Author Topic: checking out Anthony Mangieiri 's place in SF this week  (Read 1380 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
checking out Anthony Mangieiri 's place in SF this week
« on: July 28, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
I am heading back to CA for a week and will be stopping at Anthony's shop.  Being a fellow Jersey boy that has done life my own way, Anthony gives me hope for the youth of today.  Hopefully I will get a chance to chat with him some.  I kind of did what he is doing with pizza in the music scene and special education field with my bakery/pizzeria.  I had to create my own music universe to play and played full time around the world for 20 odd years and also had to build my pizzeria/bakery on my own.  Both scenes would have nothing  to do with how I wanted to do things so I said screw them all and did it all on my own.  Being a 1 man show allows one so much creativity but it comes with a high price.  In my case it has been working 24/7 to make it happen because if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done.  Also it has been lonesome.  I live on the dream and follow it blindly.  Luckily I have a wife of 34 years that has hung with my insanity of moving around the world with no idea of why except I felt a calling.  We moved with just the clothes on our backs and my vision.  We haven't known anyone wherever we moved and it has often been overwhelming - lots of extreme ups and downs but what the heck we only have death waiting on us so why not live!  It is rare to meet people as driven as myself.  Maybe most people can't deal with those big highs and low lows.  I don't care for them myself but it is part of the package to get to the goal.  I don't say this with any ego, just that it gets lonesome often times, but the drive to get to the goal outwieghs everything else.  Most people I meet let fear run them more than dreams.  they over think, stop short, and abandon, for security and worlding things.  I live for the soul note.  Anyway I will try to bring my camera (if I can find it) and take some pictures.   Walter

my music story:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

my bakery/pizzeria:

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:51:02 PM by waltertore »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: checking out Anthony Mangieiri 's place in SF this week
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
That would be really special if you got t connect with Anthony.  Please do take lots of pictures and most importantly have fun.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
That would be really special if you got t connect with Anthony.  Please do take lots of pictures and most importantly have fun.

Thanks! I know from when I was doing well in music and with my current project that the timing will have to be right.  The 1 man operation doesn't allow much of a window for chit chat with strangers unless the timing is right because often one is consumed with the moment in front of them.  My goal is to just enjoy his energy and pies.   it may just be a hello and thank you given honestly from my heart and if it goes anywhere past that I would really be thankful.    I am going to give him some info on my program and some cds.  It is imprtant that people blindly following their dreams without worldly concerns connect with others doing the same.  I have been on this road over 50 years and I have learned the importance of knowing others are out there doing things with similar passion. It gives hope and confirmation for following the path the universe has laid out for  us.  Walter   

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
I went with a friend last night to see Anthony.  We spent quite a bit of time talking.  It wasn't much about pizza but more about the journey of the 1 man show.  We both have that in common and grew up in similar situations in NJ.  All I can say about him is he is pure class.   Honest, clear, and focused.   I shared with him a brief summary of what I do and left him with some of my music cds, and a menu/info sheet on The Smiling With Hope Bakery which I run.  His efficency and  approach is something of great achievement.   He and his 2 waitpeople have a perfect groove going.  He never had more than 3 orders up on his bench and his staff kept that flow the entire time we were there.   There was no big wait for your pie, and the place had every table full the entire time.   His pies were great but I am not versed enough in his style to make any earth shaking comments.   His oven management was something to see and the nice mellow pace he kept showed his mastery of the entire concept of pizza making.  I watched him make pies for a good while and when I was leaving he gave me a t shirt and some bumper stickers.  I would recommend his place to anyone. I am typing this on my friends computer that doesn't have a mouse so I am keeping this short and will be back home sunday.   walter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Walter did you have the pizza and what did you think of it?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
Jackie:  We had a marhgarita and Bianca.  They were fabulous.  Like I said earlier I have no background with wfo pies.  This was my second time only in a wfo pizzeria.  I found the crust to be puffy and soft with great flavor that reminded me of good nan bread.  The sauce was very sparse and flavorful.  The buffalo mozz was great.  The charring on the dough was even.  I wish I could elaborate more technically but all I can say is it was great.   Totally different than the deck oven pies we make in our place.  Kind of like comparing apples to oranges.   Anthony is an inspiration.  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
I am back in Ohio.  Sorry but I didn't take any pictures.  I find taking pictures kills the soul note vibe.  I carry this over from my music days when people would come backstage get a picture and leave.  It rarely led to any soulful conversations.  But like I said earlier, Anthony is a class act and I am proud of him.  He is in a trippy neighborhood.  It is an industrial area and the Goodwill center of SF.  Lots of stuff starting to emerge within all that like his shop.  I did spend an hour in a really cool guitar shop that featured vintage guitars and amps.  I got to talk music with the owner.  Walter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 12:17:23 PM »
Glad you had a good time Walter.   Thank you for the description of Anthony's pizza. 

Chau

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »
That is a perfect description of a well made Neapolitan pizza.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
That is a perfect description of a well made Neapolitan pizza.

Thanks!  I would also add that the overall taste was very subtle compared to my NY stlye pies.  I was suprised at how little sauce he used.  I would guess approx. a few tablespoons per pie.  His dough was very easy to open up and shape.   It took very few motions to finished size.   I didn't time the bakes but they were not in the oven very long.  Like I said earlier, the fluidness of the production to customer flow impressed me big time.  I never have been one of those frantic pizza makers that so often one sees in a busy shop.  I have one speed pretty much and I saw Anthony had the same.  This is the speed I grew up learning as a boy from the older pizza makers in NJ.  He makes approx 140 dough balls per day.  With that amount he is able to keep a nice easy pace in relation to the oven and putting it on the table.  To me that is an artist!  Walter
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:24:39 PM by waltertore »