Author Topic: Ceramic Insulation Sources for WFO  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Grimaldi

Ceramic Insulation Sources for WFO
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:14 PM »
I found this company that sells Ceramic Insulation for a really good price - $23.64 a box/roll. (1" Ceramic Fiber Blanket. Density: 8lb/ft3 or 128kg/m3. Size: 25 ft x 2 ft x 1 in. or 7200 x 610 x 25mm. Working Temperature: 1000 Celsius or 1832 Fahrenheit. Maximum Temperature: 1260 Celsius or 2300 Fahrenheit.)  

Anybody bought this product from them? Seems almost too good to be true?

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/p/2926/hf11-ceramic-fiber-blanket-1-8lbft3-or-128kgm3f6cf5a

Offline Polo

Re: Ceramic Insulation Sources for WFO
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »
I've not used this product, but the description and photos look correct. Can you get a hold of Mcgill's and ask them who the manufacturer is? I could not tell looking at the link you provided.
The price does seem very reasonable. I work in an investment casting foundry, and Mcgill's prices are slightly cheaper than what we pay. We use about 10,000 square feet of the stuff per week.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
This came uP at fornobravo recently and people have purchased from them with no issues and are happy with the product.  There was however concern over the rating with the better business association, so as always buyer beware.
-Jeff

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
Placed an order for 5 boxes - shipping was $46.89 (235 lbs). The rep told me on the phone that if the order is placed before 2pm their time, it's same day shipping. Total is $165.09. This beats anything I've found by a mile. I'll follow up after I receive it.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
Polo - that's a lot of ceramic insulation you guys go through, I find it hard to believe that a retailer can sell the same product for less than an industrial user is paying - might not be an apples for apples comparison? The McGills is 1800 f max. working temp, I've bought Fiberfrax that had much higher working temps but was much more expensive.

I went ahead and bought it without finding out who makes it - 1800 f is plenty for my purposes.     

Shuboyje - I checked out the FB thread and that gave me more confidence to place the order - thanks for the heads up.

Offline Polo

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Polo - that's a lot of ceramic insulation you guys go through, I find it hard to believe that a retailer can sell the same product for less than an industrial user is paying - might not be an apples for apples comparison? The McGills is 1800 f max. working temp, I've bought Fiberfrax that had much higher working temps but was much more expensive.

I'm pretty sure that the 1800 f is the working temperature. I believe the max temp is somewhere closer to 2300 f. We typically run in the 1700 f to 2200 f range, but some of it is subjected to temperatures in excess of 2900 f. At that temp it is pretty much a crispy critter after the process is complete.
One reason for the price disparity may be the tolerances we require. We have had sub-par material come in and had to send it back. I'm sure that stuff would be fine to use for insulating a pizza oven. We also only have one approved source that I am aware of.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
Just received a call from McGills, the deal was too good to be true - not the insulation price but the shipping. The online ordering system calculated the shipping at $46.89, the phone call was to inform me the actual shipping would be $147.30. Oh,well - still beats any other deal I could find. Shipping is more than the material.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »
Received the Ceramic Insulation today, looks like the right stuff. They shipped it promptly once the shipping charges were adjusted (that day). I'm satisfied and will try them again. 

pizzapan