Author Topic: Wet Gluten Mass Tests on Caputo Rinforzato, Caputo Pizzeria, All Trumps bromated  (Read 18325 times)

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that it's pretty significant. Out of a 10oz dough ball I'm getting 27% and 33% wet gluten.  But even more important to me was how the 2 samples felt. An absolute world of difference between the two.  I'll email the pics to my home pc and post them

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Barry,

As I understand it, excessive starch damage and poor gluten quality can coexist. It has something to do with how the protein fails to develop properly as a result of the event (e.g. freezing or other weather-related event) that adversely impacted the wheat. And it appears from what you say that you can detect that quality degradation (and quantity as well) in one of the lots of flour. That would seem to make the differences in the protein/gluten quality of the two flour lots material, particularly if one of the flour lots consistently has lower gluten mass values than the other. Poor gluten quality and quantity may manifiest itself in being unable to develop the gluten properly during mixing and kneading and to adequately retain the gases of fermentation.

Peter

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks for the links Pete. It very well may be starch damage after reading up. I have noticed that the last time this happened the flour sat for 3 weeks and it was great. We order every 2 weeks and closed for a week over the 4th of July. The flour was terrible when I ordered it and fine when we came back, which leads me to think that it also may be an aging issue. Maybe shipping green flour for a little "freeway aging" to fill quotas when things get tight. A call to North Dakota Mills sent me to the voicemail of the manager in charge of my region. Left a message. No return call as of yet. Will call again today. One other time when this happened I sent the flour back to my distributor and they kept "forgetting" to send it to the miller for almost a month!  Test results came back fine.
It also seems to happen when I purchase a partial skid of flour. For example the last time I ordered I ordered 75 bags. A skid of 50 and 25 extra. The skid was fine. All from the same lot. The 25 were terrible.  Just an observation. Thanks again

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Barry,

It is hard to imagine that North Dakota Mills shipped you bagged "green" flour. Unless maturing agents (additives) are added to the flour, it can take weeks, or even longer, for the flour to naturally age. And you need air (oxygen) for the flour to age, which I don't think you would get, or get sufficiently, while the flour is in bags. It is true, however, that immature flour will yield a poorer quality gluten structure that may also be stickier, and you can end up with flatter, denser loaves. For further discussion, you might check out the blurb I found through a Google search at http://books.google.com/books?id=XqKF7PqV02cC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=effects+aging+flour+%22green+flour%22,+oxidation&source=bl&ots=hpuVjjQeyN&sig=Mib__r9rI5rng36E4rzNnHCh_K0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=maa7T9jTH4qc2QWL0NjCCQ&ved=0CF4Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false.

Peter

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
That's interesting. Thanks for the link Pete.  The flour in question is on its way to the mill directly to be tested.  I'm anxious to find out.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I did a wet gluten mass test on the Ultragrain white whole wheat flour this morning.  The Ultragrain flour is a pain to do a wet gluten mass test.  I used the same amount of flour and water as I did in the other experiments on this thread.    

Firstly, the Ultragrain flour seems to want to absorb more water and the dough ball took longer than 5 minutes to mix and make a dough ball.  The dough ball was then very dry.  I left the dough ball sit in a covered container for 15 minutes.

When washing the dough ball, pieces wanted to keep falling off and I had to keep picking them up and incorporating them back into the dough ball.  It can be seen on my fingers how the pieces kept wanting to fall apart.  I also had to wash for 40 minutes to make the water run clear.  When it was almost finished being washed, then pieces weren’t falling off.

I have no idea what the protein is of the Ultragrain White Whole Wheat flour, but the numbers I got for the wet gluten mass test were 1.905 ounces, or 54.03 grams. The weight of the grams fluctuated between 54.02-54.03.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Has anyone done this test on VWG?
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Has anyone done this test on VWG?

Craig,

I don't think any member has done a wet gluten test on VWG.  Do you think that would be a good test?

Norma