Author Topic: gas fired brick oven  (Read 19685 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
Re: gas fired brick oven
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
FWIW, I like some of the pizza coming out of the scott described "no mans land."

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
We use General Mills superlative flour.  I have thrown some of our NY dough in the hotter oven but between the malted flour, and oil in the dough, the bottoms cook really fast.  We would have to screen every pizza after a minute or so.  I will play with it though. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
John, run the oven a bit lower- maybe 50 deg. lower than what you're running now, and, when the bottom is done, dome the top. The dome adds a little more labor, but it will also help to showcase the beautiful interior of the Wave.

Or try dropping the oil from the NY recipe for your Neo-NY or maybe try a 50/50 superlative/00 blend.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2013, 05:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
My next attempt will be with the 50/50 blend.  I am planning on doing plenty of testing before I start selling these pizzas to the public.  Nothing is set in stone at this point.
Actually the only thing I'm sure of so far is the tomatoes.  Since I already don't have a wood burning oven I wanted to go with DOP San Marzanos to try to keep some things more on the Neo side.  I tested: Strianese, Rega Rega, Italbrand, and Ciao.  For me Ciao was by far the best.  We already use the Grande fior di latte ovoline for our Caprese salad and I think its one of the better fresh mozzarella's out there.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
So here are some of pizzas I made with the 50/50 superlative 00 blend.  Blending the flour helped tremendously with tenderness and moisture.  I'm not even going to make another batch of 100% caputo for this oven.  The pics I'm posting are 4 minute bake time.  Later in the day I cranked the oven up a little and I was actually happier with the pizzas that cooked in 3 minutes.  I feel like things are going in the right direction but these pizzas are definitely not blowing me away yet.  I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into.