Author Topic: [Calzone] How to make my dough more chewy?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline MrH

[Calzone] How to make my dough more chewy?
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
Decided to try the calzones today and they turned out OK for first go, the only real issue was the dough was a little harder than expected, I was going for more of a chew, but it actually got softer as it rested. I will be making more tomorrow with some tweaks, like less sauce, plus I will add some pork sausage to change up the taste a little. The crust was a little bland so I was thinking about rubbing it with olive oil and sprinkling some Italian mixed herbs over it, do you think that would work?

If anyone knows why my dough was more hard than chewy please let me know.

PS: I only let it rise once for 20 minutes, I'm starting to think that wasn't enough. Is it true the longer you leave it the more chewy it gets?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:46:28 PM by MrH »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: [Calzone] How to make my dough more chewy?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
I think it would help if you posted your recipe and flour type. Also the process of how you made the dough.

Offline MrH

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
I think it would help if you posted your recipe and flour type. Also the process of how you made the dough.

This is the recipe I used:

Pinch of salt
6 g dried yeast
140 ml warm water
200 g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
Extra virgin olive oil

To prepare the dough, place the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the water with 1 tablespoon of oil. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together to create a wet dough.

Turn out the dough onto a clean well-floured surface and work it with your hands for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, brush the top with oil and cover with cling film. Leave at room temperature to rest for 25 minutes.

Offline MrH

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
I tried again tonight but I got the same result, the top is just too hard. I let it rise for an hour this time but that didn't seem to help.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Here's a recipe to try and perhaps build on. I've used this recipe for stromboli and and it was great. It also can be used for calzone.
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pizza-dough.aspx
Marty

Offline MrH

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Here's a recipe to try and perhaps build on. I've used this recipe for stromboli and and it was great. It also can be used for calzone.
Marty

Does it bake more chewy? Because that's what I want.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
A couple of notes about calzones for what it's worth. First, calzones do not have sauce in them, if they do they are stromboli's. Calzone dough should not be wet, the moisture makes too many air bubbles in the cooked dough. You should cut vent slits in the top of your dough, so steam can escape during cooking. I use bread flour, water, yeast, salt and about 2T olive oil in a recipe using 4 cups of flour. Many like to lightly brush the formed calzones with a little olive oil and finish with a light sprinkle of kosher salt.

Offline MrH

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »
It seems I'm using the right ingredients, I just want to know what is causing the top of my calzone to be hard instead of chewy, there must be a reason but I'm very much a beginner so I'm hoping someone can tell me.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
The vent slits will let steam escape so your calzones don't blow up too big. If the dough isn't vented, it forms a thin bubble during cooking which quickly dries out. By venting, the whole calzone stays more compact and cooks more evenly. I don't see any vent seams in the top of your calzones

Offline MrH

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
The vent slits will let steam escape so your calzones don't blow up too big. If the dough isn't vented, it forms a thin bubble during cooking which quickly dries out. By venting, the whole calzone stays more compact and cooks more evenly. I don't see any vent seams in the top of your calzones

Yeah, I didn't make any vent slits, so could this be the reason the top is always so hard? It's like a crust on a really crusty loaf of bread. Either way I will try make some vent slits next time. Thanks.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »
Good luck, I love calzones but haven't made any lately, perhaps this weekend I'll give it a go.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 01:44:46 AM »
Mr H,

I used to make hard calzone too until I finally found a good recipe to use along with proper baking techniques.  Try using bread flour for a more chewy crust and do a cold ferment in the fridge for at least 24hrs.  For cook time try 475 for about 10-12 mins.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline MrH

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 08:21:54 AM »
Mr H,

I used to make hard calzone too until I finally found a good recipe to use along with proper baking techniques.  Try using bread flour for a more chewy crust and do a cold ferment in the fridge for at least 24hrs.  For cook time try 475 for about 10-12 mins.

I have been using strong bread flour. Could you link your recipe?

Offline MrH

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
Marty

I'm going to try this over the weekend, once I take it out of the fridge can I roll it into a pizza straight away or do I need to let it rest again out of the fridge?

Offline MrH

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
I just wanted to let you all know I had great success tonight, I used the dough recipe suggested and cut vent slits and my calzone came out soft and chewy. I also changed the sauce and cheese and they were both delicious so overall it went really well. I'm going to try and make an actual pizza tomorrow with the same dough.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
Glad you had some success. Here's a link to a recipe I have been using for calzones that works great.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7719.0.html

Best,
Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 03:06:52 AM »
Jeff, your calzones look great, and recipe is very similar to one I use. That's the way to serve calzones, sauce on the side, not in the calzone.

MrH, glad to hear you had success, let us know how the pizzas turn out.

Offline petef

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
It seems I'm using the right ingredients, I just want to know what is causing the top of my calzone to be hard instead of chewy, there must be a reason but I'm very much a beginner so I'm hoping someone can tell me.

Try brushing the dough with an egg wash before baking it. Apply a very liberal coat.

---pete---