Author Topic: freezing pepperoni?  (Read 19043 times)

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
freezing pepperoni?
« on: May 19, 2005, 01:56:23 AM »
I was trying to avoid starting a topic for this, but I couldn't find another thread to ask in. My situation is this. I am about to place a large order with pennmac, and wanted to stock up on Ezzo pepperoni to save on shipping, but I don't know how well pepperoni freezes. I've had good luch freezing cheese, sauce and other meats, so I would assume pepperoni wouldn't be any different, but I thought I would ask.

Brian

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: freezing pepperoni?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:51:02 AM »
duckjob,

Some of us previously looked into the subject of freezing large quantities of pepperoni and how best to do it. It appeared at the time that using one of those home vacuum packaging systems (like the "Food Saver" vacuum system) would be the way to go. You may want to take a look at Replies ##26, 30, 31 and 33 (plus any related posts) at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,548.msg5665.html#msg5665. At the time of these posts, I didn't have a vacuum system, but recently picked up a discontinued Tilia model ("Food Saver" VAC 1075 model) from a local Tuesday Morning outlet for just under $80. I haven't used it yet, but that is the way I would go with large amounts of pepperoni slices.

Peter

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 07:55:58 AM »
I freeze pepperoni all the time. Just throw it in a ziplok bag and freeze. Never had any problems.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 11:10:02 AM »
Thanks for the replys. I actually plan on freezing the pepperoni in stick form. I'm thinking I'll just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and toss them in a freezer bag.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 01:54:15 PM »
I freeze pepperoni all the time. Just throw it in a ziplok bag and freeze. Never had any problems.

Same deal here.

In fact in a test, nobody could tell the difference between the pepperoni I had froze and the one I had not, and that was eating it out the bag.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 05:27:08 PM »
From my knowledge as a Home Economist, I can add two pieces of information to this thread:

1) as a cured meat, pepperoni should not be frozen longer than 4-6 weeks; it may not kill you beyond that, but much of the quality is lost; fresh, raw beef and pork can safely be frozen 8 months to a year, while lunchmeat, bacon, hot dogs, and pepperoni have a much shorter shelf-life in the freezer due to their high salt and fat content.

2) your pepperoni will certainly fare better in the freezer in the whole stick form than it will as thin slices; be sure to double wrap, i.e., wrap in foil or plastic wrap first, then put in a heavy duty zip freezer bag, excluding as much air as you can. Don't forget to label it!

pyegal

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 07:37:46 PM »
I just didn't want to have to worry about it going bad after spending a decent amount of money to have it shipped to me. That being said, I am a pepperoni fiend and I don't think it will be lasting me too long anyway :)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 08:43:04 PM »
Sometimes I'll use my vacuum sealer. But, honestly, I cannot taste the difference between "fresh" and frozen (once it's thawed).  :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 08:57:54 PM »
I guess we will find out soon, I've just never done it before. I know I have used pepperoni out of the fridge that was 2-3 weeks old with no problem.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 05:02:07 AM »
The foodservice place near me (GFS) sells all their pepperoni frozen (sliced).   ;)
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 02:19:26 AM »
i have just thrown my ezzo sticks into the freezer in whole form since theres really no bags big enough to wrap around them unless you cut it up first (and im way too lazy for that) hehe.

its been about 2 months and so far each pizza ive made has tasted great. the stuff tastes the same each time.

also if you are going to cut the pepperoni off the stick with a knife i recommend doing it right out of the freezer. as soon as the stick heats up to room temp its almost impossible to cut it thinly and evenly.

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 03:19:39 AM »
Thanks for the info snowdy. I was thinking about cutting the sticks in half and freezing them that way. I'll probably end up useing a food processor to cut the pepperoni.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 05:24:53 PM »
Frozen sliced pepperoni will begin to discolor (fade, darken, get splotchy) even if packaged properly. To me the taste and smell becomes rancid.

I have found that I can freeze sliced pepperoni, portioned in freezer bags, for a month or two before this becomes an issue.

I haven't noticed any difference between using fresh sliced or frozen sliced pepperoni, in its taste or baking performance.

I have done this with different brands, with the same results.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

piroshok

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 06:43:30 PM »
I don't freeze already cooke stuff but raw
I have been freezing capsicums, pepperonis since times immemorial never had a complain nor a loss of flavours if they are kept for a reasonable period of time but in the whole I have kept this type of vegie in the raw for up to three months.

pizzapan