Author Topic: Noob needing help deciding on a pan....  (Read 563 times)

Offline Denise_A

Noob needing help deciding on a pan....
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
Hi everyone!

So last night I made my first 2 home made pizzas from scratch. I have NEVER made home-made dough before, but a friend convinced me it was easy, so I tried it using Emeril's food processor dough recipe. The pizzas came out much better than I expected, but I used 2 baking sheets and the crust was brown on the edges and doughy and slighlty undercooked in the middle. I put the pie back in for an additional 3 mins and it came out ok, but I really want to improve on the taste and would like to purchase a stone or pan that would result in a more even crust.
I went online to look at pizza stones and then read about cast iron pans, and pans with holes in them, and iron sheets, and different kinds of stones. I am SO confused now!

I just want something simple that will make my pies come out crispy on the bottom and softer in the middle (not so crispy that the entire crust is like a cracker)....
I have a convection oven and can bake up to 550 degrees, I *think*...definitely 500 'cause that's what I baked them at last night...although I didn't use convection, lol.

Thanks!
Denise

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Noob needing help deciding on a pan....
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
I would say the best place to start is with a pizza stone, and here is a link to one which is generally considered one of the best   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E1FDA/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Denise_A

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
I would say the best place to start is with a pizza stone, and here is a link to one which is generally considered one of the best   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E1FDA/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Thank you for the suggestion! I was reading about that one online earlier today...before I got really coonfused by the product overload!

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
For the pan side of the equation, I have been pleased with the PSTK coated pan I got from pizzatools.com.  I also have authentic Little Caesar's square and round pans I got from a K-Mart that was closing.  When I originally scored these, they seemed almost miraculous.  I had been trying for years to get proper browning and these did it on the first try.  The new PSTK pan did as well.

I still don't understand why.

pizzapan