Author Topic: Peel Poll  (Read 2023 times)

Offline TimEggers

• Homemade pizza and home roasted coffee! YUM!
    • Pan Roasting Coffee
Peel Poll
« on: August 28, 2005, 03:06:51 PM »
What do you use for a peel?  What is your preference and why?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Peel Poll
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 03:29:01 PM »
I use both a wooden peel and a metal peel, mainly for convenience. I usually dress the pizza on the wooden peel, using a bit of flour as a release agent, and remove the baked pizza from the oven using a metal peel, which is much thinner than the wooden peel and has a sharp edge at the tip that can easily slide under the pizza (whether on a screen or a pizza stone or tiles) to facilitate its removal from the oven. It is possible to use just a metal peel for both applications, but you have to be sure you put enough flour (or cornmeal, or semolina, or whatever) on the peel so that the unbaked dough doesn't stick to the peel. In my experience, this usually means lining up all the ingredients in advance and working fast when dressing the pizza.

A small metal peel can also be used for both applications for small, lightly-dressed pizzas like individual-sized Neapolitan style pizzas. They are often dressed on a well-floured marble or granite surface, placed onto the metal peel (by sliding the pizza onto the peel or sliding the peel under the pizza) and deposited into the oven. The same metal peel is used for removal of the finished pizza from the oven. Several videos linked on this site show these techniques.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 03:33:23 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
Re: Peel Poll
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »
I went to a local NY style place today to look at an oven and he used both as well.  Oddly (to me), the metal one was probably a 12" peel, on an 18" pizza.  But again, it was only for removing the pie from the oven.  The wooden one was 18 or 20" and was used for building the pizza on.  It was certainly fun to watch because I've never built a pizza on a peel before.  I've always used a screen or a pan to hold the dough.