Author Topic: Hello from MN  (Read 288 times)

Offline mkacher

Hello from MN
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »
My name is Mike and found this site on a circuitous route.  We have a great local pizza mini-chain in the Twin Cities.  Everwhere I go I try to find a Neapolitan style pizza that is as good as they make.  I had a tour guide in Naples last summer give me his best shot stopping at a local place.  In my opinion, it wasn't as good.  I've followed Pizza Quest and Forno Bravo for awhile and then came across The Fire Within.  Looking for further information on that company led me to a discussion of it on this forum.  My wife and I are recently retired and am curious about pursuing the trailer idea further.  I would love to hear from anyone with any insight in this area.  In the mean time I'll continue sifting through the threads here looking for ideas.  Thanks.

Offline Tman1

Re: Hello from MN
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:41 AM »
Welcome here.... lots of good info on making pizza on this site.  For really deep and complete info, spend the time required to read 'philosophy of Neopolitan Pizza'. As for mobile pizza, there are a few in the area already. I'm learning it's a lot more work than what you see/read for the most part. Might still be viable, but the prep work and clean up never seem to be mentioned or given as much attention.

I'm from MN as well and am aware of the pizza chain you're speaking of... HOWEVER I don't think they are the best in the city.  I still need to try Mozza Mia (although according to my daughter I really don't), but Pizzeria Lola has a nice ambience, and okay pizza.. still neither of those is tops in my book. You need to head to a (very) small single location place in NE Minneapolis for that! I will say that my wife and daughter had pizza the other day at the chain place and said they had the best tasting pizza ever.. so they might have changed their formula... only time will tell.

Offline mkacher

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.  After I thought about it I realized that I could be referring to a couple of local pizza chains in the area.  To be more specific, Punch at the original Highland Park location is my favorite place.  I've tried their other locations and wasn't as happy.  I wasn't all that impressed with Lola either and haven't been to Mozza.  I'll try and figure out what NE location you are referring to and check them out.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
I'm learning it's a lot more work than what you see/read for the most part. Might still be viable, but the prep work and clean up never seem to be mentioned or given as much attention.

Welcome mkacher.  Also to add to Tman1's thoughts, some Health Department's will require that the dough be made in a commercial kitchen (commissary) and that the cook/prep area be fully covered and surrounded by a net.  Check your local codes, they can vary by county also.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline mkacher

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
Thanks for tips.  I was aware of the commercial kitchen rule.  I have a friend who owns a restaurant that said we could work something out if I actually went forward.  I have never heard of the net requirement though.  I'll keep researching.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Element Pizza....   ::)

I've never been to the Highland location.

pizzapan