Author Topic: Pepe's Pizza (New Haven, CT)  (Read 24496 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Re: Pepe's Pizza (New Haven, CT)
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 09:30:52 AM »
Stopped in yesterday for a small white clam pie.  Very flat crust (no rise in the rim), chewy and tasty crust.  Clams were very fresh, lots of garlic, rosemary and romano (?) cheese.  I assume also olive oil, but I couldn't really taste it.

Also salt. Lots and lots of salt.  Way too much salt.

Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 01:16:52 PM »
Whenever I go to New Haven, I always have to eat 2 pies: a regular tomato and cheese pie from Pepe's and Sally's white clam pie.

I've always found Pepe's clam pie to be far too salty--but their standard pizzas are wonderful

I guess when it comes down to it though, I like Sally's better.

Unfortunately, I haven't been back there for quite some time, and Sally has since passed a way (quite a few years come to think of it), so who knows if it is as good as when he was still making the pies...

I've got to get back there...or, maybe I'll just have to make myself a clam pie this weekend  :P

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »
I prefer Sally's too. I'll post a review and pics from my visit last week soon.
- Lido

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »
drooling on the keyboard at the thought of a Sally's clam pie...        :D

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 02:53:47 AM »
I am bringing back this thread because it seems Connecticut pizza isn't really represented enough here! I would have to disagree with Jeff about Sally's. I believe he is looking for a more NY style of pizza then what Pepe offers up. More char specifically. Although Sally's is good, the only time I go there is by accident (when I was in New Haven when Pepe's was closed). Abate Apizza right next to Libby's (2 doors down from Pepe's) also makes wonderful pie.
I think in the next couple of weeks I might do a pizza tasting (which will be to Cindy's chagrin I am sure) around the area. I'll get some pics. New Haven and New York styles are not the same. It's important for people to realize this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:55:57 AM by Jamie »

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
Any more updates on this thread from a recipe, ingredients standpoint...or any comments in general?  I go there often and now going to try to figure some things out.  Maybe I'll go dumpster diving!!!
Polack trying to make pizza