Author Topic: gas fired brick oven  (Read 25113 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: gas fired brick oven
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »
That video didn't seem like the guy had a great handle on pizza making yet, plus those bake times were a bit long, the first pizza in was just over 1:50 to cook.

Also I've been to mozza and it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

But as for your oven choice, do what YOU want. It's your establishment and your pizza.

Best of luck.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »
I actually just found out that there's a "Wood fired oven consultant" who's located just a few miles away.  It looks like he mainly deals with Stefano Ferrara ovens but I was told he will give me a non-baised opinion on what works best for my restaurant.  He even has a wherehouse nearby with a few ovens I can check out.  He's gone this week for the pizza convention but hopefully we can meet soon.  Maybe I could do a wood/gas combo I'm just not sure how that works.  If adding the gas option to a Stefano Ferrara oven made it much easier to deal with the firing of the oven and maintainig the heat then that might work out.  Whatever I do I'm not going to rush this at all.  I know it seemed like I was gonna buy the Verace oven based on my posts but I really just think it could be a viable option for me consedring its specifically designed to work with gas only.  I'm keeping my options open for now but still not ready to go for wood only because of my concerns about my staffs ability to handle it.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »
Gianni,  if this were facebook,  this is where a bunch of people hit the "like"  button!  Don't rush it,  and don't underestimate your staff.  The fire is the easy part,  handling the pizza on a peel,  and turning them is the real challenge.  -Marc

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
Quick update on my search for a gas fired brick oven.
I met with Michael Fairholme to discuss my project a couple of weeks ago.  I got all excited about the idea of doing a Stefano Ferrara gas oven.  It is not UL and NSF approved with gas yet but I was told it should happen soon.  The problem is, when Michael came out to my restaurant, he said that the spot I had in mind just won't work so without doing some pretty major renovations it's not looking good.  I do have one more question for everyone though.  I like what Pizzeria Delfina in SF does with their modded Marsal MB deck oven.  I could very easily just swap out one of my Blodgett decks for a Marsal with zero additional cost aside from the oven.  Does anyone have any idea how they did it.  I read on this site that they just switched out the thermostat for a higher temp one but I don't really know.  Realistically I should just wait until the time is right and maybe i'll have an opportunity to do a small place with a real wfo and do it right.  I just can't let this thing go.
Thanks for Humoring me.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 07:29:12 AM »
Gianni:
read through this link from Peter Reinhart's blog - see the letter from Raphael, talking about how he modded his Blodgett deck oven.  Sounds easy enough.   You won't get 800+ temps, more like 650-700, but thats better than 500.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/peters-blog/44-peters-blog/350-peters-blog-jan-24th-2012.html

regards
Brian

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
Thanks Brian.
 I have two double deck blodgett's and the fourth oven is almost never on.  I think i'm gonna give it shot.  My plan is to replace the original deck with firebrick and then also line the top and back of the oven with firebrick as well.  I'm not sure how to go about finding a higher temp thermostat to fit the blodgett but i'm hoping I can figure it out.  I'll post pics of the process as I go.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
just call your local oven repair guy.    Thats how I found out about the thermostat mod in the first place.   I think it took the guy 15 minutes to install.   good luck!   

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »
Thanks
I'm calling him right now.  As far as putting firebrick in the oven should I remove the ultra rokite from the blodgett and replace it with a fire brick deck.   I am definitely planning on lining the rest of the oven with fire brick I'm just nut sure what to do about the deck.  thanks for any ideas or opinions.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
If you were shooting for +750, I would say replace it, but if you're going to be restricted to 650-750, then keep it and give it a try.  Firebrick is a lot less conductive than most deck materials.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
Makes sense. I'll try that first.  I just like the idea of a thicker deck. I'm a total novice in this area but the blodgett decks are 1.5" thick and I thought if I put in a 2" thick deck it might retain heat better.  I definitely have issues with the floor heat during rush hours. 

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:49 PM »
Factoring in the higher heat supply and the added insulation firebrick around your hearth will give you, I really don't think you're going to see as much of a drop in temp as you have with your previous setup.  If anything, I'm concerned you will get too much bottom char compared to the top being done.

scott123

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »
John, these thermostat mods are contingent, to an extent, on the BTUs the oven is pumping out.

How many BTUs are your ovens?

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
85,000 BTU's

scott123

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »
John, is that 85K per deck?

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
Sorry yes it is per deck

scott123

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
The Marsal MB is 120K per deck, so you might be at a bit of disadvantage, depending on the size of the decks. What are your internal deck dimensions?

I don't think this mod is terribly costly, so it definitely shouldn't hurt.

This is a bit of a hassle, but, if I had this oven, I'd (carefully) take out one of the stones, weigh it to get a density and compare that mass to 2" firebrick.  As Pizzaneer pointed out, you'll take a conductivity hit with the firebrick, but... if 2" gives you considerably more thermal mass, it might be worth it.

I would go ahead with the thermostat mod, install the firebrick ceiling, crank the oven to the max and see how hot you can get the floor and how the top and bottom heat are matching up.  Once you have that information, then I think we'll be in a better position to help you choose a better hearth, if necessary.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
Scott,  The thermostats and instillation were close to $350 if I remember correctly.  Its definitely good advice to wait and see what happens, but  At the pizzeria I worked with where the high temp thermostats were installed the bottoms of the pies were definitely baking way faster than the top when the oven was set to max.  This happened even with the flu's cranked wide open (allowing maximum heat to the tops of the pies). While these ovens didn't have brick lined tops, I still think your probably going to want something on the floor that doesn't easliy transfer the heat to the pies.    

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
Thank you guys for all of your input.  I would have no frame of reference if it weren't for this website so I really appreciate it. 
The oven that I want to modify is actually the smaller blodgett 1048 which is more comparable to the Marsal MB 42 which has 95,000 BTU's.  The deck dimensions of the Blodgett are 36"x47" and the Marsal's deck is 36"x42".  I'm Going to follow your guidance and wait and see before I do anything with the hearth. 

scott123

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
85K as compared to 95K.  That's not too bad. I think you should be in pretty good shape.

These thermostat mods can't produce Neapolitan pies, but, with the right flour, they can do some amazing NY style pizzas.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:04:14 PM by scott123 »

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »
One last thing
I talked to my oven repair guy and he suggested we just re-calibrate the thermostat because blodgette doesn't make one that goes above 650. I asked if maybe there was a universal thermostat that would fit but he wasn't sure.  I'm a little worried it will be hard to control the heat if we go that way though.