Author Topic: Dough Management  (Read 1702 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Dough Management
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »
Hey Guys,

I need some help. I may have the opportunity to manage the pizza production services of a soon to open restaurant here in the local area. Here is what I am looking for. I'm not looking for specific formulas or anything like that.
     What in general are your dough management practices? IE how many pies a day do you sell, what type of dough do you use, what fermentation times do have, how far in advance are your balls made, what type of proofing do you use.
     Any info you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline osipov.tima@gmail.com

Re: Dough Management
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »
Hey Guys,

I need some help. I may have the opportunity to manage the pizza production services of a soon to open restaurant here in the local area. Here is what I am looking for. I'm not looking for specific formulas or anything like that.
     What in general are your dough management practices? IE how many pies a day do you sell, what type of dough do you use, what fermentation times do have, how far in advance are your balls made, what type of proofing do you use.
     Any info you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Jerry, I am opening my own pizza place in about two months. Our dough management is not completely written down and documented for now but generally it will have these attributes:

1) the dough is made centrally by one employee in a preparation place. We will use a commercial spiral mixer
2) Bulk rise method is used for one hour then dough balls are made and refrigerated for 24 hours
3) Our drives picks up the dough balls early in the morning that were taken out of a fridge prior to a pick up

Our plan to sell 100 pies per day for a start.

4)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
osipov,

Thanks for the help  ;)

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
Jerry,

You might want to register and post your question over at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6. However, having seen questions like yours before at the PMQTT, I can tell you that there are a lot of variables. For example, there are some places where a pizza operator may only make 50 pizzas a day, and there are others that can do a few hundred pizzas a day. And the number per day varies by the particular day of the week, with Friday night and Saturday and certain holidays typically being strong and Monday and Tuesday being on the weak side. Most operators with POS systems use the data from such systems to do their planning. You can see an example of this at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10329&p=71065&hilit=#p71065. Of course, your oven(s) will have to be able to handle the volume of pizzas you would plan to make.

If you are interested in something of a general nature for a cold fermentation application, you might take a look at this PMQTT post by Tom Lehmann: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10045&p=68895&hilit=#p68895. A room temperature fermentation application will be simpler, with the main difference being the amount of yeast to use for a range of room temperatures over the course of the year. But the planning should be similar to what is described in the bodegahwy post referenced above.  

I'm sure that Tom Lehmann can do a much better job than I in answering your questions, but I believe he is out of town on a job assignment.

Peter

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
Thanks Pete

I'  check out the stuff on PMQ. The place has 2 brick ovens already the I believe were used for meat and bread.

Mangia bene  :chef:
Jerry