whatever reason, really wants to avoid a particular place, but doesn't feel comfortable talking about it publicly, pm me.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
You guys are killing me. I'm a little more than a month away from having a knee replacement. If I was able to walk I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »
I'm fairly certain L&B opens at 11:00am.....unless my memory has gone kaput or they have changed their hours. (either is possible)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »
Scott,

Steve and I arrived at Port Authority around 12:00 pm for the last pizza tour.  We can get an earlier bus if anyone wants to meet up at about 11:00 am.

Norma

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »
Of course, if we start in Brooklyn at noon, that gives me time to get a square/Sicilian from Artichoke on 14th street before sliding over to Brooklyn (they open at 11am)  :)

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »
Scott,

Steve and I arrived at Port Authority around 12:00 pm for the last pizza tour.  We can get an earlier bus if anyone wants to meet up at about 11:00 am.

Norma

Norma, if the Brooklyn leg starts towards noon, I'd be happy to meet you at Port Authority earlier and we could hit up a NY-Style slice from Sacco Pizza or get a square from Artichoke on the way to meet the rest of the peeps in Brooklyn.

Keep it in the back of your head. --K

scott123

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
If L&B opens at 11:00, then I say, in order to maximize our time in Brooklyn and cover the most places, then I think that's where we start.

It looks like this is shaping up to be an early Fri. 'Kelly' leg and a later Fri. 'Adam' leg. We need to start narrowing down which places go in the daytime column and which go at night.  I just checked, Franny's on Friday, opens at 5:30, so that's night. So far, it's

Day
L&B
Totonno's/Nathans

Night
Barboncino (if we can get reservations)
Franny's (again, reservations dependent)

Now, Adam seemed pretty amped about Best, but I know Kelly is a Best fan as well, so you to are going to have to duke that out  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2012, 05:48:42 PM »
Norma, if the Brooklyn leg starts towards noon, I'd be happy to meet you at Port Authority earlier and we could hit up a NY-Style slice from Sacco Pizza or get a square from Artichoke on the way to meet the rest of the peeps in Brooklyn.

Keep it in the back of your head. --K

Kelly,

I think buses leave Reading starting at around 5:30 am and take about 3 hrs. to get to Port Authority.  Steve and I could meet you earlier if you like.  I have to check the bus schedule again.  

Norma
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:52:23 PM by norma427 »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »
It looks like this is shaping up to be an early Fri. 'Kelly' leg and a later Fri. 'Adam' leg. We need to start narrowing down which places go in the daytime column and which go at night.

My legs are too skinny to support much. I'm just along for the ride.

Now, Adam seemed pretty amped about Best, but I know Kelly is a Best fan as well, so you to are going to have to duke that out  ;D

I think Best is the best "old-school", "NY-Neapolitan Hybrid" or whatever it could be classified as pizza in NYC that I have yet to try. The regular square (not the one with pickled veggies, which is also excellent) there is also off the chain. But, in any pizza battle between Adam and I, I'm pretty sure Adam wins that by KO in the first round. 

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »

If you guys can squeeze in one more body, I would like to join the Chau tour.

Bob

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
You guys are killing me. I'm a little more than a month away from having a knee replacement. If I was able to walk I'd be there in a heartbeat.

We will miss you then DMC,  good luck with the surgery and don't turn down the femoral nerve block.  I wish you a speedy recovery sir!

If you guys can squeeze in one more body, I would like to join the Chau tour.

Bob

Bobino, I am particularly excited that you can join us.  If there is not room, I will eat outside the restaurants, and you can have my chair.   Just don't forget to send one of those waitresses to check up on me every now and then.  :-D. Ok I'll stop with the waitress jokes!

Chau
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:54:54 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
Its an Expo !
And its awsome!! so we are doing the friday thing?  I will just take maximum use of a day  off from work  and eat Pizza all day. Right?   or is it saturday 11-6pm ? I am a bit confused  ??? Chances are very good I am in for Sat also. and Craig pop  in to Jersey for lunch on sunday. Cant stop me!  I will take you over to my friends at Amano and Vesta. I aso think chau should get the Paulie experience. If we have Kelly with us, and we pin him down, we can find  out the secret  tomatoes  :-D
Lets hit the dirty dozen,  John Dellavechia come on down!! If Norma can do 24 hours you can do a 4 hr drive.  Get Widespread, Marc to pick you up!!
scott, set up a spread sheet so we can all suggest/vote democratically ? or wanna wing it
John
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:46:37 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 10:49:11 PM »
I was just gonna say...John D? Marc?  I sent an email to Scottr but he is busy.  But man o man, this is a great group so far.  We might have to go in as 2 separate parties and get adjoining tables!  ;D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:50:44 PM by Jackie Tran »

pizzapan