Author Topic: Search Engine Doesn't Work  (Read 1939 times)

Offline FLJohnson

Search Engine Doesn't Work
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »
I can't get the search engine to find posts that I know exist. I'm searching for "MM#7" in the American pizza section. This is related to the Mellow Mushroom clone thread, and I know there are several posts that include reference to the MM#7 version of the clone. The search engine returns no hits.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Search Engine Doesn't Work
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
Try the Google search at the very bottom of the home page. It gets at least 5 hits on "MM#7". There are known problems with the forum's search function. Pete-zza knows more about this.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
I can't get the search engine to find posts that I know exist. I'm searching for "MM#7" in the American pizza section. This is related to the Mellow Mushroom clone thread, and I know there are several posts that include reference to the MM#7 version of the clone. The search engine returns no hits.

FLJohnson.

In addition to Bills post. I have some problems with forum searches, but not many.  Since I use the #7 MM formulation, maybe I can help you to find what you are looking for if you tell me what you want to know.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
Steve, the Administrator and owner of the forum, knows about this problem. In due course, he plans to replace the forum software. I have tested the search feature for that software and it works better but its database is not populated with all of the forum's posts for search purposes.

For some reason, the search function has a problem with some symbols and abbreviations (like FDA) and other brief entries and it won't always find keywords with an apostrophe s. For example, it might not find Giordano's but it will find Giordano.

For now, I suggest that members use the Google search feature. I usually use the Advance search feature first and when it does not find what I am looking for I go to the Google search feature.

Peter

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
I am aware of the problem... I plan to upgrade the forum software sometime this year which will resolve the issue. Thanks for your patience.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
I noticed when I search on two or three words, I cannot get the search to return results of only all three words. Like with an AND or + operator. Same result using the advanced search function with "match all words" selected. Am I doing something wrong here?

pizzapan