Author Topic: Beginner Starter Question...  (Read 730 times)

Offline djamc

Beginner Starter Question...
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
Trying to identify what is the optimal state for a starter in terms of using it in a dough...  I'm feeding my starter every 12 hours and it's active...  Should I be using it - 1) one to 3 hours after I feed my starter when it's really active, or 2) when I wake up in the morning and my starters kind of died down a bit after 12 hours of eating, but is likely pretty hungry...

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Beginner Starter Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
A general rule of thumb to go by for assessing starter viability is the volume of the starter increases by 4 in 6-8 hours. But many things factor in, such hydration of the starter, temperature, culture activity, etc.

Once you have a viable starter, you can assess readiness after feeding by the dome shape relative to the maximum height. The dome will look different according to the hydration. But in general, when it reaches full height and starts to sag into an even level just below the max height line, it is ready to use. If it sinks down to a deep concave shape and leaves trails of starter along the edge of the container, it has gone too far. I have used starters in both states, and it does have an effect on fermentation rate.

So a better way to approach readiness is visually. Once you have that down you can gauge in hours your readiness just by consistency of the starter culture, temperature and keeping the hydration constant.

John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:12:58 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline djamc

Re: Beginner Starter Question...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
Increases 4 fold - wow!!!  I didn't realize it had to be that active before I include in dough - guess I'll continue to feed.

Thanks.

Dan

pizzapan