Author Topic: Fried and Baked Pizzas  (Read 1298 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Fried and Baked Pizzas
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
I wanted to try an experiment for a fried pizza and also make a submission to this months challenge of “Not Round”.  I decided to take a small dough ball and cut it in half and I just made a circle and pinched the dough together.  Then the doughs were stretched a little and cut with a scissors. 

The first fried pizza I made I fried a little longer on both sides and used a stainless steel spoon to depress the dough in the middle while frying until the dough set.  After the frying the dough it was drained on paper towels then dressed on my cutter pan and baked on the pizza stone until the sauce became hot and the cheese melted.  The second pizza turned out a little better because I didn’t fry it as long.  My daughter ate the first fried pizza and thought it tasted great.  I ate the second fried pizza.

The dressings used on the fried pizzas were Les’s sweet sauce, two blends of mozzarella, a little white cheddar, fried sausage, cut Capicolla, homemade ricotta (that I learned how to make from Craig’s thread), and fresh thyme and stick oregano that Larry sent me.

I really liked the fried and baked pizza.

I guess I didn’t hold my camera steady when taking the crumb shot, so that picture is a little blurry.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Fried and Baked Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »
Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
Nice work Norma they both look great!! At straits they also use a device to hold the dough under the oil . They don't do the star but they dock it with their fingers foccacia like dimples prior to frying.
 I would Love to try yours.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:54 PM »
Nice work Norma they both look great!! At straits they also use a device to hold the dough under the oil . They don't do the star but they dock it with their fingers foccacia like dimples prior to frying.
 I would Love to try yours.
John

John,

Thanks!  :) I did try fried dough pizzas before, but never topped them and put them back into to oven.  In my opinion it is better to fry some and them put them into the oven for the dressing to get finished.  I used to have something that looks like this skimmer at my funnel cake stand http://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-round-mesh-skimmer/4071312T.html  I think something like that would have worked better than my slotted stainless steel spoon.  Did you see what kind of device they used?  I think you could easily make these kind of pies if you had a fryer.  You already have the WFO’s.  ;D Interesting that they dock the dough with their fingers focaccia style before putting the dough in the fryer.

I forgot to mention to thank you on this thread for sending Larry’s stick oregano to me.  :) I really like Larry’s stick oregano.

Norma

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »
Norma, I love it! The possibilities are endless. The little fingers could be stuffed with all sorts of things. My first thought was to make one of your fruit pizzas and use a donut filler to pump fruit fillings of different types into the fingers. If you wanted to be a little more traditional, you could fill the fingers with Nutella and dust the whole thing with powdered sugar...

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »
Norma, I love it! The possibilities are endless. The little fingers could be stuffed with all sorts of things. My first thought was to make one of your fruit pizzas and use a donut filler to pump fruit fillings of different types into the fingers. If you wanted to be a little more traditional, you could fill the fingers with Nutella and dust the whole thing with powdered sugar...

CL

Craig,

Thanks for saying you love it!  :) Your ideas of ways to go about filling the little fingers are great. I didn’t think of those possibilities.  I was surprised that I just had to pinch the dough together after it was cut and it held in the fry.  I didn’t let the dough sit at all after the pinches. I guess after the filling the little fingers like you mentioned there wouldn’t be any filling dripping out in the fry.  I would like to see what kind of results you would get trying something like this since you have a WFO.  ;D

Norma

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
I'd fill after the fry.

I tried a fried margherita at Forcella. It was good, but I don't see messed ever making a fried pizza. I didn't like it enough to justify the extra fat and calories.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
I'd fill after the fry.

I tried a fried margherita at Forcella. It was good, but I don't see messed ever making a fried pizza. I didn't like it enough to justify the extra fat and calories.

CL

Craig,

I think your way would be best to fill after the fry.  I really wouldn’t want to eat fried pizza all the time, but for a change it was good.  I remember you talking about that fried Margherita at Forcella. I still would like to try the fried pizza at the new pizza business in NY even if it means extra fat and calories.   :-D

Norma

pizzapan