Author Topic: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!  (Read 42175 times)

Offline pauliegee

Re: Chau's Coming to New York! Tour Time!!!!
« Reply #320 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
The more I read, the worse I feel about ordering those pies well done at New Park.  I was just trying to be sure that you had the best experience possible, but it ended up being the worst.  I have gone there many times and got a pie or slices without giving them any special instructions and the pizza was superb.  However, on a rare occasion I've gotten it slightly undercooked and it wasn't quite the same slice.  I encourage you all to go back when you have the chance and do some ordering without my interference.  And on another note, the more I read, the more I wish that the couple who celebrated their nuptials in PGs had eloped.  I certainly have to get out to Franks place and Pizza Town.  Tonight though Mrs Gee and I are gonna try Emma's Brick Oben in Cranford, NJ for the first time.  I've seen some incredible photos on the Strictly Pizza group page on Facebook.  I can hardly wait.   Just like when I get a new hat and my wife says "you don't need another hat" and I respond "I will always need another hat", I will alwYs need another slice.   And BTW, that new L&B hat will always remind me of my favorite pitta tour ever. 

Thanks again,

PG 

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
Paulie

Can you get me a hat from the company that cans your tomatoes? :-D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #322 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
No sweat Paulie.

I'm looking forward to having New Park again.  Will have to hit it up on the way to the Rockaways to see what the hipsters are up to at the beach. :D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #323 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »
The more I read, the worse I feel about ordering those pies well done at New Park.  Thanks again,

PG 

Paulie-- No worries from me about the well done at New Park.  The salted oven floor really did it for me.  In fact, I picked the New Park slice out as my favorite for the entire trip.  When I told Scott this, he nearly stopped the car and beat my azz.  :-D

2 Pictures from Totonno's, the New Park pie, and Kelly's lemoncello shots in the parking lot.  MMM MMM Good!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #324 on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
Limoncello shots in the parking lot?!?!?  Maybe if I didn't have 'em burn the pies he would have broken it out before I left for PG's.  No worries as they say though, it looks like orange juice anyway.

Ciao,

PG

Offline Vesta Wood-Fired

« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »
  Hey Guys it was a pleasure meeting everyone.  I had a great time and really enjoyed the company.  Also, thank you very much for adding Vesta Wood-Fired to the tour and checking my place out, I really appreciate that.  For the record, I really enjoyed Totonno's on the trip, contrary to majority opinion.  I thought the pizza was great and was executed really nice in the Coal Fired fashion.  I'm sorry I missed that latter part of the tour, but I will definitely be making it out to those spots soon, especially Paulies. 

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
As promised, here's John on the wheels of peel and the group by the time it hit Paulie Gee's. Again, wish I could have been in on the earlier part, and I wish the early split-off folks could have been on the late part. Chars!
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »
Thanks for the halo Scott.

Ciao,

PG

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2012, 04:47:36 AM »
Paulie,
 I liked the salt and my slice was really not burnt that bad? I understand why you would order well done At new park. Many on the staging area looked light and a tad undercooked .next time we can try medium well!
This slice just nugged out best for my favorite!
Really like the vibe at Robertas and was given the grand tour there great hip spot.
Adam thanks? for posting my timid scared time with a true master guilio you can see how his finger ligaments are quite flexible and that was the highlight of the trip for me for sure!
Expo update
Dinner with mike madan today, paulie he says hello
Got some 1 on 1 with Tony Gemignani! Met Michael Fairholme, meeting tom lehman tomorrow and lots of other great pizza folk. I checked out a beautiful baby blue Stefano oven, and hit 3 great and informative seminars. The show has not even  started yet!
Lots of mobile guys kickin around as well
Night!
Will post tour pics and a thread for expo upon return! Place is amazing!!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »
Next stop was L & B for a square slice. As noted, there was a small gum line underneath the cheese (in the areas that do have cheese).  It was not offensive and gave a great additional mouth feel for a pretty tighty crumbed pizza. Highly rated, and the sauce was great.  I bought a round slice, I believe Chau and I decided it was good also.  Also had a Spumoni (ice cream) which was excellent.  With the sit-down sandwich / pasta restaurant next door, I could have eaten here for a week and been happy.  Very nice stop, very busy.  Suits, city workers, firemen, families just people everywhere.

Also a Man-Vs Food episode from there:

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to having New Park again.  Will have to hit it up on the way to the Rockaways to see what the hipsters are up to at the beach. :D

I def need to hit up New Park, so let me know if you want any company. I go out to the beach nearby quite a bit! ;)

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
Frank, I didn't not enjoy Totonno's but I hope you can appreciate the fact that I have had it quite a few times (and Kelly and Paulie have as well) and it was not the pizza that I fell for (this past time). If you had a near perfect memory of their pie and then you got what we got I would think you would feel the same. It used to be very good -- Friday it was merely good, IMO.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #332 on: March 15, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »
Never got a chance to put up the few pics  I got from this great trip it was a whirlwind Friday pizza day then platform then on to expo finall back and will start by posting here. Flashbacks of a great day of comradere and pizza too!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
L&B Yumm I know I have more because the camera made it thru New Park which also beat out best in my opinion I am still pizzaed out from the expo then off to Brooklynn coal fired today to top it off.
John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:49:55 PM by JConk007 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #334 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
Been out exploring in West Texas (made a major pizza discovery on the trip - more to follow later) this week. Sorry for being slow to get these posted.

Totonno's didn't do much for me. Bland and bready. It didn't totally suck like Lombardi's on my last visit, but it was decidedly unremarkable. The coal oven must have been running cooler than my home oven. That being said, meeting everyone certainly overshadowed the pizza. I'd go back and give it a second chance.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #335 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »
Nathan's was fun and a GREAT dog!

I saw Grandpa Chacha across the street on our way out.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #336 on: March 16, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
L&B was good for me to visit. I hadn't had a slice like that before. It was not something I would bake or eat every week, but I did enjoy it and I would go back for sure.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:30 PM »
I really enjoyed New Park well done pies and all. I would never have guessed I'd see someone throw handfuls of salt into their oven (and you will not see it at The Garage), however I liked the salt on the bottom of the pie. You can see the little white specs on the upskirt shot.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #338 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »
Roberta's, like the last time I ate there, really didn't do much for me. It's a neat place and probably worth a visit (get them to show you around - it is a LOT bigger than it appears), but that's about it. I did learn that I don't like capers on pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
Barboncino was also just OK. The pies reminded me a lot of Paulie's Gee's...
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan