Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 35546 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
WOW, what a great pizza trip.... wen i make it to NY i hope to go to some of these places... Nice video with Giulio, very nice guy, he was my instructor wen i took the VPN course. Congrats to all off you guys!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
Here are my pictures.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
more

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
more

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
more

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
more

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
and a couple more

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I didn't take many pics.....
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
More....

The parquet floor effect from so many slices being cut in the L&B Spumoni trays is pretty cool....

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
Even with the bottom of some slices being clearly burnt, New Park was a visit I am glad I made.

Seeing the pizza maker side-arm a heavy handful of salt (he did three tosses of salt per salting session) directly into the empty oven chamber was very interesting. You can see the granules of salt on the upskirt.

Definitely gonna try this with a lemon topped pizza....would be good with sweeter dessert pies as well.

The 20" pies cooked very fast here......I stopwatched timed one at just under 3 minutes (2:54ish....I was distracted as the pie came outta the oven, but Craig noticed it was in the 2:54ish range as he looked at my phone when the pie was pulled).

Offline communist

« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Great photos and reviews!  Thanks & keep them coming!  My read is that, for NY slice ( not neopolitan ) Pizza Town has the early lead!  Interesting that Best didn't do it for you Chau

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
You guys are fanatics! Thanks for sharing some of your NYC adventure. Can anybody give a description of the ovens in the pics? It look to me like a Farrara, an a Acuna, maybe an Ambrogi, a hand built...? What temps were they running, what kind of wood, etc.?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Great photos and reviews!  Thanks & keep them coming!  My read is that, for NY slice ( not neopolitan ) Pizza Town has the early lead!  Interesting that Best didn't do it for you Chau

Mark, from what I have read and just tasted, it appears that there are 2 categories to the NY slice.  One with a softer, more blonde rim, softer bottom that is less brown and crispy.  If this is so, I would put Best into this category.  Now that I think of it, I clearly remember Best's crust and crumb.  The crumb was rather dense, soft and slightly chewy, although the rim was very small and not large.   It's as though this crust had no oil in it and a moderately low hydration.  

The 2nd (sub)category for the NY slice style clearly has a crispy crunchy bottom.  Still foldable, but clearly cracks when you fold it.  It may soften up as it sits, but out of the oven it is crispy and even dark as seen by the bottom shot of New Park's slice.  Now I think that pie was ordered extra crispy or well done, so it was perhaps baked that way on purpose, but even if it wasn't baked so dark, it would have still been crispy on the bottom.   This was also true of Pizza town's and Totonno's pie.   The Totonno's pie we ordered (and can be seen in Norma's pics) is not as dark as they normally serve.  This one I clocked at 5 minutes while Scott timed one just under 6minutes.   The one we had was clearly crispy as well when it was sliced.  I could hear it from across the room.  If they normally bake em darker, then the crispiness would be even more so. This can't be a coincidence.   This crispiness, I favor and crave.  This seems to be in direct contrast from the description of slices that I have read about NY slices with the crust light blonde or even white and a very soft bottom.  Now if you take one of these crispy pies, par bake it light, let it sit in a display counter, then do a really quick reheat at low temps, then I can see the lost of crispiness and what folks would describe as just foldable and soft.  Perhaps Scott and others can clear this up for me.    

I probably shouldn't have said better or best, but according to my taste, I much preferred Pizza Town and New Park, and even Totonno's over Best.    
I hope other's will chime in on what their favorites were among the different styles and places.  

You guys are fanatics! Thanks for sharing some of your NYC adventure. Can anybody give a description of the ovens in the pics? It look to me like a Farrara, an a Acuna, maybe an Ambrogi, a hand built...? What temps were they running, what kind of wood, etc.?

Grimaldi, perhaps others who are familar with ovens can tell you what each place uses.   As far as temps, I didn't see anyone check temps with an IR gun at any of the places.  In working with the ovens daily, I'm sure the oven guys get a feel for the temps and how the oven is baking on any particular night based on the size of the coals and fire so checking temps is not needed.  Most of the NP pies were baked between 70s and sub 2 minutes, which should put their temps between 800-900F or so.  That is only a rough range.  I only asked about wood at Vesta, and Frank said they use a mixture of hardwoods.  I'm sure hard wood is hard wood though as long as it is seasoned wood.  As far as I know, the different woods do not impart different flavors to the crust.   As far as a smokiness to the pies from WFO's, there is a distinct char flavor from the pies from wood fire ovens, but I am fairly certain it is due to the char and leoparding spots on the crust as oppose to any smokiness that the pie takes on from being domed or in direct contact with the smoke in the oven.  The distinct taste of char is favored by some that can be easily confused for "smokiness" from WFOs.  

Chau
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:43:16 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
A few pics taken outside of Artichoke and their square pie.

"Frah-ghileh....hmmm must be Italian"   (from A Christmas Story)  :-D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:05:50 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »
Totonno's

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
L&B

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »
Roberta's.  This one had capers on it.  :-X

Pic 2 - John holding a Barbincino clam pie.

Pic 3 - Forcella pie.  I think this one was one of the Fried pies but I'm not sure now.

Pic 4 - Pie from Paulie's.  Bake time 1:30
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:48:09 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:57 PM »
Chau,

I know all of us like different pizzas and have our ideas what an ideal slice of NY style should be like.  I didnít try Best Pizza this time, because I had tried Best Pizza recently two times and wanted to save my pizza overload for the next place.  I wouldnít say Best Pizza was the best NY style I have ever eaten either, but thought it was good the last two times I tried it.  What I remember from years ago (from pizza businesses near my home, the old school ones that arenít around any more in my area anymore that I can find) is the taste of the NY style pizzas were one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted.  I am still in search of trying to make those same pizzas.  I have no idea if it was the flour they used, the cheese, or if they used longer fermentations, but I really donít believe it was from a longer fermentation.  The slices were crispy on the bottom, but not too much, were foldable, and didnít have big oven springs like some of the pies members make here on the forum.  To me really big oven spring really isnít a real NY style pizza, but then that might just be me, because I also like oven spring in my pizzas.  I think it is really confusing to really be able to explain how a real NY style pie should be.  I keep trying to recall all the pizza I ate in my area years ago, and for some reason really canít tell how I think they should be.  I have also tried some really great NY style pizzas in Brooklyn, but they werenít any of the pizzeria I have visited lately.  Maybe my mind is getting foggy.  :-D

Edit:  Chau,  Sorry I butted in when you were posting your pictures, please continue.  :-[ Your pictures look great!   ;D

Norma
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:24:54 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »
Pics 1 & 2 - Pizza town - ma favorite of the slice pies.

Pic 3 and so forth - Vesta Vodka sauce with blackened shrimp, pistachio pesto with onions and smoked mozz, & in house pepperoni and mozz.

Sadly I did not have my camera for the Amano pie.  Craig or Gene, can you post that one?

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »
What a fun time. 

Best part about the tour was putting faces and personalities to their blogs.

All should know of the great effort put out by Scott 123 in selecting the pizza places, arranging transportation, and keeping us all together.

I was able to stay with the group from 11 am until 4pm on Friday.  During that time we visited four  places, one being Nathanís on Coney Island-Iíll skip the details on that one. 

Although Artichhoke was the first stop I want to skip to L & B Spumoni Gardens.  This place is incredibly busy.  They have five four deck ovens and each shelf is subdivided horizontally to double their capacity.  Next to the ovens were about 25 assembled pies ready for baking.  We got a square pie-think Sicilian.  The pie had a very thin layer of fried crust which I expect in this type. Sauce was mildly flavored; the cheese was just there.  Strangely no component overpowered any other so it resulted in an overall balanced pie.  Not the best Sicilian but I would eat it again.

Back to the first stop Artichoke.  This place had a clear advantage as it was the first stop and we were hungry.  Although I donít like heavily fried pies like Pizza Hut, this puppy tasted very good.  It was thinner than the typical Sicilian.  Bottom was charred and oily but tasty and pleasingly crunchy.  The taste of the tomatoes on this pie was dominant and exploded with flavor.  The cheese was just there.  So of the first two square pies we I had I would prefer to revisit Artichoke.  This place has no tables or chairs so prepare yourself for a vertical dining experience.

New Park pizza I would consider a NY slice style with tweaking.  It was foldable and floppy but when held semivertically I could not get it to drip oil onto the plate.   The cheese had some flavor, sauce was generic; I think they didnít want it to get in the way.  Now on to the crust;  the bottom was burned to a crisp-apparently requested by a tour member.  I like some char but this was over the top; I wouldnít have served this pie.  So I took my first bite; boy was that salty.  Then I found out they purposely toss salt into the oven and bake the pie on top.  So the first bite was a surprise-burnt plus salt.  Second bite burnt plus salt.  There was no third bite.  I think I took in my weekly allotment of NaCl in two bites.

Totonnoís is more about history and less about consistency.  Some members remember having better pies there than what we had.  The pie was very thin and crispy.  Crust flavor from some char, uncooked pulverized tomatoes, fresh mozz and topped with Pecorino.  So if you like a very thin crispy old style NY pie, you might like this place. I had a chance to talk to the owner outside while she was taking a break.  She is very proud to serveĒ the best pie in NY.Ē  All recipes came from her grandfather and of course they are a secret.  I think she should keep them a secret.

At this point I had to leave the group.  For the Saturday tour in NJ I told Scott I had a scheduling conflict and couldnít make it.  He told me no excuses, I could not miss the visit to Vesta.  Boy was he right.  You have already heard people sing the praises of Frank the owner of Vesta, but they are not singing loud enough.  He is an absolute gem.  He trained in culinary school before venturing into pizza; so he can think outside the disk.  I cannot imagine anyone being more friendly and open about his operation and methodology.  We spent time in the kitchen as he explained his formulas and work flow.  Next out to our reserved table where he served up some very tasty pies-see previous reports, and drinks.  Then it was on to the ovens and prep area where we opened up some dough balls; some baked their  own pies.  For dessert he made doughnuts out of pizza dough filled with fresh strawberries and bananas; this was good stuff !!  I will definitely go back.

So once again, thanks to all who came from far and wide to take part in this adventure and especially to Scott for all his work.

Kelly, sorry you missed your bus but at least it gave you the opportunity to eat another slice.

Chau, the picture on you shirt is for display purposes only, please donít eat it.

We need to do this again.

pizzapan