Author Topic: Small portable WFO's  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Kermit

Small portable WFO's
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »
I'm looking to buy a small portable WFO, but there doesn't seem to be that many outthere - atleast that I can find.

I know about the Le Pitchoun http://www.le-pitchoun.com/ and the beehive from Forno Bravo. But are there others?

It needs to be something relatively small, that I can move around to parties and such.

Offline Jet_deck

Re: Small portable WFO's
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »
I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't know what style you want to cook...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12340.0.html
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
Kermit, That is quite the little French oven. I've seen a gas fired one quite similar but smaller. Thanks for the link.
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
It's kind of a frankenweber that you can easily refuel. I'm guessing it will be challenging to do Neo pies in it. My French is a little rusty, but it looks like they are saying not to take it over 500F which makes me wonder what is the point?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
One might as well just make the pizza in a frying pan- because that's about as much top heat as this will give you with the dome that far from pizza and the heat source underneath the hearth.

And good luck if it rains. Hot terracotta plus water?  Not a good combination.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
Craig and Scott, Total agreement with you both. The concept is sound but the way it was executed is not optimum. I'm willing bet if the hearth was heated to 750F the bottoms would be black. I would certainly recommend our friend look elsewhere for a WFO.
Don

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
www.fornoclassico.com  nice little oven!
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
The Forno Classico is porbably a tad too heavy. Le Pitchoun is only around 50 kgs.

I'm thinking I might get a masoner to build me one instead. Would there be any disadvantage in letting the dome and floor be seperated, so that it would be easier to transport?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:05 AM »
In my search I came across Alfa Pizza ovens - http://www.alfapizza.it/categories/Residential-Ovens/Mobile-Ovens/

They look pretty, have a good weight(sub 100 kgs). Anybody know anything about them, have experience with them, or can see whether or not they might lack top heat?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't know what style you want to cook...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12340.0.html
Why wouldn't you recommend it? I want to be able to make neapolitan styled pizzas, or as close as I might come to it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:43 AM »
Trying to help with some smaller wfo that could cook a neapolitan pizza. I am not sure what you are looking for If its something truly  portable? If  you want to put in your truck on the weekend for a tailgate  then just get a Little Black Egg. If portable as in you can take it with when you move you there are many available. Wieght = thermal mass = Heat retention, thats what helps cook the pizzas or more than 1 or 2 per session I am Sure you have looked on ebay right ? those are portable WFO's ? fire under ...  but nothing I would ever consider purchasing
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
Why wouldn't you recommend it? I want to be able to make neapolitan styled pizzas, or as close as I might come to it.

I didn't want anyone to think that I had knowledge that it (the oven) produced a superior product.  I am unimpressed by their videos.  If I were selling them, I would have much better (and more recent) video of the oven in operation.

I'm sure that with a learning curve the oven could produce a good product.  I just don't see that clearly from their site:   http://www.forni-a-legna.com/forni-a-legna-english/firewoodovens-index.htm

or their videos :  http://www.forni-a-legna.com/forni-a-legna-video.htm

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
Kermit,
The oven you seek is the "holy grail" for many people.  I've seen many try, and fail to build them, and have not seen a commercial product that comes close.  The problem is the space the fire takes up.  To give you an idea I demo'd my 30" internal oven this past summer during the construction of my 42" oven.  In my opinion at 30" internal with one 12" pie even though I had room for the fire and the pizza, the pizza was too close to the fire and led to an uneven bake.  Many ovens try to mitigate this by placing the fire below the cooking hearth.  This leads to uneven heat and will not get you anywhere near the results you are looking for. The only chance I see for an oven this small to work with solid fuel would be with a fire under the floor and forced air to bring the flame up over the top.  Even then it would take a lot of trial and error to get the heat balances with the right mix of air and heat deflectors to stop the bottom from over heating.
-Jeff

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:54 AM »
I didn't want anyone to think that I had knowledge that it (the oven) produced a superior product.  I am unimpressed by their videos.  If I were selling them, I would have much better (and more recent) video of the oven in operation.

I'm sure that with a learning curve the oven could produce a good product.  I just don't see that clearly from their site:   http://www.forni-a-legna.com/forni-a-legna-english/firewoodovens-index.htm

or their videos :  http://www.forni-a-legna.com/forni-a-legna-video.htm

Thanks for the reply. I agree that there doesn't seem to be sufficient "evidence" of the results(heat, baking time etc). I did however find an article where somebody actually had used the oven. It can be found here - http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/24885/forno-legna-prima-pizzata The results look pretty good, for an oven that costs under 1000 and weighs 50 kgs. Even found a Youtube clip of him making a pizza - . I wonder what will happen if he doesn't put the door on after he puts the pizza in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:02:05 AM by Kermit »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 04:17:35 AM »
Nice find Kermie.  That persons pizza looks great!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »
Kermit,
The oven you seek is the "holy grail" for many people.  I've seen many try, and fail to build them, and have not seen a commercial product that comes close.  The problem is the space the fire takes up.  To give you an idea I demo'd my 30" internal oven this past summer during the construction of my 42" oven.  In my opinion at 30" internal with one 12" pie even though I had room for the fire and the pizza, the pizza was too close to the fire and led to an uneven bake.  Many ovens try to mitigate this by placing the fire below the cooking hearth.  This leads to uneven heat and will not get you anywhere near the results you are looking for. The only chance I see for an oven this small to work with solid fuel would be with a fire under the floor and forced air to bring the flame up over the top.  Even then it would take a lot of trial and error to get the heat balances with the right mix of air and heat deflectors to stop the bottom from over heating.
Yes, after a couple of days searching it seems that this may be the holy grail, and something that is almost impossible to make. That's why I think I need to compromise on some things. The day I get a house with a big yard, I'll definately look into getting a big WFO with all the benefits that come from one. But for now, I think I'll have to make some small sacrifices. For people interested, the Alfapizza ovens cost around 1250 and up. 1250 is for the 2Pizze oven.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
Kermit,

That oven looks promising.  I agree with Chau, that guy is making some very nice looking pies in his. Do you plan to do multiple pizzas or pizza parties?  That may be it's one shortfall.  When people have attempted building ovens like this with no thermal mass in the dome they have reported issues with multiple pies due to the lack of stored heat.
-Jeff

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
 the forno bravo primevera 60 and 70 are available on casters now. they look really nice .they also have a new lighter version of the 70 that may fit your needs.i have a 70 and really enjoy the pizza that i can bake in it.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »
Kermit,

That oven looks promising.  I agree with Chau, that guy is making some very nice looking pies in his. Do you plan to do multiple pizzas or pizza parties?  That may be it's one shortfall.  When people have attempted building ovens like this with no thermal mass in the dome they have reported issues with multiple pies due to the lack of stored heat.
I asked the guy some questions:
"Hi Joe

I hope it's ok that I write to you about your Forni a legna oven. I'm in the market for a wood fired oven to make my pizzas in - I'll even see if I can make some neapolitan pies. I've been searching the market, and came across the Forni a legna Pizza party oven, which you have yourself. It seems like a pretty good oven, and since I want to move it around often(I live in an apartment), the weight is spot on.

I do have some questions however, that I hope you can answer, or at least give the best answer you can.

1. What happens if you don't put the door back on when baking pizzas? Does the oven lose heat too quick or doesn't it really matter?
2. How big are your pizzas when you put them in?
What weaknesses have you experienced using this oven?

Thanks a million

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

If you are looking for a small, ligth weight oven this kind of oven is a good choice.

I don't know if is convenient for you to by this oven considering the shipping cost out of Italy.

Here my answers:

1. The heat lose is not so much, but for a neapolitan dough (fast bake) I got best result putting the door on (not closed but leaving an inch to let the flame breath), then after 20-30 sec, rotate 2 times for even browning. Even more I do not use the flame separator they give.

2. Standard neapolitan size, about 28cm.

3. For sure it has weaknesses, but the trade off is positive, with a such small oven it's more than I expected.

Give a look around, maybe you'll find a similar oven seller in you area."

I will be doing smaller pizza parties, of maybe 10 people, so it shouldn't be that bad  :)

the forno bravo primevera 60 and 70 are available on casters now. they look really nice .they also have a new lighter version of the 70 that may fit your needs.i have a 70 and really enjoy the pizza that i can bake in it.

Thanks, I'll look into it  :)

Offline napoletana4germany

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:24 AM »
hi there,

I don't know if sth. like the TeFerro kit is known around here.
it is a prefab WFO that can be taken apart after each use becauce there's no need to plaster it.
for that reason i doubt it's easy to achieve and keep 900F for PN.

http://www.teferro.de

external dimensions: diameter ca. 92 cm, height ca. 35 cm
inner dimensions: diameter ca. 75 cm
door: width ca. 35 cm, height ca. 22 cm
weight: 85 kg (8 components; excl. chimney)
costs ca. 700

best, Todi

pizzapan