Author Topic: Pizza dough Trial and error  (Read 4049 times)

Offline pooadrid

Pizza dough Trial and error
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:20:13 AM »
Hello, I work in a restaurant where we make roughly around 50 pound bags of flour worth of pizza dough.
And using a simple recipe that's calls for water,salt,sugar ,oil and yeast. We have cut that to a 25 pound batch and also a 12.5 pound batch. And another recipe for 40 cups of flour batch.

Originally the recipe calls for "warm" water. Well we do about 110-120 degree water. With a 50 pound bag we do 110 and the dough proofs amazingl well no matter the time of day.
However with the 25 pound batch. We've done that at two different times and recieved two different results. Including doing the same batch the next day and receiving the opposite. We do a morning batch and a night batch and sometimes a mid day batch.

Results are rubbery dense dough.
Dry rough dough.
And then of course good easy stretch dough.
And sometimes horribly unusually dry dough. (tough to ball up)

Is there anything we can do try or some technique we can use to improve consistency?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza dough Trial and error
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
What kind of flour are you using? Pendleton POWER flour, Pendleton MONDAKO, Gold Medal All Trumps flour, etc... ???  This information will allow everyone to give you some feedback.

Also, what is your current recipe?? How much water are you adding?  Do you keep a log of measurements so that when it turns out good, you have a record of what you did that works the best for you?

Finally, have you contacted the Company that makes the flour you use? Most often, they will put you in touch with a representative of their company to help you.  Companies want you to keep using their products, so they will be very helpful, especially for a restaurant that is using 50 lb bags on a regular basis. They might even send a sales rep out to your place to show you how to make the dough. SERIOUSLY, they want to keep your business.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:49:04 PM by TomN »

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
By your description it appears you are using volume measurements, and by the results your are getting you are having inconsesent results in the dough brought about by lack of precision in the volume measurements.  Have you tried to weigh the ingredients in the container you use and then calculated what your hydration is? Your dry dough is a symtom of being under hydrated and requires more water. Also are different staff measuring or is just one person in charge of dough ? I prefer to weigh compontents but many members here go by the feel of the dough.
Don

Offline pooadrid

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
Yes we use high glutton bouncer flour.
We also do it in measurements of cups and teaspoons depending on required amount.
We have usually have 3 people doing dough.

Our current recipe is
50 pounds flour
13.5 quarts water(110-115 degrees)
1 cup yeast
1.5 cup sugar
1 cup salt
1 cup oil.

And used half this recipe for 25 pounds and the. Half that for 12.5 pounds.
We have had no issues with the dough during the winter. Is about to hit 86 and up soon. Will this effect the dough?

It has also come to the point where it has almost become eyeballing it to ensure a good batch. For instance Te 50 pound bag never fails. Usually does excellent dough. Today though it failed. And I follow the recipe to exact.
The other day I had to do a 25 pound portion. It was failing until I added more oil. In which it actually proofed like it would normally.