Author Topic: Need some thin cracker crust advice  (Read 1266 times)

Offline DericsDad

Need some thin cracker crust advice
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
I have tried the recipe for thin cracker crust listed on this forum 3 times now and I am having trouble with it. The first time there didn't seem to be enough water tio make the dough form into a ball so I added a bit more and it worked fine. My big problem which I can't figure out is that the dough is very "elastic" like which makes it very difficult to roll thin. The more I try to roll or work with it the more it shrinks back to a smaller thicker crust.

Any suggestions or tips would be great!

Thanks

Eric

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Need some thin cracker crust advice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:11 PM »
Eric
Have you tried the recipe here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17956.0.html

Simply the easiest pizza I've ever made!!

John

Offline DericsDad

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »
I have tried the exact recipe which is on this forum, I believe it's the Dough Doctors.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:31:46 AM »
Eric

When I used high gluten flour it was like rubber. All purpose flour made rolling much easier and I much prefer it.
I'm going to post my super easy cracker recipe over at the 'cracker' forum in an effort to simplify the thin crust problems.

See you there.

Offline DericsDad

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »
Thanks! I will go check out your recipe.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »
First of all, it's a cracker crust. Cracker crust requires very stiff dough, which is very difficult to roll by hand. Unless you have a sheeter, it will always take a lot of work to roll a cracker crust skin. There's really no way out of it. (Unless you want to compromise by using a higher hydration or excessive fermentation, or other tricks. Of course, that turns it into something that's not a cracker crust).

Also, it sounds like you may be mixing the dough for too long, thus developing the gluten more than should be necessary for a cracker crust. Or you are letting the dough rise, then reshaping it. If that's what you're doing, the gluten is probably more developed than you want it, which makes it more elastic and more difficult to roll.