Author Topic: Anyone used GM's Sperry Organic flour??  (Read 1507 times)

Offline AnnieK

Anyone used GM's Sperry Organic flour??
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Hi All-

Just wondering if anyone has used or has thoughts on GM's Sperry Organic high gluten flour?

I currently use All Trumps non-bromated, 14% gluten content, for a NY style pie. After some first frustrating attempts at the non-bromate thing (thanks Scott123!) have gotten our technique pretty down, but would love to slowly start experimenting with some organic flours.

Looks like the Sperry is 13% gluten content.

Just curious if anyone is using this for their dough.

Thanks!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Anyone used GM's Sperry Organic flour??
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Annie,  a couple years ago I did try the sperry line and was very pleased with it.  The only issue that you may have depending on temperature is that it is not malted,  and will not brown easily at low temps.  I was suing it with great results at wood fired oven temps.  I was using the bread,  not the high gluten and it was plenty strong for pizza.  If I recall I did not see that product listed last time i looked for it. You may also look into la milinaise sifted bread flour,  and the flour that flatbread uses,  chaimplaign valley milling.  I believe the later is malted.   Lastly,  king aurthur organics are malted,  just depends on what temps you are using.  -Marc

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »
Hi, Annie. It's good to see you :)

In addition to Marc's very informative post, I would say that if Sperry ends up being a lot cheaper/readily available than the other organic options (especially King Arthur), you might want to think about adding malt flour to it yourself. It might take a little trial and error, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

13% protein is actually a really nice protein level for NY style. It can get pretty subjective, of course, but I prefer 13% flours to the 14% ones (such as All Trumps).

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
I male diastatic malt powder myself, every good homebrewer has the ingredient.  I take 2-row malt and crush it in my beer grain-mill.  I then take a coarse strainer and strain out the grits.   I then take the grits and pulverize them in a Bullet blender.  Instant Diastatic malt powder, for pennies.

Ron

Offline AnnieK

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Hmmm...for some reason my email is not sending me replies to posts anymore!!! didn't mean to post a question and then go m.i.a.....

I've been doing some experimenting with some organic flours, and, I'll be honest here, have not been terribly happy with the results. I have not actually tried the Sperry yet, but did try a Rocky Mtn Milling (now owned by Bay State) 'high gluten' flour with a protein content of 13%.
Compared to the AT, it gave me a denser, less pliable dough, and just never got the great rise and 'chew' that the AT does. Nor did I get the browning.

That being said, I used the organic flour in the exact same way I use the AT, and did not add any additives.

If any of you have had success with organics, have you found you have had to alter your recipes? and if so, what did you guys do? added malt?

Thanks!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
I've been using Central Milling's Artisan Bakers Craft flour (ABC, which is only 11.5%) with good results. They also sell a 00 type, which they told me will do very well in a home oven (strangely it is listed as 11.2%). The last bake, with a version of JerryMac's non-Lehmann NY style (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5851.msg49940.html#msg49940), I used 75% ABC and 25% Central Milling Whole Wheat (12.5%), which is also available at Whole Foods (as their 365 Organic Whole Wheat), with great results.

BTW, I only use Central Milling (www.centralmilling.com) flour in everything that I bake (bread or pizza). It's a little difficult to get if you're not in No. CA (they are in Petaluma), but they will ship 20 lbs in a USPS fixed rate box ($16).

I visited their distribution company (Keith Giusto Bakery Supply) when I was in SF last month, because people on one of the bread baking sites raved about their flour and Nicky Giusto, an amazing young man with an enormous amount of knowledge, a passion for baking and flour, and a great business model. Needless to say, my luggage weighed 25 lbs more coming back home  ;)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »
I have been working with sperry organic bread flour the past two weeks and im sold.     Its really easy to work with and mixes up extra smooth like full strength/all trumps or an italian 00.  The pizza and bread I have been making with it has been turning out especially good for a non bromated flour (which I prefer only at lower to medium temps).  I think it may have replaced three flours in my pantry (I was blending non bromated all trumps with 00 or using harvest king).    Its no problem to get more browning out of it by adding malt.   Some sugar/honey works too if you dont mind a touch of sweetness in the flavor. At high temps you don't need to add anything and the browning is perfect.    Sperry seems to have more flavor than harvest king, which for me was always the HK weakness.   WFO guys are going to love this flour!  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:29:00 AM by scott r »