Author Topic: flour blends  (Read 823 times)

Offline Chet

flour blends
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »

I read somewhere that if cake flour is added to all purpose it lowers the protein content to equal Caputo flour, any truth to this.

Chet

Offline scott123

Re: flour blends
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
No, there is no truth to that- at least, not equal to Caputo 'Pizzeria' flour, which is usually higher protein than all purpose.  I seem to recall Roberto telling us that Caputo mills as many as 60 different flours.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
Scott is correct. There was a fad a few years back on the internet to blend 3 parts AP flour with 1 part cake flour in an attempt to match the fineness of the 00 grind without taking into account that Caputo Rosso is somewhere around 11.5-12.5% protein content due to using hard winter wheat in it's milling.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
Chet,

I know what you are talking about. Before 00 flours became available at the retail level in the U.S., it was common to try to simulate 00 flour by combining all-purpose and bread flours with cake flour or pastry flour. However, doing that does not take the flour blends and turn them into 00 flour. The grains for the blends are not the same as used to mill 00 flour, and the milling methods are different. Also, the quality of the protein and gluten can be different.

You can see an example of what I am talking about at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1278.msg11466/topicseen.html#msg11466 and at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1104.msg9835/topicseen.html#msg9835. I have written quite extensively on this subject in the past, so if you are interested, you can do a forum search to find other posts and recipes that try to simulate 00 flour. But, these days, with 00 flour being much more widely available than when I wrote on the subject, almost no one uses the other combinations of flours anymore.

Peter

Offline Chet

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »

An in depth answer as usual from the group. from the replies, I'll pass on experiment with that combination of blends.

thanks
         Chet