Author Topic: gas fired brick oven  (Read 19745 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: gas fired brick oven
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
Mechanically speaking, most oven thermostats are simple devices.  Recalibrating one depends on just a few things:  an accurate temp reader (IR gun or digital thermometer with wire sensor) and a screwdriver. 

Process goes something like this:

1. take a benchmark read: set it as high as it will go, and read the actual temp in the oven.  You may be surprised at the amount of variance in your oven.  Most thermostats cycle in a 50-degree range: ie, if its set to 500, it may go up to 525, cut off, then come back on when it drops to 475.  Its all about averages.
2.  tweak thermostat.  There are either 2 screws behind the dial, or a small screw inside the D-post if you have a D knob.  Those screws regulate how far the triggering element travels.  If you've ever taken apart a house thermostat and seen the mercury level, its a little like that.  What you want to do is increase its range upward by a certain increment, say 1/6th or 1/7th of the dial.  Then do the temp test again.  Take your time and be patient with it.  Repeat as needed to get to where you want.

You may get substantially different temp vs time results after installing the firebrick insulation.  After doing that, your oven will take longer to heat up, and longer to cool down, so the thermostat will cycle less once it gets to temp.   But the basic temp control will be unchanged.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
One last thing
I talked to my oven repair guy and he suggested we just re-calibrate the thermostat because blodgette doesn't make one that goes above 650. I asked if maybe there was a universal thermostat that would fit but he wasn't sure.  I'm a little worried it will be hard to control the heat if we go that way though.

there are thermostats out there that can be added to most ovens that go higher than 650 (maybe not made by blodgett?) ....The one I saw installed went to 750 and was on a blodgett if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:19:44 AM by scott r »

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
So today I re-calibrated the thermostat.  It took some time but I eventually got up to 735 F on the IR gun.  I'm hoping after I line the top and back with the fire brick it'll get a little hotter.  The only dough I had was for my regular NY style pizza.  It cooked up fine but was a little dry and cracker like.  Next week i'll try a more NPish style dough.  I made one recently with 75% 00 flour, 25% AP flour, 60% hydration level.  I let it rise at room temp for about 10 hours then made dough balls and refrigerated it overnight. we'll see what happens.  I'll post some pics wednesday afternoon.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
Thats good news on the 735F temp!  Now you have a lot more possibilities.

Theres a couple different ways you could go to really exploit the higher heat in your oven.

1. NY style dough..  if its crispy and crackery (when the top looks done), you may need to tweak the dough recipe.  Theres a ton of posts by Jackie Tran (aka Chau) on here about refining NY style for higher temps.  Basically, it comes down to hydration and proofing.

2. NP-NY hybrid..  this kind of pie is amazing.  Takes some work to get the dough right, but look out when its right!  Impossible to stop eating!

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »
Totally agree about the NY NP style being amazing

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
My oven repair guy came in today to check out what I did with the thermostat.  I wasn't at the restaurant today but he called me and said he was able to get it 876 f.  I couldn't beliveve it.  I still haven't had a chance to make pizzas in yet but im dying to see what happens.  I have a feeling the bottom will cook way too fast without the brick lined ceiling but we'll see soon enough.  Im also wondering if their are any safety issues with running this oven so hot.  I don't plan on going over 800 but it still concerns me a little. 

Offline pizzaneer

!!
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:23 AM »
wow!  I think you are definitely going to need a fb deck.  I didn't know a Blodgett could hit that.

You are on your way to NP pizzas!  Just do the fb insulation, deck and dough, and please post pics!  

As long as your vent can take it, you should be ok.  Have the repair guy look at the vent, replace it with SS if need be.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:16:39 AM by pizzaneer »

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
My oven repair guy came in today to check out what I did with the thermostat.  I wasn't at the restaurant today but he called me and said he was able to get it 876 f.  I couldn't beliveve it.  I still haven't had a chance to make pizzas in yet but im dying to see what happens.  I have a feeling the bottom will cook way too fast without the brick lined ceiling but we'll see soon enough.  Im also wondering if their are any safety issues with running this oven so hot.  I don't plan on going over 800 but it still concerns me a little. 

Sounds awesome! can't wait to see what comes out

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
Thanks
I'll look into the vents.  I'm going to cook some pizzas on saturday with the oven as is and I'll post some pics.  I have a good friend who's a contractor and he's gonna send his mason out next week to help me with the FB.  Do you think the FB deck is definitely necessary?  I think the trickiest part for me is going to be getting the top heat needed to cook the top before the bottom burns.  

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head.  A very valid concern.

Using FB for the deck should reduce the chances of premature bottom charring at high temps.  The reason for that is because it is less conductive, meaning that heat will flow out of it slowly compared to most deck material.  The pizza is still getting high heat - but it won't be getting it so fast that the bottom burns before the top cooks. 

You also can temper the heat transfer, for instance for a heavily topped pie, by using a screen.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
Thanks again for your comments
Last question regarding the firebrick on the deck
2" or 1.5".  I'm assuming 1.5" is good for everything but the deck.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
I would go with 2".  If you're kicking a lot of pies through the oven, 2" will hold onto the heat better.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
I was so excited to make some NP pizza's today.  My dough is ready, I went to the store today and bought all kinds of salami's, cheese's, fresh produce, I had my San Marzano's ready.  I was set.  Just got to the restaurant and tried to fire the oven.... Nothing.  The pilot is lit but when I turn the oven nothing happens. No gas.  It's Saturday and I can't get in touch with my repair man.  I'm really depressed right now.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »
Scratch that last post.
One of my pizza makers said sometimes if you bang around a little on the pipes near the pilot it will start.  It's on and heating up.  2 hours or so and I'll finally be cooking

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
Just making sure my pictures are going to work

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
Pizza's were far from perfect but it was encouraging for sure. 

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
More Pics

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »
Last pics.
The quickest cook I had was 1:45 but most pizza's took between 2 and 2:30.  I really think after I add the fire brick I'm going to be cranking out some pretty great pies.  With a .5" thicker hearth and an inch and a half of fb on the ceiling I'll get a more even bake on top and bottom.  Now the question is how do I market these NP style pizza's on my menu?  Our customers have known us for a long time and without the addition of a new oven I'm wondering how to introduce these pizza's and how to get across that this is a very different product than our NY style pizza.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Those look really good. I know with practice they will keep getting better.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2012, 11:39:10 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it.
I think i get too concerned with the pizza's being round and symmetrical and as a result i loose  the nice cornicione.  I actually like a little more rustic look so I'll keep that in mind next time.

pizzapan