Author Topic: San Marzanos for 2012  (Read 4823 times)

Offline petef

Re: San Marzanos for 2012
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:15 AM »
Pete - I am not using fresh manure. I am using a composted, dehydrated product made for mass production.

John

Yes, I understood that. I was just pointing out the dangers in the rare case that the composted manure was not processed properly by the manufacturer resulting in small amouts of E.coli or other unhealthy bacteria.

I'm also thinking, just to be extra safe, on any plants sprayed with the tea manure, it would be best to cook the tomatoes as opposed to eating them raw. Then reserve a few plants by NOT spraying them and use those for raw tomato consumption.

---pete---

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »
Yes, I understood that. I was just pointing out the dangers in the rare case that the composted manure was not processed properly by the manufacturer resulting in small amouts of E.coli or other unhealthy bacteria.

I'm also thinking, just to be extra safe, on any plants sprayed with the tea manure, it would be best to cook the tomatoes as opposed to eating them raw. Then reserve a few plants by NOT spraying them and use those for raw tomato consumption.

---pete---

Pete - yes, I am only doing this for SM which will be canned. E coli is naturally occurring and the canning process is supposed to take care of it. I read that compost tea or fish tea will accomplish the same task in regards to blight, so I might switch to that. Now you have me suspicious of the product I am using.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
John and petef,

I did post at Reply 144 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10762.msg102131.html#msg102131 that in 2010 I used sterilized manure to add to my soil, before I planted my tomato plants.  It didn’t seem to harm them in adding it to the soil.  I did eat many of the tomatoes raw and so did other members of my family.  I don’t know if adding the manure to the soil is different than applying it after the plants are growing.  Last year I applied Alpaca and Donkey composted manure as I posted at Reply 169 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10535.msg137302.html#msg137302  The Alpaca and Donkey composted manure added before the tomatoes and veggies were planted didn’t seem to hurt the tomatoes when eating them raw either.

Maybe I also should rethink about using manure.

Norma

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
Norma - my wife's uncle lives in rural New Hampshire, and he has a garden that dwarfs my backyard. He has been gardening for 40 plus years and has been feeding 4 generations of family members off his produce. He puts nearly fresh horse manure in the soil, as has generations before him. No one has ever become sick with e coli. I think the problem Pete and I are discussing is applying the manure directly to fruit on the plant, which brings up some issues about actually eating the fruit.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Norma - my wife's uncle lives in rural New Hampshire, and he has a garden that dwarfs my backyard. He has been gardening for 40 plus years and has been feeding 4 generations of family members off his produce. He puts nearly fresh horse manure in the soil, as has generations before him. No one has ever become sick with e coli. I think the problem Pete and I are discussing is applying the manure directly to fruit on the plant, which brings up some issues about actually eating the fruit.

John

John,

Thanks for posting about your uncle and his garden that he applies nearly fresh manure.  I can understand now that you both are concerned about e coli when applying the manure tea (or what ever it is called) directly on the leaves or plants and then that might bring up some issues of e coli.  

I know farmers in my area do apply fresh manure in their fields all the time before planting.  That is why we have that “fresh air smell” around my area many times.   :-D

Good luck with your garden, it sure looks fantastic!  ;D I can not imagine tending to a garden that is as big as your uncles.
 :o

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
I used composted manure for years, and still do... just less of it. I always found that pig manure was best for growing tomatoes, and always had a hard time finding it. I talked to a guy who produced composted manure a couple of years ago, and he told me that the key is to get the temperature high enough in the compost to kill off the nasties (although I can't remember what he said his threshold was).

I also have to say that the Neptune's Harvest (fish/kelp) seems to be really working this year (first year I've tried it, and I was pretty skeptical).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.