Author Topic: L&B Hydrid  (Read 5253 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
L&B Hydrid
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
I have been playing around with a highly hydrated dough using starter, and the topping sensibilities of L&B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn. I am still dialing in TF and bake temp. This one was made with a combination of room temp and cold fermentation, a delicate layer of shredded smoked mozz, a layer of sharp provolone, and slightly reduced San Marzanos. Topped with high quality percorino. Baked in the middle rack with another steel pan just above to radiate heat down.

John

Offline Matthew

Re: L&B Hydrid
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:10:58 PM »
Nice!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
John,

Your L&B Hybrid sure looks tasty!  ;D  Nice job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
John

Very nice pie, looks tasty . I think you can cram way more taste into a large pan pizza then you can on delicate neapolitan doughs. I love the fact that you proofed your dough in a rectangular pan. I find that makes the dough easier to work with when trying to spread it out in a similar shape.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
Wow, that is a great looking Sicilian John. Well done!.
Jim
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Very nice!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
John

Very nice pie, looks tasty . I think you can cram way more taste into a large pan pizza then you can on delicate neapolitan doughs. I love the fact that you proofed your dough in a rectangular pan. I find that makes the dough easier to work with when trying to spread it out in a similar shape.

Thanks All!

Dave - At this high a hydration, the rectangular shaped pans are a must for me. Any more manipulation than needed can ruin the dough.

John

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
John, How was the provolone? Did the smoked mootz flavor come through? Is the hybrid an upgrade from the "original"? Looking to "improve" it?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:01 AM »
John, How was the provolone? Did the smoked mootz flavor come through? Is the hybrid an upgrade from the "original"? Looking to "improve" it?

John - The cheese substitution was definitely a plus for me. The provolone is basically mozzarella anyway, but I was sure to get a high quality one with some sharpness. And yes, the smoked mozz came through very well.

The reason I am playing with this is that I love the idea of the L&B toppings sequence (protecting the cheese for longer bakes, the avalanche of sauce), but I am not a fan of the crumb. The high level of mixing involved and use of commercial yeast does not interest me. I love levains. So this is my attempt at making the style my own. I still need to work out a way to strengthen the dough for the heavy toppings at such a high hydration. My next attempt will be to develop the acids more during fermentation, which will help strengthen the dough - but too much and it gets sour.

John

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
John -, the smoked mozz came through very well.

I used one of the recipes in the other thread yesterday and used some mozz I smoked in early January...... the smoked flavor came through in mine as well.

I wish I had taken some pictures.  I have never had pizza from L&B but my crumb looked alot like the pics in the slice writeup. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
I used one of the recipes in the other thread yesterday and used some mozz I smoked in early January...

Very nice - I have to try smoking my own.

John

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »
John, I wonder if some of the "good things" the oil adds might be accomplished with a little potato flour or the addition of cooked, riced, russet potato.

I like the idea of taking the good from the L&B style (mostly the sauce on top of the cheese) and making a better crust. This is something I did some time ago as well. I was trying to make the ultimate Sicilian. Getting the right moistness and tenderness of crumb were the biggest challenges. I got sidetracked on other stuff and never finished my quest. Hopefully I get make another few attempts and contribute here! :)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
John, I wonder if some of the "good things" the oil adds might be accomplished with a little potato flour or the addition of cooked, riced, russet potato.

I like the idea of taking the good from the L&B style (mostly the sauce on top of the cheese) and making a better crust. This is something I did some time ago as well. I was trying to make the ultimate Sicilian. Getting the right moistness and tenderness of crumb were the biggest challenges. I got sidetracked on other stuff and never finished my quest. Hopefully I get make another few attempts and contribute here! :)

The addition of potato either as flour or whole might be very interesting. I have never used that ingredient in dough before, so please do contribute your progress. I, too, am after the perfect "sicilian".

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »
The problem I had in my previous attempt was that the center did not rise as much as the edges - this is a highly hydrated dough. I added a mixer session (intermediate mix) into the workflow and only did 2 stretch/folds during the bulk. I also extended the room temperature fermentation by 2 hours to build up more acidity and strength. The result was a very open crumb that held up the heavy toppings evenly, with great oven spring.

John

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
What's the current bake time, temp, and position for this method?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »

The last one I did was around 18 minutes at 500 - with another pan just above it in the middle rack.

John

Edit: corrected bake time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:30:27 PM by dellavecchia »

parallei

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:30 PM »

My L&B's at 72% HR, 3% Oil and TF = 0.16 take about 18 min. at 475.   First 10 min on the stone, bottom.  Last 8 min on the middle rack.

The last one I did was around 8 minutes at 500 - with another pan just above it in the middle rack.

I suspect John might be using a higher HR.

John....HR, Oil% and TF?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »
Paul - I left out a 1 in my previous post. 18 minutes. TF is .175 and hydration is above 80%.

John

parallei

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
Thanks John. My book arrived today from Italy.  Apparently, if you don't spring for the extra 4 euro, it is shipped via tuna boat or something......

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Wow that looks delicious. Since I get comfortable working with highly hydrated doughs It's been a while since I make dough below 73% hydration.

Paul. I'm still waiting my book  ??? it supposed to arrive in April 17.