Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 39157 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
Frank and Nick, it's really great to have you.

Beyond acquiring some exciting new additions, we've had some encouraging developments on the scheduling side.

Here's the current list of attendees:

Chau
Myself
JohnC
Craig
JohnW
Adam
Gene
Kelly
Steve
Norma
Paulie
Bob
Frank
Nick

This is 14! :o, but bear in mind, it's not 14 at the same places, at the same time. I think, right now, the most we'll have in one place is 11.

And here's the working schedule for Friday:

11:00 Joe & Pat's
12:00 Lee's Tavern
1:00 Nunzio's
1:30 Totonno's
2:30 Nathans
3:00 L&B
4:00 New Park (time permitting)
5:00 Barboncino
6:30 Forcella
8:00 Best
8:30 ??????
10:00 Paulie Gees

I tested Ron's (Barboncino) temperature about 5:00 and he was fine with it and excited about the prospect of having us. Adam spoke to Giulio at Forcella about 6:30, and Giulio gave that that the greenlight (THANK YOU Adam!). We have, right now, about an hour and a half of thumb twiddling in Brooklyn- if we can pick up another sit down, great, otherwise, we can look for a slice place (or two) to fill that void.

We're still working out the logistics of Staten Island in the AM (more people than cars, at the moment), but I'm not sweating that right now. The nice thing about our daytime leg is that, while we may need reservations for the Staten Island places, because of the time of the day, we might be able to get away with making them at the end of this week, so we've got time to see how the transportation pans out and as to whether or not we start in Staten Island (with cars) or in Brooklyn (using a combination of cars and mass transit).

This is still preliminary, but here's a proposal for Saturday:

11:30 Amano (when the doors open)
1:00 Pizzatown
2:00 Vesta
4:30 Mr. Bruno's

We're running low on cars here as well. The options for getting out of Manhattan and back in are quite accommodating. For those that want to join us at Amano, the train station is within eyesight of the restaurant.  There's also a bus that goes in and out of the Port Authority to Vesta and I'm willing to pick up anyone that takes the path into Harrison. Like I said, lots of options.  Whoever wants to come and for whatever component, I'll make sure you get where you're going, and, for those that need to get back in the city at a particular hour, I'll make sure you're on the right bus or train to achieve that end as well. In other words, if you want to join us, but aren't sure about the travel logistics, don't worry about it.

Here's everyone that's confirmed

Myself
Gene
Chau
Craig
Bob

And here's the maybes

John Conklin
Frank
Paulie
Adam
Nick

Nick/Frank, I'm putting you in the maybe column because I'm not sure if you want to do both days. Nick, with your NH/NY style-in-a-WFO aspirations, I would say Vesta should be the top of your list, with Best at #2.  If you want to see the most members, though, then I'd pick Friday over Saturday.  If you can do both days, we'd love to have you.  This, obviously, goes for everyone- if you can swing Friday and Saturday, the more the merrier.  Friday's going to have some great people and some great pizza, but Saturday will have great people and better great pizza as well ;).

Based upon 12ish hours of touring on Friday, I didn't want to overdo it on Saturday, but if there's anywhere else in Northern NJ that people want to go to later in the day/into the night, I'm game. Star Tavern isn't super far and might be worth the trip. I've been trying to get to Reservoir Tavern, but that's a bit of a trek. Also, Mr. Bruno's is pretty much an L&B clone, so doing both in two days might not be essential, but it is close to Vesta and I wanted to flesh out the trip a bit. I'm perfecting fine with just Amano, Pizza Town and Vesta.

Lastly, once we get a little more finalized, I'll edit the first post to reflect the most up to date itinerary/guest list so that people don't have to go digging for it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:09:12 AM by scott123 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #121 on: February 29, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »
Scott ,
Just want to be the first to say THANK YOU  and what a great job your doing with the various people, pizza  styles , schedules and well just. A lot of everything. This is going to be a fabulous weekend for all involved .I am so happy I live here in the action! I am planning madly to make both days, and calculate that I will consume  approximately 75- 100 + various slices from march 9th - 13 th  :P holy #*<•%!!
it all worth it, and I can't wait! this is what I live (and exercise) for !
See you all soon T- 10 days
John
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:06:24 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #122 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
The 8:30 slot after Best could be a watering hole/intermezzo.

Offline scott123

« Reply #123 on: February 29, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
Okay, I've thought about this a bit more, and as I keep looking at this schedule, I can't help but feel that we're biting off a bit more than we can chew.  If we meet in Manhattan at 10, that's 13 hours.  I've been trying to get to the Staten Island places for years, and I know everyone else is interested as well, but it seems like the consensus is more along the lines of 'wouldn't it be nice to hit the Island,' rather than 'we can't miss the Island.'  With these two aspects in mind, I'm proposing two changes. 1. Nix the Island. 2. Meet, in Manhattan, at 11:00.  If we're going to get tables, we really should get to Totonno's when they open at 12:00, so that should be our first stop in Brooklyn.  We might be able to grab a slice from Artichokes on the way out to Brooklyn (or perhaps meet there).

11:00 Artichoke
12:00 Totonno's
1:00 Nathans
1:30 L&B
3:00 New Park
4:00 ?
5:00 Barboncino
6:30 Forcella
8:00 Best
8:30 ?
10:00 Paulie Gees

Artichoke would have to be a pretty quick slice to ensure we get to Coney Island in time.  Google has it as 28 minutes, but, with traffic, it could easily double.

This does give us another gap.  We could:

1. Do a slice place at 4:00
2. Stretch out L&B a bit, as well as New Park and push New Park closer to Barboncino
3. Tighten everything up a bit and do a sit down at 3:30 (such as Robertas as Kelly has suggested previously).

Kelly wants to do New Park, so I think pushing it to 4ish might put his bus in jeopardy.

Map
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:02:08 PM by scott123 »

Offline scott123

« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
The 8:30 slot after Best could be a watering hole/intermezzo.

I like that idea, but aren't most water holes going to be wall to wall people at that hour?

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Scott, There are so many over there. I wasn't thinking of any place specific. Adam is over there a fair amount. Maybe he knows a bar (old man not hipster) that might be a little less trafficked. Maybe not. Just a thought.

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #126 on: February 29, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
Scott, There are so many over there. I wasn't thinking of any place specific. Adam is over there a fair amount. Maybe he knows a bar (old man not hipster) that might be a little less trafficked. Maybe not. Just a thought.

In Williamsburg, that's a tall order. The only would-have-been old man bar there that I can think of is overrun with hipsters.

There are, however, three large places in proximity to Best and Paulie Gee. We could either walk (10 minute) or drive to the area ...

The Gutter: Bowling alley and bar. Probably won't get any bowling in at 8:30pm on a Friday. But it's big and we might be able to grab a large table there. Good beer selection. Usually features regional craft beers, etc. http://thegutterbrooklyn.com/

Berry Park: Beer garden. Haven't been. Usually there's tables on the roof, but I don't know if those are open for the season. http://www.berryparkbk.com/

Spritzenhaus 33: It's a huge (for NYC standards) beer hall. Whenever I pass it (on Wednesday nights, granted), it's pretty dead. http://www.spritzenhaus33.com/

One thing to consider, people in NYC often eat around 8pm, so we might not pick up the REALLY crowded conditions at these places. Then again, it's a Friday.
°Hasta la pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #127 on: February 29, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
Scott,

Do you have any idea if some of us are in cars and some of us are using mass transit if we will all be able to stay together?  I donít mind taking the subway, but know sometimes when I went to Coney Island from Manhattan it can take fairly long to get there by subway.  I can get to places by subway, but get confused sometimes on the subway system.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
Norma, I am perfectly happy to ride the subway with anyone who may need to and/or could use a little help gettting around via the train, so don't worry about that. As long as the train takes it often takes just as long or longer to travel by car depending on the time of day, so I wouldn't look at the subway as slow necessarily. There are express trains can speed things up considerably.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
I hate to upset the apple cart,as it were, but the only thing about Paulie Gees at 10 is whether Norma and I can make it to the Port Auth. to make the last bus at 12.15. If Norma and I have to skip PGs, so be it. :'(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: February 29, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Norma, I am perfectly happy to ride the subway with anyone who may need to and/or could use a little help gettting around via the train, so don't worry about that. As long as the train takes it often takes just as long or longer to travel by car depending on the time of day, so I wouldn't look at the subway as slow necessarily. There are express trains can speed things up considerably.

John,

Thanks so much for saying you are willing to take the subway with Steve and me to help us with the subways.  ;D I have gotten lost a few times on the subways, but it wasnít bad.  I always get mixed up with those express trains.   :-D

Norma

Offline scott123

« Reply #131 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
I hate to upset the apple cart,as it were, but the only thing about Paulie Gees at 10 is whether Norma and I can make it to the Port Auth. to make the last bus at 12.15. If Norma and I have to skip PGs, so be it. :'(

You're not upsetting the apple cart.

Paulie's being very gracious about letting us stay past closing, but I don't see us staying there that long (Paulie, you got any sofas we can sleep on? ;) ).  John Conklin mentioned something about not being able to stay out that late, so maybe he'll be heading back into the city before the rest of us. If not, I can bow out a bit early and drive you in or drive you to the train that goes straight to Times Square (a block away from the Port Authority).

Btw, is the last bus 12:15 or is it 12:30, with the need to get there at 12:00 to ensure a seat?  If the bus is 12:15 and you need to get there at 11:45, then we can still do that, it's just a little less time at Paulies.

I'm thinking, no matter what, you'll have a minimum of an hour at Paulie's.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
Thanks Scott, I appreciate your willingness to accommodate our schedule. I haven't seen the bus schedule yet but the last time it was 12:15 departure. I'd love an hour at Paulies. I've been dreaming of Cherry Jones ever since last time!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: February 29, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
Steve and Scott,

This is Bieberís bus schedule for weekdays which includes Fridays.  We would leave Reading to go to NY at 7:00 am and leave Port Authority at 12:15 am.  http://www.biebertourways.com/schedules/11172011/NYC%20rev2.pdf  The last time we left NY the bus sure wasnít full, but you never know.  It would be better to be at Port Authority at least an half hour before time.

Thanks Scott for your willingness to accommodate our schedule too!  :)

Norma

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #134 on: February 29, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
It would be a good idea to have, say by Monday at the latest, a firm commitment of exactly who is driving and:

1. What time will they be joining the tour.
2. How many people can their car hold.
3. What time will they have to leave the tour.

Without a sound idea and commitment on the exact driving situation, we really cannot finalize a battle strategy for the day.

Looks like the 10 day forecast is calling for low 50's and potential rain. But I put as much faith in a 10 day forecast as I do in the Orioles making the playoffs this year.

I know Scott is doing a lot of work behind the scenes on this. Thanks buddy. --K  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #135 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
My 2cents...and it might be worth less than that, but my daughter has an apartment on McDougal street , a block from Artichoke.
 While the name is alluring, and I love my artichokes, , the pizza is god awful, way, way, way overly salted and not worth the room it will occupy in your gut.

Skip it and save belly room  for rest of your ambitious and delicious sounding  day...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #136 on: February 29, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
Great point Kelly I will be abke to commit by Monday at the latest ! thoughts are Monday around 12-1 pm til ? and yes car. ( company vehicle fits 3 + me )
holy crap we have 8 pages of who what where imagine when we start taking pictures !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #137 on: February 29, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
John, that is very kind of you to offer to be one of the drivers.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:21:29 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Vesta Wood-Fired

« Reply #138 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
  I can take another 4 in, and don't mind driving around, I just have to split early to make it back here for the dinner shift.

Offline scott123

« Reply #139 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
  I can take another 4 in, and don't mind driving around, I just have to split early to make it back here for the dinner shift.

Frank, that couldn't work out any better.  We've got 12 during the day and need your help, but at night, we drop to 9 (maybe 10) and should be fine.