Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 43467 times)

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
I'll be meeting up with y'all at Totonno's in all likelihood.

scott123

« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »
Also, the drivers have been finalized.

JohnC, Nick and Frank have all very graciously offered to help with transportation.  Their schedules vary a bit, but at no point on the trip will we run out of car space.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
I spent some time with Google Street View looking at Artichoke.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=artichoke+basilles+14th&ll=40.730771,-73.981955&spn=0.01026,0.012081&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&fb=1&gl=us&hq=artichoke+basilles+14th&cid=0,0,6194081730910848711&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.731871,-73.983847&panoid=S45e3GfX3xeQE-zYdpAwcQ&cbp=12,196.48,,0,4.32

I knew parking was going to be sketchy, but I think even double parking might be a long shot as well. I see a driveway next door that maybe one car could block briefly, but other than that, I think the cars might have to go around the block and/or double park on the ave.  We'll have phones so we'll be able to coordinate everything, but it's probably going to get a little hairy.  If the drivers are going to get slices, one of the passengers might to need to pick them up for us. Or... we could get lucky and find parking.

We're also talking 15 minutes, max, for Artichoke, possibly even 10.  Between the parking/double parking issues and the time it takes to get to Totonno's, we're not going to have a lot of time for pleasantries or any real kind of meet and greet.  Let's plan on formal introductions at Totonno's.

Btw, because of the logistics, this should be the only place on the tour where we might feel rushed.  I'm pretty sure we've allotted a comfortable amount of time everywhere else.

Scott, I was thinking about this yesterday (I've been to 14th Street Artichoke a few times).  Also, depending on what everyone orders, we may potentially run into an issue if, for instance, everyone in the group orders a square and they only have one sheet out (which won't feed the whole group). We'd have to wait for whenever the next pan comes out, which could be be quick or too long given our need to get deep into the borough of Kings to visit Totonno's.  It may behoove us to try and call Artichoke en route and see if they have enough stuff ready to handle our needs so they can get a little bit of a head start if they are short?

I'm definitely going with a square. I think some peeps need to be dropped off to coordinate orders at Artichoke while the drivers box around and double park around the corner on 1st Avenue. Flip the bird back to anyone who beeps and does the same to you because you are double parked...hehe. This is NYC.  :)

I need to bail after New Park.  If the tour is running late, I'll need to get the subway from New Park as it will take about 1:20 to get back to Times Square from there (Howard Beach, JFK stop).  If the tour is on time and there is room, I'd be appreciative if I could hitch the ride to Roberta's and catch the L train from there as it is closer.....and I may have time to catch the subway and buy my sweet girlfriend a few treats from Mast Brothers before taking the bus home.  :)

Blah, blah. I've shaked off the horrid GI bug I had. Now six pounds lighter and ready to pack some of that back on!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:11:11 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

scott123

« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
Scott, I was thinking about this yesterday (I've been to 14th Street Artichoke a few times).  Also, depending on what everyone orders, we may potentially run into an issue if, for instance, everyone in the group orders a square and they only have one sheet out (which won't feed the whole group). We'd have to wait for whenever the next pan comes out, which could be be quick or too long given our need to get deep into the borough of Kings to visit Totonno's.  It may behoove us to try and call Artichoke en route and see if they have enough stuff ready to handle our needs so they can get a little bit of a head start if they are short?

I'm definitely going with a square. I think some peeps need to be dropped off to coordinate orders at Artichoke while the drivers box around and double park around the corner on 1st Avenue. Flip the bird back to anyone who beeps and does the same to you because you are double parked...hehe. This is NYC.  :)

I need to bail after New Park.  If the tour is running late, I'll need to get the subway from New Park as it will take about 1:20 to get back to Times Square from there (Howard Beach, JFK stop).  If the tour is on time and there is room, I'd be appreciative if I could hitch the ride to Roberta's and catch the L train from there as it is closer.....and I may have time to catch the subway and buy my sweet girlfriend a few treats from Mast Brothers before taking the bus home.  :)

Blah, blah. I've shaked off the horrid GI bug I had. Now six pounds lighter and ready to pack some of that back on!!

A ride to Roberta's is no problem. We're going to have 4 cars at that time.

We're all getting squares at Artichoke. You've already confirmed that the square is the best thing they sell, so why should we get anything else?  ;D Right now, unless JohnC can join us earlier, we're going to be 8 at Artichoke (plus possibly a friend of Chau's). How many slices in a sheet? 8?  If we end up being 9, I have no problem splitting a square with someone.

I'm having all the drivers (minus JohnC) meet up at Port Authority when I pick up Steve and Norma.  We're meeting at 10:15. That gives us 45 minutes to get everyone together and go to Artichoke.  Google has the trip to Artichoke at 10 minutes, but taking into account the Kuban googlemap coefficient ;) and the time of day, I'll be happy if we get to Artichoke 15 minutes early.  Chau is meeting up with us at 11:00 at Artichoke.

Is Artichoke likely to answer the phone 15 minutes before they open the doors? Are they liable to take an order for a sheet at 10:45?

Slices can be inhaled pretty quickly, so maybe there's hope that we can get on our way by 11:15, but it's not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I just noticed that Pizza Suprema is open at 10:30. I like that time. How does Suprema compare to Artichoke?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
If I wasn't so swamped right now, I'd been on the next flight.  I'm hoping to get my ass down there this summer.

Matt

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
A ride to Roberta's is no problem. We're going to have 4 cars at that time.

We're all getting squares at Artichoke. You've already confirmed that the square is the best thing they sell, so why should we get anything else?  ;D Right now, unless JohnC can join us earlier, we're going to be 8 at Artichoke (plus possibly a friend of Chau's). How many slices in a sheet? 8?  If we end up being 9, I have no problem splitting a square with someone.

I'm having all the drivers (minus JohnC) meet up at Port Authority when I pick up Steve and Norma.  We're meeting at 10:15. That gives us 45 minutes to get everyone together and go to Artichoke.  Google has the trip to Artichoke at 10 minutes, but taking into account the Kuban googlemap coefficient ;) and the time of day, I'll be happy if we get to Artichoke 15 minutes early.  Chau is meeting up with us at 11:00 at Artichoke.

Is Artichoke likely to answer the phone 15 minutes before they open the doors? Are they liable to take an order for a sheet at 10:45?

Slices can be inhaled pretty quickly, so maybe there's hope that we can get on our way by 11:15, but it's not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I just noticed that Pizza Suprema is open at 10:30. I like that time. How does Suprema compare to Artichoke?

Where at Port Authority (exactly) is everyone meeting at 10:15am?

Pizza Suprema and Artichoke is like apples and oranges. Both vaguely in the same styles, but not really similar at all. The Suprema slice is more in line with the NY-Style pie most people think of where as Artichoke is more of a DiFara-ish skewed (not copy) deal. The square at Suprema is nothing to turn away from, but nothing to write home about either. On a good day, the Artichoke square is pretty good eatin'.

People should get what they want at Artichoke. I'm just one voice among many. --K

scott123

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
Where at Port Authority (exactly) is everyone meeting at 10:15am?

That's a really good question.  Times Square Fairfield Inn (get a spot or double park as close as you can) on 40th between 8th and 9th:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fairfield+Inn+%26+Suites+New+York+Manhattan%2FTimes+Square,+West+40th+Street,+New+York,+NY&hl=en&ll=40.75584,-73.990645&spn=0.010256,0.012081&sll=40.756705,-73.992519&sspn=0.00129,0.00151&oq=fair&gl=us&hnear=Fairfield+Inn+%26+Suites+New+York+Manhattan%2FTimes+Square,+330+W+40th+St,+New+York,+10018&t=m&z=16

I like a 10:30 opening, but it sounds like we have to hit Artichoke.  If worse comes to worse and we leave Artichoke at 11:20, arrive at Totonno's at 12:05 and end up having to wait a half hour, our schedule can absorb it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2012, 10:35:50 PM »
Matthew,
Bummer you cant join in the fun would love to have another Master among us! But be grateful you are so busy you cant get away! so I guess I wont see you at Expo in Vegas ?
Scott still trying to make artichoke, but if parkings that bad I will head totonnos where is the map with the numbered bullet points of the schedule like to get an overall logistical handle on the tour?
oh yeah new camera is ready to go no more blurry blackberry shots
tried it out with Molly my chocolate lab first I asked her to strike a pose. then I asked her what she thought of the new mobile guys pizza we were looking at the other day ?
then I took a close up of the holly tree
this thing is the size of a credit card ! and very simple to use
will make for some good memories of the pizza that was!
John
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:42:26 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
Nice new camera.......now you just need to figure how to get the date display off of the pics by Friday ;)

Good looking dog.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »
Got it Kelly! No more date it's  very   Easy to use  even i can figure it out! Yes Larry, it was on sale of course, great deal after research  35% off!

John

scott123

« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2012, 12:58:18 AM »
John's here a map of the whole trip:

Map

If you're meeting us at Totonno's and don't mind shelling out extra for bridge tolls, then I think the easiest route is through Staten Island:

Map

You basically just find your way to the Turnpike, take the exit for route 278 going towards Verrazano Bridge/Goethals Bridge and then stay on 278 all the way to Brooklyn. Once you get into Brooklyn you get onto the Belt Parkway and you're pretty much there. Your GPS, if you have it on at the beginning of the trip, will try to take you into Manhattan, but if you keep it off and turn it on once you get a little south on the Turnpike (Elizabeth), it should work perfectly for getting you the rest of the way.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
Scott thanks again for all you have done !!
I will see you around noon at totonnos!! FINAL
Ciao !!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
Matthew,
Bummer you cant join in the fun would love to have another Master among us! But be grateful you are so busy you cant get away! so I guess I wont see you at Expo in Vegas ?
Scott still trying to make artichoke, but if parkings that bad I will head totonnos where is the map with the numbered bullet points of the schedule like to get an overall logistical handle on the tour?
oh yeah new camera is ready to go no more blurry blackberry shots
tried it out with Molly my chocolate lab first I asked her to strike a pose. then I asked her what she thought of the new mobile guys pizza we were looking at the other day ?
then I took a close up of the holly tree
this thing is the size of a credit card ! and very simple to use
will make for some good memories of the pizza that was!
John

Your dog looks a lot like my dog - chocolate with white on the face (from age?). Mine also has a white spot on his chest and speckeldy toes on all 4 feet.

CL
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:08:26 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
It's a choco-love-fest.

My girl barely restraining herself from housing my potatoes at brunch in the Fall last year while eating in Fells Point.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
I wonder if there is some connection between a love of pizza and a preference for chocolate dogs?! :) I'll spare you all my cat pics. ;)

Phar Lap

« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »
There must be  ;D...Have a great pizza tour everyone!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »
This is too cool.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
I wonder if there is some connection between a love of pizza and a preference for chocolate dogs?! :) I'll spare you all my cat pics. ;)

Forget chocolate, it's all about the sesame (you try attachin' a photo on an iPhone):

http://img.ly/eXxm

Ciao,

PG

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
These are a few slices of chocolate pizza for tomorrow.  :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
All that glitters....