Author Topic: That yummy greasy NY pizza  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Doctor_G

• I Love Pizza!
That yummy greasy NY pizza
« on: August 27, 2005, 01:06:01 PM »
New member here. I lived 13 yrs on Long Island, and now reside in Connecticut...so I know a good deal about what a NY style pizza should look and taste like. I've been frequenting this site for the last 4 months or so, and have been soaking in all the good recipes, and ideas this forum offers. I've made my fair-share of home-made pizza through the years, but since I found this place...my pizza making skills have reached new levels...THANKS.

On to the title of my thread...

In all my travels in the pizza world of NY, I've found that the majority of the Mom n Pop shops...make decent pies. Of course like anything else in life, some are better than others. The one thing I've been searching for within this site and some others I've found on the net, are postings reffering to the amount of olive oil that should be added to a NY Style Pizza. So far I havn't found any refferences on this subject. To make this a little clearer, what I'm trying to get at...what is the correct amount of oil to use in the sauce (topping portion) of the pizza? Most of the sauce recipes out there call for olive oil in the sauce...this we all know. I always add two and sometimes 3 tbs of olive oil to my sauce. But even when I add the higher amount of oil to the sauce...the final product doesn't have that greasy, but yummy taste you find out there at a good Mom N Pop shop in NYC. You know...when you fold that delectible slice in half and the grease starts to drip everywhere. Do the pizza shop guys add more oil to their sauce, or do they add some oil straight from the bottle after they sauce their pie, before topping it with cheese or maybe on top of the cheese? I don't want to get carried away by using too much oil...but I do like my pizza on the greasy...but still tasty side. Any help out there would be appreciated.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Re: That yummy greasy NY pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »
Are you using part-skim or whole milk mozz?

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Doctor_G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 01:38:55 PM »
Whole milk.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 02:01:20 PM »
Doctor_G,

Welcome to the forum. In light of your question, I hope that "Doctor_G" doesn't mean that you are a cardiologist :).

Most of the time, the oiliness or greasiness you refer to comes from the cheese, particularly whole-milk mozzarella cheese, and from meats, such as pepperoni (especially the pepperoni slices that cup and hold the expressed fats) and sausage. The fats from these items are animal fats and have a different taste and mouthfeel than olive or vegetable oils. In some parts of the country, even those that make NY style street pizza, the greasiness is frowned upon. As a result, the pizza operators won't use good whole-milk mozzarella cheese like a Grande or a first-rate pepperoni like the Ezzo pepperoni. They might mix whole-milk mozzarella cheese with an equal amount of low-fat, low-moisture mozzarella cheese (or provolone cheese) just to make the pizza more appealing to those who don't care for the full-fat versions.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 02:02:55 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Barbiere

• 7 days without pizza makes one weak
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 08:51:51 PM »
I too am a new member.  I grew-up in the North end of Boston but spent most of my summers in the Bronx.  Back then you’d think you were in Italy.  No one even bothered with speaking English.  And the pizza…fantastic!  Just as you described, the pizza had that yummy greasy salty taste.

I moved to California 25 years ago and almost cried when I had my first “California Pizza” experience.  Ever since then, I’ve been on a one-man quest to replicate that good old NY pizza.  My quest has gotten more earnest as the years have gone by.  By reading the postings on this site and practicing almost constantly I’ve come closer but never seemed to reach that elusive goal…until just a few days ago.

Last weekend we had an Italian dinner party for a bunch of friends.  After the party we had a variety of left over food so I decided to use it up by making pizza.  As usual, I used Tom Lehmann’s dough recipe with my own modifications (I use more water).  I used some homemade sauce (Imported San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper) and a really good whole milk mozzarella.  Here comes the secrete ingredient…we had some imported hard provolone.  I got out the cheese grater and grated a generous amount on top of the mozzarella.  I sprinkled the top with a little dry oregano and tossed it in the oven that had been preheating for about two hours at 550 degrees.

The results were unbelievable!  The crust had that perfect char.  The provolone and mozzarella combination gave it that oily salty taste characteristic of NY mom and pop pizzerias.  My wife and I couldn’t stop eating.  We made another one real quick and topped it with pepperoni.  It was even better!  We sat there laughing at how good the pizza was and how much we ate.  My wife gauges NY pizza authenticity by her “heart burn” rating.  This one nailed it.
Christopher

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 04:25:37 AM »
It is really hard to find, but if you can get Park brand Provolone it is the best I have found.  A little goes a long way.  I have been told by two foodservice professionals that it is the "Grande" of provolones.  Interesting because both of these people also sold Grande provolone. They liked this better, so I didn't bother comparing, but I did compare the Park to Auriccio, Bel Gioioso, plus a bunch of non labled variety's at Italian specialty stores. The park aged (hard) provolone was the clear winner.

Offline foster444

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 07:45:58 AM »
I agree with the brilliant Pete-zza.

I have watched New York pizza makers use various amounts of olive oil as a "top dressing" in their pizzas.  Most use little or none.  It's the cheese which is yielding the yellowish oil which many New Yorkers allow to drip from their slices before digging in.

And Pete, your seriousness and devotion to this sacred subject is appreciated.

Bob

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 12:17:39 PM »
Bob,

I don't know what to say, but "thank you" for your kind remarks. But I am not brilliant, just anal. My sole objective is to help others make better pizzas, and hope that I don't do any harm in the process. And I am always delighted when I read a report like the one posted earlier in this thread by Barbiere, who has been able to take a Lehmann dough recipe and transform it into something that gives him and his wife great pleasure (even at the expense of occasional heartburn  :)). Through the magic of the internet and this forum, the Lehmann dough recipes, as well as many others on this forum, are making their way all around the world. To me, that's phenomenal.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:21:58 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline foster444

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 12:26:56 PM »
Well Peter,

I never thought I'd say this, but I guess in the world of cooking, or more specifically, pizza making, anal is brilliant.

Bob