Author Topic: Old School Pizza Sauce - Anyone tried this???  (Read 4170 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Old School Pizza Sauce - Anyone tried this???
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
I found this on the internet and was wondering if anyone on Pizzamaking.com has tried this??? It looked very interesting to me, but i would love to hear what others think. Thank you.

Old School Pizza Sauce

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. dried basil
2 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. ground sweet paprika
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
4 T. olive oil
2 t. white vinegar

http://www.bestrecipesevar.com/old-school-pizza-sauce/

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Old School Pizza Sauce - Anyone tried this???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
Sounds more like spaghetti sauce to me.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
That is fairly similar to a pizza sauce we make here occasionally but we use real plum tomatoes and no tomato paste.  The rest of it is pretty similar with the addition in ours of a bit of red pepper flakes for a touch of spiciness.  I do not see any big divide between pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce, they are both tomato sauces with variations of spices and reduction by heat.  Pizza sauce, for me, is a bit thicker and usually without chunks tomato, being more of a puree, though I have eaten and made some that had coarser chunks of tomato in it.  Spaghetti sauce varies with preference as well.  I make a meat and tomato based sauce with at least a couple of hours of simmering involved and use it quite wantonly in lasagne too. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
Yes, in a pinch I use bottled spaghetti sauce as pizza sauce.  Hit it with a stick blender and go.  I do not like oil in pizza sauce or garlic unless it is a marinara though.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »
Tatoosh,

Thank you for the feedback. I have my dough where i want it to be, other than experimenting with different beers for taste and texture. However, i am still searching for other pizza sauce recipes. Often, I use a can of Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus, which is great pizza sauce right out of the can and hard to beat. Nearly every Pizzeria that I visit is using one of the many Stanislaus products. So when i find a recipe from scratch, it often catches my eye.

I was surprised to see that this recipe uses Paprika in the sauce.

TomN

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/family-recipes
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:30:54 AM by TomN »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »
That's pretty much the recipe that I've been using forever. I don't usually measure anything, but the spices and the ratio of sauce to paste is the same.

To me the difference between spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce is that spaghetti sauce is cooked and pizza sauce isn't (although the tomato paste is previously cooked). Spaghetti sauce starts out thin and is reduced by simmering.

My wife makes incredible spaghetti sauce. It simmers slowly for many hours. I tried it on pizza once and, while it wasn't terrible, it was way too rich and flavorful and overpowered the other flavors in the pizza. To me, the sauce is the primary flavor in pasta, but in pizza it's just one of the flavors that make up the whole flavor profile of the pizza.

For some pizzas, I just use crushed tomatoes with some spices. Mostly pies that I use fresh mozzarella on.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:15:44 AM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Prepared spaghetti sauces often have high levels of salt and, for that reason, they often appear on lists of prepared food products with the highest sodium levels (see, for example, slide #9 at http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-salt-shockers).

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
Gotta say that sauce is way to "busy" for my taste. I like to open a can of quality crushed tomatoes and just add a little salt, black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and perhaps a couple of cloves of garlic (well minced or grated) if I'm in the mood for garlic.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »
Hey there TomM

I have used that one quite often. It is an old fashioned pizza parlor style or aka Original California Thin styled sauce (Round table, Shakeys, StrawHat, Mountain Mike, Me & Ed's). Thick and heavily seasoned and almost always includes paprika. Flavor is at it's best when allowed to rest overnight for flavors to meld.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.