Author Topic: New Mobile Wood Oven Problems  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Barnstable

Re: New Mobile Wood Oven Problems
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
Bill/Shuboyje,

Sorry they are late but here are some pics of last Sundays bake. I hope you can get a better idea of the oven. I`d be grateful if you could look at it and give me an opinion. I`m trying to understand if I will be banging my head against a brick wall and it`s better to back it to the builder no matter what the problems ie, legal action, time, no oven or if it`s my inexperience with fires or if I can make some remedies myself.

Bill, 12 years...mmm...only 11 yrs and 51 weeks to reach you. Seriously, I am always happy if it`s my shortcomings/inexperience that needs attention. Within my control. Thanks for the tip re switching coals. nice to have an emergency strategy but obviously I don`t want this to be standard. I also think I might use too big logs later in the bake, thanks.

Bill/Shuboyje,

This is the crux. Chimney and insulation. Now you can see the oven is the chimney unworkable. Also, is there a DIY solution. Can I reduce the chimney girth? Would it help? The oven floor fire bricks are not set and also a touch uneven which is snagging my peel (i know they are bad but wanted to get the feel/size of oven before commiting). Is there a form of self levelling insulation that I could reset the bricks on of minimal depth that could kill two birds with one stone? 

Kind regards,

Barnstable

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »
Barnstable,

I have 0 experience with mobile WFO's. Your photos are pretty small, but if the chimney is within the cooking chamber, which it looks like it might be, then I see that as a serious, possible fatal, problem. The whole issue of air flow needs to be just right so that you can support a nice,hot, non-smoldering fire, but that as much of the energy is trapped within the cooking chamber heating the decks, wall, and dome. Heat escaping through the flue or opening needs to be minimized. This balance is one of the most important aspects of a good oven design. If you try to decrease draw out the chimney, you could choke off the fire. Give it a try.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
If you are looking to experiment with the flue I would not restrict it, I would instead put an extension on into the oven chamber that terminates at 63% of the dome height.  Not ideal but should keep the heat in the oven rather then up the flue
-Jeff

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:06 AM »
Shuboyje,

Thanks for the flue suggestion. I think I could muster up just such an extension even if only temperary so that I can then test the heat performance again. Would you suggest it comes down to 63% of the dome height in a vertical line of angled towards the oven entrance if possible. The other issue is the temperature of the oven underside when baking. Mine was 220 F, if this is too high can I ask in your opinion what a normal/acceptable temperature would be?. Any thoughts on the suggestion of lifting the bricks and adding a thin but effective additional layer of insulation and if there is a material that would be suitable?.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Barnstable

Offline Tman1

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
If you can lift the bricks, you could put a piece of 1" insulation (rated for high heat) which would help the bricks maintain heat and keep the underside cooler while giving up minimal space.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
 I have cooked a lot in a similar barrel  oven that my friends sells. I have complained about the 4" chimney pipe which is IN the oven. 2 sizes big and small both use the same 4" chimney pipe. The cooking surface is 39x39" and 90% of the smoke comes right out the front!
I am able to get a decent pizza from the oven but this thing eats wood like a wild animal eating it's new found prey! In other words alot! I will look for threads and post here for your review think it's under ovens?
Just search  under equipment "big guy barrel oven"there are 3 threads there with similar oven
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
For the first try I think I would just go straight down.  It not going to be an ideal situation for draw as is, so I would try and avoid bends to start.  I also didn't mention, make sure the bottom of the extension is above the top of the door.  If it's lower most of the smoke is gonna roll out the front.  What size is the flue?  Pictures can be misleading but if it is single wall it looks pretty decent size compared to the rest of the oven.

As for the heat under the oven, my ovens are generally less then 5F above ambient outdoor temperature on the bottom.  Even if you don't get to that point 220F is way to high.  It almost makes me think there is some sort of thermal bridging going on due to poor design on top of a lack of insulation.  You would probably kill two birds with one stone(I assume the dome is pretty tall) by pulling up the floor and adding some cal sil board then re-installing the floor, but that seems like a lot of work for an oven you just bought.

I think I would personally ask the manufacturer where you can see someone using on of their ovens to produce neapolitan pizza.  Can they demo it for you?  Put the burden of proof on them, because their website seems to show only one of these mobile ovens and the only pictures of pizza are highly unacceptable.  Makes me wonder if you have the only one they have produced yet they are insist their unproven oven works.
Shuboyje,

Thanks for the flue suggestion. I think I could muster up just such an extension even if only temperary so that I can then test the heat performance again. Would you suggest it comes down to 63% of the dome height in a vertical line of angled towards the oven entrance if possible. The other issue is the temperature of the oven underside when baking. Mine was 220 F, if this is too high can I ask in your opinion what a normal/acceptable temperature would be?. Any thoughts on the suggestion of lifting the bricks and adding a thin but effective additional layer of insulation and if there is a material that would be suitable?.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Barnstable
-Jeff

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:34 AM »
Dear All,

Thanks for your advice and support. I have found some other issues with the oven and unfortunately due to the attitude of the builder the situation seems to be heading in the direction of a legal dispute. I will post again when the matter has been concluded with an update and the details in the hope it may help someone else in the future.

Kind Regards

Barnstable

buceriasdon

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your situation. Too bad when things like this happen. Yes, keep us informed please.
Don
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:07:11 AM by buceriasdon »