Author Topic: New York Pizza  (Read 227 times)

Offline gretchen907

New York Pizza
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
 :) Hi I'm Gretch and live in Anchorage. I have lived all over the world and had pizza in lots of places. Anchorage is pizza dead. I would kill for a slice from NYC and it looks like I will have to do it myself. So any suggestions for this women living in the dead zone of pizza would be greatly appreciated. I work in a gourmet kitchen store and have lots of access to dough making and baking tools.

scott123

Re: New York Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
Hello, Gretchen and welcome to the forum  :)

While a gourmet kitchen store will have some good things for pizza, such as a pizza cutter, it will most likely lack the most important tool for making pizza- a good stone. Kitchen stores also tend to have pretty ridiculous peels as well- pretty, but not really functional (too small, not thin enough, not a gradual enough taper).

The type of stone you go with will be contingent on your oven.  What type of oven do you have- gas or electric? If it's gas, does it have a separate compartment for the broiler?  What temperature does the dial go to?

Offline gretchen907

Re: New York Pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Hay Scott thanks. My store is one of the best and competitive with many in the lower 48. We have tuns of pizza stones to choose from. I have an awful electric oven. I have a hearth kit, a pizza stone and an Emile Henry(not my favorite)glazed stone. And I have various peels thanks to the bennies from my store. So I believe in that area, I am well covered unless you have other suggestions. I am very open to them.

My biggest challenge, living in Anchorage, is the ingredients. I have King Arther Bread flour but nothing better and as you can imagine shipping up here is astronomical. So getting a high protein flour is not possible. What do you think if I add "vital wheat gluten"?

Also what kind of cheese(even brand) do you recommend? My husband and I make our own mozzarella. But it is not what I would put on a NYC pizza.

Sorry just new to all this and I can be a bit of a protectionist. I look forward to your response.

pizzapan